Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 39

Thread: Christmas 2017

  1. #1
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,063

    Default Christmas 2017

    Happy holidays to all.

    Question/request for advice as shopping season approaches. Our DVD player has outlived its useful life and we will be in the market for its replacement this holiday season. We are set on getting at least a blu-Ray quality player, but if we are getting that we are not above spending the incremental amount more to get a game system that will play blu-rays.

    Can anybody report on how their system has worked and whether they would recommend theirs?
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  2. #2

    Default

    ps4 good
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  3. #3

    Default

    Christmas 2017 or Christmas 2009?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Happy holidays to all.

    Question/request for advice as shopping season approaches. Our DVD player has outlived its useful life and we will be in the market for its replacement this holiday season. We are set on getting at least a blu-Ray quality player, but if we are getting that we are not above spending the incremental amount more to get a game system that will play blu-rays.

    Can anybody report on how their system has worked and whether they would recommend theirs?
    We got an Xbox One a couple years ago. We wondered about having a game system that might conceivably not be a great Blu-Ray player. But it's works just fine. I'd recommend it, especially if you're going to cut the cable cord and subscribe to online services. It does a pretty good job of that also. But since that last Christmas, it's basically become an expensive Netflix/Amazon Prime/Youtube viewer. No one in my family plays Xbox games or watches Blu-ray discs anymore

  5. #5
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,927

    Default

    We have video game consoles, but those are set up in a game room. In our family room we haven’t even had a DVD player for almost 2 years since it stopped working. The PS4 works well, but I’ve been shocked how we haven’t missed having a DVD player at all.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  6. #6

    Default

    convert your home collection of movies/videos/etc to digital and run a plex server.

  7. #7
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    27,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Christmas 2017 or Christmas 2009?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  8. #8
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    9,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    We have video game consoles, but those are set up in a game room. In our family room we haven’t even had a DVD player for almost 2 years since it stopped working. The PS4 works well, but I’ve been shocked how we haven’t missed having a DVD player at all.
    We still have a functioning blu-ray player, but it rarely gets used. No gaming systems, but my wife is talking about getting a system with Mario Kart for Christmas "for the kids ".

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  9. #9
    UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Meridian, ID
    Posts
    770

    Default

    We have a Sony BDP-S6500 Blue-ray player. While it's fine for playing recorded movies, we use it mostly for watching YouTube and Netflix. I feel that it's an amazingly poor design for watching stuff off of the internet. We'll often have to reset the thing by pulling power from it for five seconds, then it doesn't want to reconnect to WiFi right away. This one product has totally changed my opinion of Sony, from good to not so good.

    You're probably better off getting a system that you can also play games on.

  10. #10
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    14,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Happy holidays to all.

    Question/request for advice as shopping season approaches. Our DVD player has outlived its useful life and we will be in the market for its replacement this holiday season. We are set on getting at least a blu-Ray quality player, but if we are getting that we are not above spending the incremental amount more to get a game system that will play blu-rays.

    Can anybody report on how their system has worked and whether they would recommend theirs?
    I have the xbox one s that I'll be upgrading to the Xbox One X, which is the current high performing system with full 4K gaming support. It will play blu-rays, but I've all but switched to 100% streaming media. I guess the big question is 'what kind of games do you like?' since all the systems (minus the Switch) will play blu rays just fine.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  11. #11

    Default

    https://www.target.com/p/xbox-one-s-...50#lnk=sametab

    with 25 dollar gift card puts it at 165

  12. #12
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,723

    Default

    Merry Christmas! Just finished with presents. Time to hit the hay.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  13. #13
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,983

    Default

    Merry Christmas everyone.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  14. #14
    lollygagger hostile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,346

    Default

    I’ll be up for several more hours. Idiocy doesn’t recognize the Christmas holiday.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  15. #15
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frog Pond Grange
    Posts
    6,363

    Default

    Screw the kids... I'm getting what I want this year...

    http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-env...ne---34-b025xt


    Merry Christmas Everyone!

