You think you're tough for eatin' beans everyday? Cougars v. Wolverines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You think you're tough for eatin' beans everyday? Cougars v. Wolverines

I have this sick feeling that we're going to lose this game, and soon there will be an announcement that BYU is cancelling athletics.

Help thou my unbelief.

Edit: excuse the your/you're typo. I tried to edit, but it won't let me.
    Last edited by myboynoah; 11-28-2017, 08:52 AM.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I have this sick feeling that we're going to lose this game, and soon there will be an announcement that BYU is cancelling athletics.

Help thou my unbelief.

Edit: excuse the your/you're typo. I tried to edit, but it won't let me.
    BYU will win! This is especially true if Payton Dastrup picks up where he left off. Maybe after getting into shape the confidence was all he needed to get his body to play right.

On another site a Zags fan who hangs out there questioned a comment about this being UVU's "superbowl" since some are favoring UVU on paper. He doesn't get the local culture to say that. I guarantee no one has ever grown up in Utah aspiring to go to UVU for college. It's just where a student ends up for practical reasons when looking at all their academic options (usually meaning didn't get into BYU). I would be surprised if half the students there aren't BYU fans, just like so many students at places like the U of Houston are Texas and A&M fans. it's just the lot of a commuter school, especially one that was a 2 year community college just 25 or so years ago.
    Last edited by BlueK; 11-28-2017, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
      BYU will win! This is especially true if Payton Dastrup picks up where he left off. Maybe after getting into shape the confidence was all he needed to get his body to play right.

On another site a Zags fan who hangs out there questioned a comment about this being UVU's "superbowl" since some are favoring UVU on paper. He doesn't get the local culture to say that. I guarantee no one has ever grown up in Utah aspiring to go to UVU for college. It's just where a student ends up for practical reasons when looking at all their academic options (usually meaning didn't get into BYU). I would be surprised if half the students there aren't BYU fans, just like so many students at places like the U of Houston are Texas and A&M fans. it's just the lot of a commuter school, especially one that was a 2 year community college just 25 or so years ago.
      If you don't think this game is the Superbowl for the UVU players, then you probably don't get the local culture.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post

It's their superbowl. My nephew was an athlete at UVU and beating BYU was the absolute peak for them and their students and fans.

Comment

UVU is legit this year.

Manyang (Oklahoma transfer) is a true 7 footer who is averaging 17, 11 and 2.5 blocks in only 24 minutes. Against Kentucky he went for 6, 10 and 5 blocks, against Duke he went 17 and 11. He is going to give Luke, Dastrup and Yo some trouble.

Kenneth Ogbe (Utah Transfer) is a 6'7 wing scoring 13.3 a game, he is shooting 46% from the floor and 44% from three, he also pulls down 4.5 rebounds. I think Yo will guard Ogbe.

Jake Toolson (BYU transfer) is scoring 12 a game and averaging 6 rebounds. His shooting numbers are low in the mid 30s and his 3pt% is only 23% but he is a chucker. He reminds me a lot of Johnathan Tavernari. This will be a good matchup for Elijah Bryant.

Connor Toolson is a sharp shooter also scoring 12 a game (Played with the Lone Peak 3 and might be the best of the bunch, how ironic) he is shooting about 40% from deep and can hit from anywhere. He torched BYU last year from deep. The former LP teammates TJ and Toolson will battle it out.

Brandon Randolph (Xavier transfer) starts at the point. He had 21 and 14 assists last year vs BYU. This season he is averaging 10 and 4, but shooting 46% from the floor and 44% from deep. He leads them in minutes at 34 a game. He does turn the ball over at a high rate, having as many turnovers as assists on the season. I expect Hardnett to guard him.

First guy off the bench for UVU:

Isaac Neilson (BYU transfer) we all know what he did to us last year 10-12 from the floor, 26 points, 9 rebounds. Surpassing his career point totals when he played for BYU. This season he is relegated to the bench with Manyang starting. But in just 19 minutes a game he is scoring 8 points and 6 rebounds on a blistering 72% from the floor.

After Neilson you get quite the drop off they are only about 6-7 deep. Zach Nelson who started for them last year is injured and not expected to play. Ben Nakwassah plays about 15 minutes a game he is the 2nd guy off the bench for them and backs up the guard line. Only averages about 3 points a game.

After that they have nobody averaging more than 8 minutes, we may see Cory Calvert (BYU transfer), and Joonas Tahvanainen a 6'6 wing from Finland who played in 25 games as a freshman last year but limited minutes. He is a euro so we know he is soft.

If BYU can get Manyang in foul trouble I like our chances, and we are defending much better than we were a season ago. Still UVU will have their first sell out in team history (I would imagine at least 1/3 are BYU fans) and they shoot the ball very well as a team (48% and 36% from deep) so we will need to defend.

