Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ben Cahoon
    Why he should stay:

WR talent he inherited was not good. He’s an alleged technician and as a player, definitely out performed his measurables. He seems like a nice guy and it’s rude to fire someone, then hire them back, only to fire them again, right? There aren’t any better options?

Why he should go:
    Our receivers are really, really bad. I don’t think I’ve seen much improvement from the crew this year - lots of drops, so-so routes, limited yards after catch. I can’t imagine he’s a guy kids are dying to play for.

What I think should happen:
    Sorry Ben. I hoped Cahoon 2.0 would be better than Cahoon 1.0, not worse.

What I think will happen:
    I think I’d like to remember Ben Cahoon for catches he made at BYU laying out for passes more than for leading up terrible receiving corps at BYU - twice. But I think he’ll finish up his second stint at BYU in about five to ten days.

Comment

Reno Made
      Why he should stay:

Likable personality which should translate to recruiting well. RBs appear to have gotten better at times this year. Versatile enough - he played WR and RB in college, can that skill set translate as a coach?

Why he should go:
      Inconsistent RB rotation early in the year. Feels like a lot of backs have been in and out and that’s made it difficult to get continuity. Fumbles hurt us at times this season.

I think in most cases, you need your RB coach to contribute in some other fashion beyond just coaching RBs - in college ideally as a dynamite recruiter. Maybe Reno’s responsible for more recruiting success than I know (I’m not that plugged in) but I think if you’re re-evaluating the offensive staff especially, he gets shifted out or probably reassigned within the athletic department somewhere.

I don’t think Mahe is on the staff next year in a coaching capacity.

Comment

Mike Empey
        Why he should stay:

Outside of the UMass game, the OL has improved. Not great, but definitely has trended up (which really has been the case since Weber left). OL has the potential to be a strength next year, and I like the talent that we’ve got coming in/off redshirts.

Why he should go:
        While the OL has been better, it’s still had its struggles. We couldn’t dominate UMass.

Empey was a solid coach in his first stint, and has been solid this time around. I felt like he probably got a bit of a raw deal the first time, and I hope BYU keeps him around this time.

I’d be pretty surprised (and disappointed) if Empey is not back at BYU next year.

Comment

Steve Clark
          Why he should stay:

Bushman is the bright spot on the offense. Experience as an OC and QB coach at Weber and SUU could be helpful on an inexperienced staff. Likely fits BYU’s budget. OL was strong when he was here as a GA, has that impact been realized?

Why he should go:
          No other TEs have made much of an impact this year. Doesn’t seem like the strongest recruiter or a guy I’d be excited about playing for, though that may be an unfair evaluation. Weber got better on offense after he left. Should he get credit for laying the foundation and bringing players in?

Given the offensive struggles this year, I think they should look and see what other options exist, while not fully closing the door on Clark.

I think it’s a 50/50 shot that he’s back at BYU next year.

Comment

Steve Kaufusi
            Why he should stay:

Longest tenured staff member. BYU’s DL had been solid under his guidance for 15 seasons. He's put quite a few players in the NFL (Ziggy, Bronson, Poppinga) and had others like Jorgensen and Tuiloma and Tialavea who probably deserved more of a shot. I think he's a very technically sound coach who has gotten a lot out of the DL talent he's had.

Why he should go:
            I don’t think he’s the strongest recruiter (although credit for breeding his sons and building them into great players). Linebackers haven’t been very good this year - even as far as calling them a disappointment.

I think he’s out of place coaching the linebackers. Move him back to DL or find a place for him in the ADs office.

May be a crazy hunch, but I think Kaufusi is not on staff next year.

Comment

Jenaro Gilford
              Why he should stay:

Non-LDS, AA and BYU loyal. We need to take advantage of that. He’s been successful in developing talent at SUU. Corners have dealt with a lot of injuries this year (Troy, McChesney) and were very solid last year. Gets extra credit for sealing the Utah win in 2001.

Why he should go:
              There have been a few mental lapses from our corners at key times this season where they’ve given up big plays. Our corners don’t seem like they’re playing as well this year, though part of that is because of injuries, part because they don’t have the strong safety support, and partly because the pressure isn’t as strong this year as it was last year.

He stays, unless there is someone clearly better. I can’t think of anyone off the top of my head that would fit the bill. I think his positive outweigh any negatives here. I think he’s a young coach who will continue to get better. I also think right now, he fits BYU’s budget, so he stays.

He stays unless Ed Lamb leaves for another opportunity and takes Jenaro with him.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                tbh sizzle is the only poster on this fair chat blog with takes worth reading
                Appreciate that, but not even close to being true.

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                  Appreciate that, but not even close to being true.
                  So nobody is worth reading, then.
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Good stuff Sizzle. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                      Good stuff Sizzle. Thanks!
                      Agreed. Can't really find fault with anything there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I’m glad we can all agree Cahoon is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                          I’m glad we can all agree Cahoon is terrible.
                          Now that you mention it, I seem to remember some decent improvement in the receiving core during Cahoon's first stint as WR coach. Not so much this time around.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Agree on these takes.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Ty Detmer officially out as OC.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                                Ty Detmer officially out as OC.
                                Is he out altogether, or just as OC? I hope they keep him on as QB coach.
                                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Working...
                                X