Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spencer W. Kimball quote about receiving more blessings for self-employment ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spencer W. Kimball quote about receiving more blessings for self-employment ????

Is anyone aware of a quote attributed to President Spencer W. Kimball that talks about the Lord is better able to bless members financially who are self-employed than those who are employed by somebody else?

Thanks in advance.

Joseph

More risk means more potential reward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by 0PLM9okn View Post
      Is anyone aware of a quote attributed to President Spencer W. Kimball that talks about the Lord is better able to bless members financially who are self-employed than those who are employed by somebody else?

Thanks in advance.

Joseph
      Never heard that one before, and I'm old enough to remember him.

Comment

Pretty sure that quote if it’s out there isn’t doctrinal but has been used to get people to sign up to be “self-employed “ in a Doterra downline.

My favorite SWK quotes are the ones about how any righteous LDS man can be happily married to any righteous LDS woman and that women will be happy as long as they are true to their “feminine natures.” Old school!

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
          Pretty sure that quote if it’s out there isn’t doctrinal but has been used to get people to sign up to be “self-employed “ in a Doterra downline.

My favorite SWK quotes are the ones about how any righteous LDS man can be happily married to any righteous LDS woman and that women will be happy as long as they are true to their “feminine natures.” Old school!
          Loved that guy. He's a graduate of the BYU, correct?
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
            Loved that guy. He's a graduate of the BYU, correct?
            He did a semester at UA and a semester at BYU but didn't finish because of WWI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spencer_W._Kimball

Comment

As someone who is LDS and married a little later in my adulthood, I can't tell you how freaking annoying that quote became to me as people misused it to try to persuade that it basically doesn't matter who you marry. Absolutely false and bad misuse of a prophet's words, IMO. Fortunately for me I made a great choice. Just took a while.

It's a great quote for people who are already married and should suck it up and make it work :-) But people should lay off the folks who are still working on finding the right one to marry.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                As someone who is LDS and married a little later in my adulthood, I can't tell you how freaking annoying that quote became to me as people misused it to try to persuade that it basically doesn't matter who you marry. Absolutely false and bad misuse of a prophet's words, IMO.

It's a great quote for people who are already married and should suck it up and make it work :-)
                It was also a good counterbalance to the Satruday's Warrior hoo-ha about there being just one person for you and no one else will do.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  It was also a good counterbalance to the Satruday's Warrior hoo-ha about there being just one person for you and no one else will do.
                  That is true, when understood from that angle. But in the 90s and 2000s that Saturday's Warrior idea wasn't really in anyone's minds anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                    As someone who is LDS and married a little later in my adulthood, I can't tell you how freaking annoying that quote became to me as people misused it to try to persuade that it basically doesn't matter who you marry. Absolutely false and bad misuse of a prophet's words, IMO. Fortunately for me I made a great choice. Just took a while.

It's a great quote for people who are already married and should suck it up and make it work :-) But people should lay off the folks who are still working on finding the right one to marry.
                    This was my route - I didn't get married until I was 31 and I got really tired of people asking me what the hold up was.

I really like SWK - I attended a fireside/sacrament mgt with him just after he became prophet at Clearfield HS' Auditorium. I sat in the row just behind him on the stage. All the Seminary students attending Layton/Clearfield HS and feeding JHSs were invited - 4 stakes worth. I don't think you could do that now - there must be 40 stakes in the same geographical area now
                    Last edited by happyone; 11-28-2017, 04:29 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

When I had a case of cold feet before I got married, Mrs. NWC trotted out that teaching, minus the 'feminine nature' part. Back then I believed it. It didn't play a huge part in me going through with the marriage, but that sentiment helped when I never received the inspiration I wanted telling me to marry her. I basically fell back on 'she's a good person, and I do love her, so the absence of an answer is basically a yes' from God.

Now I think that is terrible advice. But at the same time, I have a good relationship with my wife and I'm glad I married her. So thanks, I guess, for SWK and this bad teaching
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

Totally off topic, whatever that is, but this SWK discussion reminds me of a favorite story I heard from a GA nearly 40 years ago--it was told at a birthday celebration for President K.

In the 50's, shortly after surgery on his throat that removed most of his vocal chords, he was in Arizona on assignment and wanted to visit an inactive member he had known years earlier. He went alone and knocked on the member's door. A woman answered and SWK asked in a very quiet voice (which was all he could muster following the recent surgery): "Is your husband home?" The woman looked to one side and then the other, leaned forward a bit, and whispered back, "No, come in." About as racy a joke as you're going to get from the group in question.

Comment

SWK was the prophet of my youth. I loved him. He always seemed so gentle and loving and christlike. Later in life, I was a startled to read some of his earlier material and discover that he was kind of a hardliner in his younger days. But life softened his rough edges and turned him into a wonderful prophet. Will always love him for initiating the change on the priesthood ban.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            SWK was the prophet of my youth. I loved him. He always seemed so gentle and loving and christlike. Later in life, I was a startled to read some of his earlier material and discover that he was kind of a hardliner in his younger days. But life softened his rough edges and turned him into a wonderful prophet. Will always love him for initiating the change on the priesthood ban.
                            I have similar thoughts about SWK - loved him. His signature is on my mission call. As a teenager, I was supposed to be watching GC but was watching football instead. My dad knocked on my bedroom door and told me that the prophet would be speaking soon and I might want to switch channels. SWK spoke very briefly and shared his testimony. It had a profound impact on me.
                            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Working...
                            X