    When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream


  16. #16
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,417

    Default

    Merry Xmas everyone! Slept in until 7 and now time for presents!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  17. #17

    Default

    It’s 7am and the kids still haven’t come downstairs. I don’t know if it’s because the heater stopped working sometime last night (62 degrees currently) or because they’ve grown up. But I’ll take it.

  18. #18
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,237

    Default

    6:01AM....I told them "not before 6AM." I was sleepy right until we finished opening gifts. Now, I am tired, but not sleepy.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  19. #19
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,526

    Default

    Merry Christmas everyone!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  20. #20
    Board Bookworm happyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Davis County
    Posts
    4,394

    Default

    Happy Christmas everyone - Ms. Happyone and I slept in till about 8. 2 of the kids our home for the holidays. However, they were never the early risers even when they were little.

    It snowed most of yesterday so we have our White Christmas. I now have to go and shovel

    I may be small, but I'm slow.

    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

  21. #21
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    5,157

    Default

    Bought myself a sous vide thingy for Christmas. Can't wait to peruse that thread on hear and learn wisdom.

    Also surprised my wife with an Osprey pack. She thinks I'm the best.

    Merry Christmas everyone.

  22. #22
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,417

    Default

    MJs Xmas present to me



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  23. #23

    Default

    Niiiice, Moliere.
    I’m rooting for the upset!

  24. #24
    Senior Member Clark Addison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Beautiful South
    Posts
    7,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    MJs Xmas present to me



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey, I know some other Houston Mormons who are there. Say Hi to Mark and Jen if you see them.

  25. #25

    Default

    Merry Christmas.

    The son woke us up at 6:10 which isn't bad at all. We continued our tradition of not exchanging presents, just giving gifts to the kid.

    We are relaxing after a dinner of homemade french onion soup, NY strip steak given to us from a recently slaughtered cow, and Aberlour a'bunadh scotch.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  26. #26

    Default

    watched the pope at midnight and up at 7 () for brunch at the fairmont, then home for presents. thought i won christmas with the surprise louis v, but my wife got the speedmaster i’ve had my eye on for a while. merry christmas, friendos.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  27. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    MJs Xmas present to me



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are at the Heart of Dallas bowl???? You are an amazing bandwagoner! GO UTES!!

  28. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Merry Christmas! Just finished with presents. Time to hit the hay.
    Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    I’ll be up for several more hours. Idiocy doesn’t recognize the Christmas holiday.
    This year was brutal for me in the Santa's elf department. My 3 y.o. baby girl is infatuated with cooking and has been asking for a bigger kitchen (we have a small Little Tykes one) with some metal pots and pans. Mrs. D ordered one, and I decided to get ahead of the game and assemble it early (on Thursday night). Holy eff! 257 parts! I finished 4hrs and 15 mins after I started, and I'm not an idiot when it comes to building and/or tools. I actually sort of knew what I was in for when I saw the brand, as I had assembled a dollhouse from the same brand a couple years ago.

    On top of that, I had two bikes to assemble on Christmas Eve, which wouldn't have been too bad, except one of the bikes was missing a couple parts (Grrr--I improvised with my own supply of fasteners, but still) and the other bike's hand brakes had not been assembled, attached, or wired through the frame (despite the instructions ensuring me this was done at the factory). So what I expected to be a 1-hr job for two bikes ended up being 3 hrs (and I still probably need to take my son's bike to a bike shop to have them fine-tune the brakes).

    Now for the sad part. By the time I was done with my early assembly of the play kitchen on Thursday night, it was after 2 am. The thing was heavy and awkward, so I asked Mrs. D to help me move it to the next-door neighbor's garage (where we were storing the Santa stuff). She suggested we put it at the back of our storage closet under the stairs and throw a blanket over it. I worried that someone might see it, so I suggested we at least move it to our closet, where we could keep our bedroom door locked. But I was tired so, when Mrs. D said she thought it would be fine in the storage closet, I acquiesced. After all, our kids rarely go into this closet (I added the closet when we moved in by cutting in and framing a door under the stairs, so it's not dry walled and there's only a pull-chain light--old school!). I worked half-day Friday, and then we hit the road to go spend a couple of nights in St. Double G with my parents before Christmas.