The advantage is that outside of Manyang they are not big or athletic on the front line. They are a built a lot like we are. If we can get Yo matched up on Ogbe inside and Luke/Dastrup can occupy Manyang he should have his way with him. I like our matchups on the perimeter with Jake Toolson on Eli and TJ on Connor Toolson. I actually think for once we have a quickness advantage over them. Hardnett and Randolph should neutralize each other.

I think BYU puts together its best game of the season and squeaks out a 81-74 victory.
          *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
            UVU is legit this year.

Manyang (Oklahoma transfer) is a true 7 footer who is averaging 17, 11 and 2.5 blocks in only 24 minutes. Against Kentucky he went for 6, 10 and 5 blocks, against Duke he went 17 and 11. He is going to give Luke, Dastrup and Yo some trouble.

Kenneth Ogbe (Utah Transfer) is a 6'7 wing scoring 13.3 a game, he is shooting 46% from the floor and 44% from three, he also pulls down 4.5 rebounds. I think Yo will guard Ogbe.

Jake Toolson (BYU transfer) is scoring 12 a game and averaging 6 rebounds. His shooting numbers are low in the mid 30s and his 3pt% is only 23% but he is a chucker. He reminds me a lot of Johnathan Tavernari. This will be a good matchup for Elijah Bryant.

Connor Toolson is a sharp shooter also scoring 12 a game (Played with the Lone Peak 3 and might be the best of the bunch, how ironic) he is shooting about 40% from deep and can hit from anywhere. He torched BYU last year from deep. The former LP teammates TJ and Toolson will battle it out.

Brandon Randolph (Xavier transfer) starts at the point. He had 21 and 14 assists last year vs BYU. This season he is averaging 10 and 4, but shooting 46% from the floor and 44% from deep. He leads them in minutes at 34 a game. He does turn the ball over at a high rate, having as many turnovers as assists on the season. I expect Hardnett to guard him.

First guy off the bench for UVU:

Isaac Neilson (BYU transfer) we all know what he did to us last year 10-12 from the floor, 26 points, 9 rebounds. Surpassing his career point totals when he played for BYU. This season he is relegated to the bench with Manyang starting. But in just 19 minutes a game he is scoring 8 points and 6 rebounds on a blistering 72% from the floor.

After Neilson you get quite the drop off they are only about 6-7 deep. Zach Nelson who started for them last year is injured and not expected to play. Ben Nakwassah plays about 15 minutes a game he is the 2nd guy off the bench for them and backs up the guard line. Only averages about 3 points a game.

After that they have nobody averaging more than 8 minutes, we may see Cory Calvert (BYU transfer), and Joonas Tahvanainen a 6'6 wing from Finland who played in 25 games as a freshman last year but limited minutes. He is a euro so we know he is soft.

If BYU can get Manyang in foul trouble I like our chances, and we are defending much better than we were a season ago. Still UVU will have their first sell out in team history (I would imagine at least 1/3 are BYU fans) and they shoot the ball very well as a team (48% and 36% from deep) so we will need to defend.

The advantage is that outside of Manyang they are not big or athletic on the front line. They are a built a lot like we are. If we can get Yo matched up on Ogbe inside and Luke/Dastrup can occupy Manyang he should have his way with him. I like our matchups on the perimeter with Jake Toolson on Eli and TJ on Connor Toolson. I actually think for once we have a quickness advantage over them. Hardnett and Randolph should neutralize each other.

I think BYU puts together its best game of the season and squeaks out a 81-74 victory.
            Thanks for the review of UVU. It sounds like a potentially squeaker of a game.
            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
              Thanks for the review of UVU. It sounds like a potentially squeaker of a game.
              We'll meet you here to celebrate after!

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                UVU is currently #28 in the rpi. Of course it will come down as their schedule weakens. However, although this early in the year the rpi isn't very reliable, given that two of UVU's six games are at Kentucky and at Duke, and all their other games are wins, it's probably as good an indication of where they are right now as the ranking systems that have a starting point that depends mostly on last year, like Kenpom or Sagarin.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                  I hope so.
                  "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

These refs...
                    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                    SU

Comment

Yoeli came to play.

Mckay Cannon gets cleared to play and proceeds to nail a fadeaway three with his first shot.

Lots of fouls call on the Cougs.

Comment

Good first half.
                        One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                        SU

Comment

The "can only be a kid from Utah with that name," guard who hustles on D, with the pass first mentality and who obviously can shoot it is a breath of fresh air. Is that why (in part) Emery was heavily encouraged to take some time off?

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                            The "can only be a kid from Utah with that name," guard who hustles on D, with the pass first mentality and who obviously can shoot it is a breath of fresh air. Is that why (in part) Emery was heavily encouraged to take some time off?
                            Ha! He's from Idaho! You were way off!

Comment

I like that these guys aren't playing like they're up by 23. Good effort here.
                              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Working...
                              X