2017 Coaching Carousel Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I'm really worried that Taggart ends up in America's most penis shaped state coaching soon.
    Not this year Right? The latest I read was Jimbo is staying put. If he does leave and FSU gets Taggart I will be very worried because I think Oregon is the one job Frost would take over Nebraska right now and I couldn't blame him.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
      Ok, so there is a nutcase in Schiano's corner. But I still haven't seen anything beyond that one line in one McQueary's depositions about Schiano knowing anything about the abuse, and McQuery never even talked to Schiano about it. Maybe he was a part of the cover up but what is out there certainly didn't prove it enough for him to be investigated and I'm having a hard time seeing that it justified an internet mob takedown.

Like I said the whole Penn State affair disgusts me but mob takedowns like this make me really uncomfortable when the target isn't clearly guilty. Is there info out there I'm missing?
      Sure it is not nearly enough to prosecute, but can you really blame fans for not wanting any kind of PennState taint in their program? Stupid hire by the AD if you ask me.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I think by now UT fans just didn’t want Schiano, or they were upset they couldn’t land a bigger name (like Kelly), so they used whatever excuse they could find to stick it to the administration. Schiano’s name was tainted before they tried to hire him, but let’s be honest, they would allow the school to hire Nick Saban if he had the same allegations surrounding him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          I think by now UT fans just didn’t want Schiano, or they were upset they couldn’t land a bigger name (like Kelly), so they used whatever excuse they could find to stick it to the administration. Schiano’s name was tainted before they tried to hire him, but let’s be honest, they would allow the school to hire Nick Saban if he had the same allegations surrounding him.

Don't know that I agree.
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

I don't think Schiano is a great hire either way. Andy Staples:

https://www.si.com/college-football/...est-penn-state

We can argue about whether the majority of the Tennessee fans who revolted to the idea of the Volunteers’ since-squelched hiring of Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano really were incensed—as they claimed—because of Schiano’s alleged role in the Jerry Sandusky scandal. An accusation of a years-ago comment was never investigated and Schiano was never officially accused of any wrongdoing because he was accused by double hearsay. He also has denied it happened. We’ll unfortunately never know the truth in that matter. We also will never truly know if this is why Tennessee fans rose up Sunday or if they were angry for football reasons—because Schiano went 68–67 at Rutgers and got blown out by former Vols coach Butch Jones’s Cincinnati team near the end of his tenure there.

The bottom line is a vocal component of the Tennessee fan base did not want Schiano coaching at Tennessee. The customers did not want to buy the program Tennessee was prepared to sell them. So they spoke up with a voice they wouldn’t have had 10 years ago. In response, Tennessee’s administration did something it probably wouldn’t have done 10 years ago. It listened.
              Yeah, I hate mobs too. But does Schiano have some fundamental right to that job? These are consumers not happy with a product.

Another issue Sunday was what appeared to be an effort by some of the most influential voices in college football’s media corps to tell Tennessee fans to shut up and accept the hire. Whether this was because those people believe Schiano to be a great coach or because they want to stay on the good side of agent Jimmy Sexton is irrelevant. It came off as people in our business talking down to our customers who already had made their decision on the issue. We do that often. I’m just as guilty of this as anyone, and Sunday’s events should make all of us step back and consider listening to our customers a little more.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

kwhitt taking a job at one of these schools would be the best thing to happen to byu in a long time
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Whittingham is not an idiot. He knows that if he takes a job at one of these places, he's going to be expected to win 10+ games a season and contend for a national title once every 3-4 years. At Utah, the fans are content with him getting to a bowl game and contending for the Pac-12 South once every 3-4 years. But like I said, he's not an idiot, so he going to use this as leverage to bilk the Utah taxpayers for more money and more years. He gets more $$$ and expectations remain lowish. Win-win for the Kwhitter.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Fisher seems like a good get for aTm, but I'm skeptical that he's going to be an upgrade over Sumlin.

Aggy needs to be content with 6-8 win seasons with an outlier double digit win season every 6 to 7 years.
                    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      I don't think Schiano is a great hire either way. Andy Staples:

https://www.si.com/college-football/...est-penn-state

Yeah, I hate mobs too. But does Schiano have some fundamental right to that job? These are consumers not happy with a product.
                      Ok. Maybe they were just unhappy with a pedestrian hire, and I have no problem with that or a campaign to prevent it. But the vehicle they used tarred Schiano in such a way that he will be untouchable as a college head coach for the rest of his career. Maybe he is guilty and deserves it, but like I said the lack of evidence makes me uncomfortable with what was done. He will be fine and has made a lot of money in his career so I don't feel too bad about it.

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      Whittingham is not an idiot. He knows that if he takes a job at one of these places, he's going to be expected to win 10+ games a season and contend for a national title once every 3-4 years. At Utah, the fans are content with him getting to a bowl game and contending for the Pac-12 South once every 3-4 years. But like I said, he's not an idiot, so he going to use this as leverage to bilk the Utah taxpayers for more money and more years. He gets more $$$ and expectations remain lowish. Win-win for the Kwhitter.
                      He will need to lower fan expectations further with Kelly at UCLA and Sumlin likely heading to ASU.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                        At some point, he's going to do the math and see that he can get a big contract at a big school, work for a few years, and then take the money when he gets fired; or he can continue to work at Utah for another 10 years and make the same amount of money. When he realizes he can make the same money for less work before retiring, he'll take that job and it will be his last.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          At some point, he's going to do the math and see that he can get a big contract at a big school, work for a few years, and then take the money when he gets fired; or he can continue to work at Utah for another 10 years and make the same amount of money. When he realizes he can make the same money for less work before retiring, he'll take that job and it will be his last.
                          Then come to BYU for his retirement job after he has failed in one of those pressure cooker jobs, like TAMU.
                          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                              I'm really worried that Taggart ends up in America's most penis shaped state coaching soon.
                              What was the former OC's name? Scott Frost?

You heard it hear first.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Comment

Working...
                                X