    Well, apparently while helping Mrs. D get packed for our trip on Friday, our oldest daughter, H, went into the closet looking for some sleeping bags. Later that morning, she casually asked Mrs. D "Mom, what did M ask for from Santa?" Mrs. D wasn't really connecting the dots at that point, and said "a kitchen". Later, H cornered Mrs. D and asked if Santa is real. It was right in front of our 6 year old, so Mrs. D quickly reassured her that Santa is real, but suggested they talk about it more at another time. But by then, Mrs. D realized that H had likely gone looking for sleeping bags and stumbled into the play kitchen. While in St. G, H waited for the right moment and then said "Mom, can we have that talk now?" So 36 hours before Christmas, my daughter learned that Santa isn't real. She was noticeably bummed, but took it well, all in all. According to Mrs. D, H's first statement after learning the truth was "wow, I feel bad for asking for such big stuff. I thought I was doing you and dad a favor by making sure to ask for the big stuff from Santa."

    Which brings me to the silver lining. H was not a young child with many Santa years ahead of her. Rather, she turned 12 a couple months ago. She got to believe for longer than most. It has actually blown my mind and simultaneously concerned me that she has never shown any doubt at all about the reality of Santa. I wanted to tell her after last Christmas, so she didn't go into middle school as the only kid who believes in Santa. But this idea was soundly rejected by Mrs. D, who has threatened me with death, or worse, if I take it upon myself to tell any of our kids about Santa before they ask. When Mrs. D asked me what I wanted for Christmas a few weeks back, I jokingly said "All I want for Christmas is for H to learn that Santa isn't real. I hesitated a beat and then added "before next Christmas." It became a sort of running gag between us over the last few weeks. Still, after another full year of believing, I didn't want H to find out just a day before Christmas. So while I am glad that my pre-teen knows about Santa, I am saddened that it happened when it happened. Another week wouldn't have hurt, and would have afforded her one more magical Christmas morning.

    I'd be lying if I didn't admit that a small part of me laughed at the fact that it was Mrs. D's own decision that caused H to find out. But while a younger, less wise DH would have seized the opportunity to point this out, my 16+ years of marital wisdom helped me realize that Mrs. D was already beating herself up for this. So I chose, instead, to console her by pointing out that 1) we now have someone to help us with that Elf on the Shelf emm-effer, and 2) we are fortunate that it was H and not one of the other kids who saw the play kitchen.

    Last night, after the presents had all been opened and we were settling down to watch a movie, I was out in the kitchen alone, making myself a snack. H came up to me and gave me a hug and said "Thanks for the bike, dad. And for all the stuff Santa brought me for other Christmases." Needless to say, it was a bittersweet Christmas for the DH household, and I learned the hard way that sometimes getting what you want for Christmas isn't always as good as it sounds.

    /catharsis
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  29. #29
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    This year was brutal for me in the Santa's elf department. My 3 y.o. baby girl is infatuated with cooking and has been asking for a bigger kitchen (we have a small Little Tykes one) with some metal pots and pans. Mrs. D ordered one, and I decided to get ahead of the game and assemble it early (on Thursday night). Holy eff! 257 parts! I finished 4hrs and 15 mins after I started, and I'm not an idiot when it comes to building and/or tools. I actually sort of knew what I was in for when I saw the brand, as I had assembled a dollhouse from the same brand a couple years ago.

    On top of that, I had two bikes to assemble on Christmas Eve, which wouldn't have been too bad, except one of the bikes was missing a couple parts (Grrr--I improvised with my own supply of fasteners, but still) and the other bike's hand brakes had not been assembled, attached, or wired through the frame (despite the instructions ensuring me this was done at the factory). So what I expected to be a 1-hr job for two bikes ended up being 3 hrs (and I still probably need to take my son's bike to a bike shop to have them fine-tune the brakes).

    Now for the sad part. By the time I was done with my early assembly of the play kitchen on Thursday night, it was after 2 am. The thing was heavy and awkward, so I asked Mrs. D to help me move it to the next-door neighbor's garage (where we were storing the Santa stuff). She suggested we put it at the back of our storage closet under the stairs and throw a blanket over it. I worried that someone might see it, so I suggested we at least move it to our closet, where we could keep our bedroom door locked. But I was tired so, when Mrs. D said she thought it would be fine in the storage closet, I acquiesced. After all, our kids rarely go into this closet (I added the closet when we moved in by cutting in and framing a door under the stairs, so it's not dry walled and there's only a pull-chain light--old school!). I worked half-day Friday, and then we hit the road to go spend a couple of nights in St. Double G with my parents before Christmas.

    Well, apparently while helping Mrs. D get packed for our trip on Friday, our oldest daughter, H, went into the closet looking for some sleeping bags. Later that morning, she casually asked Mrs. D "Mom, what did M ask for from Santa?" Mrs. D wasn't really connecting the dots at that point, and said "a kitchen". Later, H cornered Mrs. D and asked if Santa is real. It was right in front of our 6 year old, so Mrs. D quickly reassured her that Santa is real, but suggested they talk about it more at another time. But by then, Mrs. D realized that H had likely gone looking for sleeping bags and stumbled into the play kitchen. While in St. G, H waited for the right moment and then said "Mom, can we have that talk now?" So 36 hours before Christmas, my daughter learned that Santa isn't real. She was noticeably bummed, but took it well, all in all. According to Mrs. D, H's first statement after learning the truth was "wow, I feel bad for asking for such big stuff. I thought I was doing you and dad a favor by making sure to ask for the big stuff from Santa."

    Which brings me to the silver lining. H was not a young child with many Santa years ahead of her. Rather, she turned 12 a couple months ago. She got to believe for longer than most. It has actually blown my mind and simultaneously concerned me that she has never shown any doubt at all about the reality of Santa. I wanted to tell her after last Christmas, so she didn't go into middle school as the only kid who believes in Santa. But this idea was soundly rejected by Mrs. D, who has threatened me with death, or worse, if I take it upon myself to tell any of our kids about Santa before they ask. When Mrs. D asked me what I wanted for Christmas a few weeks back, I jokingly said "All I want for Christmas is for H to learn that Santa isn't real. I hesitated a beat and then added "before next Christmas." It became a sort of running gag between us over the last few weeks. Still, after another full year of believing, I didn't want H to find out just a day before Christmas. So while I am glad that my pre-teen knows about Santa, I am saddened that it happened when it happened. Another week wouldn't have hurt, and would have afforded her one more magical Christmas morning.

    I'd be lying if I didn't admit that a small part of me laughed at the fact that it was Mrs. D's own decision that caused H to find out. But while a younger, less wise DH would have seized the opportunity to point this out, my 16+ years of marital wisdom helped me realize that Mrs. D was already beating herself up for this. So I chose, instead, to console her by pointing out that 1) we now have someone to help us with that Elf on the Shelf emm-effer, and 2) we are fortunate that it was H and not one of the other kids who saw the play kitchen.

    Last night, after the presents had all been opened and we were settling down to watch a movie, I was out in the kitchen alone, making myself a snack. H came up to me and gave me a hug and said "Thanks for the bike, dad. And for all the stuff Santa brought me for other Christmases." Needless to say, it was a bittersweet Christmas for the DH household, and I learned the hard way that sometimes getting what you want for Christmas isn't always as good as it sounds.

    /catharsis
    Good story, poignant but good.

    For those of us with grown children, these memories fade, unless penned. Merry Christmas and a Joyous New Year to the D family.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  30. #30
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,723

    Default

    My oldest told us that all she wanted for Christmas was a new phone. She got an iphone 6 with 16GB two years ago, and the battery is fried and she has no memory left.

    We got her an iPhone 8 Plus, with 256GB (she's pretty techy and likes to make videos for class projects, etc.). She got a case and screen protector and some other minor gifts, but that was it.

    Near the end, when her 2 year old sister had several cheap toys under the tree, and no one had any other presents, I could tell she was a little sad. I pulled her aside and asked if she was alright. She said, "Dad, I wasn't even excited to wake up this morning. I wanted to sleep more than I wanted to get up. I love the phone, but this year, Christmas changed. I'm a little bummed, but I know I shouldn't be. I got exactly what I asked for." I gave her a big hug and told her I understood.

    Why do they have to grow up??!!
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •