View Poll Results: Who is NOT coaching football at BYU next year?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kalani Sitake

1 3.85%
  • Ty Detmer

10 38.46%
  • Ilaisa Tuiaki

2 7.69%
  • Ed Lamb

1 3.85%
  • Ben Cahoon

21 80.77%
  • Steve Kaufusi

6 23.08%
  • Mike Empey

0 0%
  • Jenaro Gilford

3 11.54%
  • Steve Clark

3 11.54%
  • Reno Mahe

14 53.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 2017-2018 BYU Football Coaching Turnover Poll

Default The 2017-2018 BYU Football Coaching Turnover Poll

Based on your best guess, which coaches will not be returning to coach at BYU next year. Vote for those you think will be gone.

Note, if it's a coordinator that you think will be demoted, that doesn't count. So if you think that Ty stays, but only as a QB coach, he doesn't get a vote.

no way they fire ty
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Pre-Historic Man

I don't know how Ben survives. Reno had a lot of injuries and not much talent to deal with. Maybe Tuiaki goes.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

The poll is broken. I can't vote to "retain the bunch of them."

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    The poll is broken. I can't vote to "retain the bunch of them."
    Yes, the same way that the site is broken in that it still allows you to post here.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    no way they fire ty
    Pretty sad if true.

no way they fire ty
    BYU can't fire their Heisman winning QB and if they do they better have some made up job in the athletic department like special council to the BOT on sports to move him into.

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

They better fire or demote Ty or Kalani is going to find himself as a former head coach this time next year.
    Last edited by New Mexican Disaster; 11-22-2017 at 11:58 PM.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Pretty sad if true.
    KS will be fired and Ty will get KS's job.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    KS will be fired and Ty will get KS's job.
    Haha imagine that. That'd be insane

Kalani Sitake
    Why he should stay:

Recruiting is his (alleged) strength. That takes time. We saw what his team was able to do last year with strong senior leadership, and that’s go 8-4 with all four losses extremely close. To a large degree, he inherited a program with some major challenges (scholarship crunch, fewer offensive playmakers, difficult schedules) and two years isn’t enough to fairly evaluate. Strong tie with Coach Edwards - desperately wants to carry on his legacy. He’s passionate. He bleeds BYU. He also appears to be well liked by the players (maybe to a fault).

Why he should go:
    BYU should never lose to schools like UMass at home. There appears to be a lack of accountability with issues from a lot of players. Recruiting hasn’t hit the ceiling we all hoped/thought it would. The way he’s thrown the offense under the bus in press conferences while seemingly given the defense a pass hasn’t made the team any better.

What I think should happen:
    He’s given one more season in Provo for sure, but needs to show improvement in multiple areas. This probably means some turnover in staff away from “friendlies” to bring in varying points of view. He needs to cool it on throwing the offense under the bus though.

What I think will happen:
    I think what should happen will happen and Kalani gets next year to show progress.

Ty Detmer
    Why he should stay:

Lots of injuries on the offensive side of the ball. Lack of consistency on a roster that was already low on playmakers is tough to succeed. There have been times where it appears the biggest issue isnít scheme but execution. Heís in the holy trinity of BYU QBs with McMahon and Young and might deserve a longer leash than your typical OC.

Why he should go:
    Worst. BYU Offense. Ever. We lack an offensive identity - what do we do that teams have to commit to stopping? I honestly canít think of anything. He hasnít been able to get the most out of a physically talented Tanner Mangum. Play calling at times has been suspect, abandoning the run with inexperienced QBs throwing the ball. The QB situation with redshirts and who is starting has been a bit of a joke. A huge part of that is injuries, but thatís only a part of it.

If it wasnít Ty Detmer (or maybe Steve Young) I think weíd be looking at changing offensive coordinators this year without question. So I think the ďshould happenĒ is make a change. The caveat here is I think if they feel Ty has recruiting value and has grown enough, I could give him a pass if he either focuses on being the OC but moves to the booth, or gives up a lot of responsibilities and focuses on just being the QB coach.

I think there is a 60% chance Ty is back next year as the OC, mostly because of who he is and what he means to the school. I do think that if he does stay, heís getting help in likely with someone else serving as Co-OC who is in the booth.

Ilaisa Tuiaki
    Why he should stay:

Kalani thinks highly enough of him that he brought him with him from Oregon State. Our DL play has been fine - not outstanding, but definitely not the worst part of the defense. Defensively, we’ve been less bad than the offense, and in total fairness, the defense has been asked to do a lot/stay on the field a lot.

Why he should go:
    Where offense, I think there are a lot of issues at play (injuries, talent, scheme, execution) I think defensively we’ve dramatically underperformed what we should be. Fred Warner is uber talented and I don’t feel like we’ve unleashed him and taken advantage of his abilities. The game plan and defense seems very vanilla and you have eleven guys playing as eleven guys defensively and not playing together as a unit.

I feel like we haven't played to our talent level this year, and I think last year we benefitted from the habits and efforts they learned under Bronco. I think a change at defensive coordinator would be a good thing for BYU.

I think he stays in the same role next year. I do think his leash is short and that Kalani is going to spend more time focused on the defensive side of the ball next year than he did this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle View Post
    Kalani Sitake
    Why he should stay:

Recruiting is his (alleged) strength. That takes time. We saw what his team was able to do last year with strong senior leadership, and that’s go 8-4 with all four losses extremely close. To a large degree, he inherited a program with some major challenges (scholarship crunch, fewer offensive playmakers, difficult schedules) and two years isn’t enough to fairly evaluate. Strong tie with Coach Edwards - desperately wants to carry on his legacy. He’s passionate. He bleeds BYU. He also appears to be well liked by the players (maybe to a fault).

Why he should go:
    BYU should never lose to schools like UMass at home. There appears to be a lack of accountability with issues from a lot of players. Recruiting hasn’t hit the ceiling we all hoped/thought it would. The way he’s thrown the offense under the bus in press conferences while seemingly given the defense a pass hasn’t made the team any better.

He’s given one more season in Provo for sure, but needs to show improvement in multiple areas. This probably means some turnover in staff away from “friendlies” to bring in varying points of view. He needs to cool it on throwing the offense under the bus though.

I think what should happen will happen and Kalani gets next year to show progress.
    Ty Detmer
    Why he should stay:

Lots of injuries on the offensive side of the ball. Lack of consistency on a roster that was already low on playmakers is tough to succeed. There have been times where it appears the biggest issue isn’t scheme but execution. He’s in the holy trinity of BYU QBs with McMahon and Young and might deserve a longer leash than your typical OC.

Why he should go:
    Worst. BYU Offense. Ever. We lack an offensive identity - what do we do that teams have to commit to stopping? I honestly can’t think of anything. He hasn’t been able to get the most out of a physically talented Tanner Mangum. Play calling at times has been suspect, abandoning the run with inexperienced QBs throwing the ball. The QB situation with redshirts and who is starting has been a bit of a joke. A huge part of that is injuries, but that’s only a part of it.

If it wasn’t Ty Detmer (or maybe Steve Young) I think we’d be looking at changing offensive coordinators this year without question. So I think the “should happen” is make a change. The caveat here is I think if they feel Ty has recruiting value and has grown enough, I could give him a pass if he either focuses on being the OC but moves to the booth, or gives up a lot of responsibilities and focuses on just being the QB coach.

I think there is a 60% chance Ty is back next year as the OC, mostly because of who he is and what he means to the school. I do think that if he does stay, he’s getting help in likely with someone else serving as Co-OC who is in the booth.
    Ilaisa Tuiaki
    Why he should stay:

Kalani thinks highly enough of him that he brought him with him from Oregon State. Our DL play has been fine - not outstanding, but definitely not the worst part of the defense. Defensively, we’ve been less bad than the offense, and in total fairness, the defense has been asked to do a lot/stay on the field a lot.

Why he should go:
    Where offense, I think there are a lot of issues at play (injuries, talent, scheme, execution) I think defensively we’ve dramatically underperformed what we should be. Fred Warner is uber talented and I don’t feel like we’ve unleashed him and taken advantage of his abilities. The game plan and defense seems very vanilla and you have eleven guys playing as eleven guys defensively and not playing together as a unit.

I feel like we haven't played to our talent level this year, and I think last year we benefitted from the habits and efforts they learned under Bronco. I think a change at defensive coordinator would be a good thing for BYU.

I think he stays in the same role next year. I do think his leash is short and that Kalani is going to spend more time focused on the defensive side of the ball next year than he did this year.
    tbh sizzle is the only poster on this fair chat blog with takes worth reading
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Ed Lamb
    Why he should stay:

Has head coaching experience turning around the SUU program. As a non-LDS, BYU grad, he understands and can communicate with kids. Has a strong reputation of being a good recruiter and able to identify and develop talent. Buzz before the season had some worried about him leaving for a head gig.

Why he should go:
    Special teams has dramatically underperformed in the kicking game and return game (maybe this is lack of talent). Safeties really havenít been very good this year (though in fairness, last year Kai was really a difference maker). Havenít seen many diamonds really develop. Why hasnít his head coaching experience turning SUU around had an impact at BYU?

I like Lambís pedigree a lot, having worked with Tom Cable and Jim Harbaugh, and having been given credit for finding/developing quite a few players at SUU. He was one of Kalaniís first hires, so Iím inclined to say ďgive him one moreĒ with the rest of the staff and let them prove it out.

I think heíll be back next year.

Ben Cahoon
    Why he should stay:

WR talent he inherited was not good. He’s an alleged technician and as a player, definitely out performed his measurables. He seems like a nice guy and it’s rude to fire someone, then hire them back, only to fire them again, right? There aren’t any better options?

Why he should go:
    Our receivers are really, really bad. I don’t think I’ve seen much improvement from the crew this year - lots of drops, so-so routes, limited yards after catch. I can’t imagine he’s a guy kids are dying to play for.

Sorry Ben. I hoped Cahoon 2.0 would be better than Cahoon 1.0, not worse.

I think I’d like to remember Ben Cahoon for catches he made at BYU laying out for passes more than for leading up terrible receiving corps at BYU - twice. But I think he’ll finish up his second stint at BYU in about five to ten days.

Reno Made
    Why he should stay:

Likable personality which should translate to recruiting well. RBs appear to have gotten better at times this year. Versatile enough - he played WR and RB in college, can that skill set translate as a coach?

Why he should go:
    Inconsistent RB rotation early in the year. Feels like a lot of backs have been in and out and thatís made it difficult to get continuity. Fumbles hurt us at times this season.

I think in most cases, you need your RB coach to contribute in some other fashion beyond just coaching RBs - in college ideally as a dynamite recruiter. Maybe Renoís responsible for more recruiting success than I know (Iím not that plugged in) but I think if youíre re-evaluating the offensive staff especially, he gets shifted out or probably reassigned within the athletic department somewhere.

I donít think Mahe is on the staff next year in a coaching capacity.

Mike Empey
    Why he should stay:

Outside of the UMass game, the OL has improved. Not great, but definitely has trended up (which really has been the case since Weber left). OL has the potential to be a strength next year, and I like the talent that we’ve got coming in/off redshirts.

Why he should go:
    While the OL has been better, it’s still had its struggles. We couldn’t dominate UMass.

Empey was a solid coach in his first stint, and has been solid this time around. I felt like he probably got a bit of a raw deal the first time, and I hope BYU keeps him around this time.

I’d be pretty surprised (and disappointed) if Empey is not back at BYU next year.

Steve Clark
    Why he should stay:

Bushman is the bright spot on the offense. Experience as an OC and QB coach at Weber and SUU could be helpful on an inexperienced staff. Likely fits BYUís budget. OL was strong when he was here as a GA, has that impact been realized?

Why he should go:
    No other TEs have made much of an impact this year. Doesnít seem like the strongest recruiter or a guy Iíd be excited about playing for, though that may be an unfair evaluation. Weber got better on offense after he left. Should he get credit for laying the foundation and bringing players in?

Given the offensive struggles this year, I think they should look and see what other options exist, while not fully closing the door on Clark.

I think itís a 50/50 shot that heís back at BYU next year.

Steve Kaufusi
    Why he should stay:

Longest tenured staff member. BYU’s DL had been solid under his guidance for 15 seasons. He's put quite a few players in the NFL (Ziggy, Bronson, Poppinga) and had others like Jorgensen and Tuiloma and Tialavea who probably deserved more of a shot. I think he's a very technically sound coach who has gotten a lot out of the DL talent he's had.

Why he should go:
    I don’t think he’s the strongest recruiter (although credit for breeding his sons and building them into great players). Linebackers haven’t been very good this year - even as far as calling them a disappointment.

I think he’s out of place coaching the linebackers. Move him back to DL or find a place for him in the ADs office.

May be a crazy hunch, but I think Kaufusi is not on staff next year.

Jenaro Gilford
    Why he should stay:

Non-LDS, AA and BYU loyal. We need to take advantage of that. Heís been successful in developing talent at SUU. Corners have dealt with a lot of injuries this year (Troy, McChesney) and were very solid last year. Gets extra credit for sealing the Utah win in 2001.

Why he should go:
    There have been a few mental lapses from our corners at key times this season where theyíve given up big plays. Our corners donít seem like theyíre playing as well this year, though part of that is because of injuries, part because they donít have the strong safety support, and partly because the pressure isnít as strong this year as it was last year.

He stays, unless there is someone clearly better. I canít think of anyone off the top of my head that would fit the bill. I think his positive outweigh any negatives here. I think heís a young coach who will continue to get better. I also think right now, he fits BYUís budget, so he stays.

He stays unless Ed Lamb leaves for another opportunity and takes Jenaro with him.

tbh sizzle is the only poster on this fair chat blog with takes worth reading
    Appreciate that, but not even close to being true.

Princeps Inter Pares

Appreciate that, but not even close to being true.
    So nobody is worth reading, then.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Good stuff Sizzle. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Good stuff Sizzle. Thanks!
    Agreed. Can't really find fault with anything there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I’m glad we can all agree Cahoon is terrible.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Iím glad we can all agree Cahoon is terrible.
    Now that you mention it, I seem to remember some decent improvement in the receiving core during Cahoon's first stint as WR coach. Not so much this time around.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Agree on these takes.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Ty Detmer officially out as OC.

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Ty Detmer officially out as OC.
    Is he out altogether, or just as OC? I hope they keep him on as QB coach.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν