Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we all agree that Jeff Monken, HC at Army, is doing a fabulous job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we all agree that Jeff Monken, HC at Army, is doing a fabulous job?

Army this year is 8-2. They have beaten Duke, shut out Air Force decisively, won in exciting and miraculous manners over solid Eastern Michigan and over a decent Temple team. They probably deserved to lose against Temple but when your blood is coarsing with the spirit that fueled the "embattled farmers who once stood and fired the shots heard round the world" shit is going to go your way on occasion. It is like what we used to say: "magic happens." I call it Manifest Destiny, or something like that!

It is hard to recruit to a Service Academy, given the various restrictions and expectations. So from that small slice of athletes you have 3 academies from which to choose. In 4 years Monken has taken Army's talent level to equality, IMO, with both Air Force and Navy. This is always difficult given that it is much more sexy to fly planes than pound the ground looking for gawdless militant insurgents to kill - but to do so in the wake of a long, unpopular and contracted ground war that disproportionately impacts US Army personnel is nothing short of amazing.

With wins against UNT and Navy (two straight against Brother Niamotololo!) Army could win the CIC Trophy and perhaps enter the Armed Forces Bowl ranked in the top 25. All that and they have not tried a pass in two games and failed to complete one in 3 others.

The Army Team is the Pride and Dream of every heart in gray...ON BRAVE OLD ARMY TEAM!

Seriously, Monken should be in consideration for NCOTY.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    Army this year is 8-2. They have beaten Duke, shut out Air Force decisively, won in exciting and miraculous manners over solid Eastern Michigan and over a decent Temple team. They probably deserved to lose against Temple but when your blood is coarsing with the spirit that fueled the "embattled farmers who once stood and fired the shots heard round the world" shit is going to go your way on occasion. It is like what we used to say: "magic happens." I call it Manifest Destiny, or something like that!

It is hard to recruit to a Service Academy, given the various restrictions and expectations. So from that small slice of athletes you have 3 academies from which to choose. In 4 years Monken has taken Army's talent level to equality, IMO, with both Air Force and Navy. This is always difficult given that it is much more sexy to fly planes than pound the ground looking for gawdless militant insurgents to kill - but to do so in the wake of a long, unpopular and contracted ground war that disproportionately impacts US Army personnel is nothing short of amazing.

With wins against UNT and Navy (two straight against Brother Niamotololo!) Army could win the CIC Trophy and perhaps enter the Armed Forces Bowl ranked in the top 25. All that and they have not tried a pass in two games and failed to complete one in 3 others.

The Army Team is the Pride and Dream of every heart in gray...ON BRAVE OLD ARMY TEAM!

How does he feel about converting to the fullness of the everlasting gospel? BYU may need someone in a year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
      How does he feel about converting to the fullness of the everlasting gospel? BYU may need someone in a year or two.
      He is a southern boy so not real likely. I do wonder if some other bigger programs will come knocking. West Point alums are not a real large group but probably do better on average, so I would imagine Army can find the $ to pay Monken handsomely, but the reality is if you want all the glory you are not going to get it at a Service Academy. This year is almost as good as it gets. However, Monken has followed Paul Johnson quite a bit as well as Niamotololo, there are limited big time schools who I think are willing to entertain that style of play. My hopes and dreams are that between being able to pay him well, his love of the uniqueness of coaching at a place like West Point and the fact that no big boys want the option he stays for a long time. He has built Army block by block. When he took over it wasn't a total wasteland like it was when Bobby Ross took the helm after the winless year of 2003 - but to take Army to back to back bowls when my alma mater has had 3 winning seasons and two bowl appearances in the 23 years prior to him becoming the HC is nothing short of amazing. This year has been a great year but the consistent improvement to get here has been impressive to watch.

GO ARMY BEAT NORTH TEXAS!

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

GN,

Have you seen the twitter video of him after the win this weekend? On Veteran's Day it was extremely touching. I'm sure someone can find it, but I can't ever get links to work right on here. It is only about a minute long. It was awesome.

Comment

Interesting that all the service academies have found their success on the ground. Maybe BYU should go even more old school and try the wishbone.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
            Interesting that all the service academies have found their success on the ground. Maybe BYU should go even more old school and try the wishbone.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
              GN,

Have you seen the twitter video of him after the win this weekend? On Veteran's Day it was extremely touching. I'm sure someone can find it, but I can't ever get links to work right on here. It is only about a minute long. It was awesome.
              Was it the one where he was screaming that I will fight some more? I think that was post Temple victory, but ya Monken is charismatic and really connects with his players, the Corps of Cadets and the greater West Point and Army communities. I hope to God we can keep him.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                I have wondered as well. I think BYU can get good fullbacks, and a number of decent athletic kids who could be good backs in the flexbone type of offense. KJ Hall and Trey Dye are the types of which I speak. Then the true real athletes BYU gets they can play in the defensive backfield. This approach limits the athletic ability you need to be effective. I think BYU could enjoy the same type of success as Paul Johnson does with Georgia Tech running that type of system. My instinct is there was resistance to such changes when Niamotololo was looking at BYU. But like you I wonder about a system focussed on execution and shortening the game due to lack of athletes while doing something that is unique.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I have wondered as well. I think BYU can get good fullbacks, and a number of decent athletic kids who could be good backs in the flexbone type of offense. KJ Hall and Trey Dye are the types of which I speak. Then the true real athletes BYU gets they can play in the defensive backfield. This approach limits the athletic ability you need to be effective. I think BYU could enjoy the same type of success as Paul Johnson does with Georgia Tech running that type of system. My instinct is there was resistance to such changes when Niamotololo was looking at BYU. But like you I wonder about a system focussed on execution and shortening the game due to lack of athletes while doing something that is unique.
                  Gtfo. Nobody is going to buy tickets to watch that.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Gtfo. Nobody is going to buy tickets to watch that.
                    If they win they would.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Yes. I can agree to that.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                        Yes. I can agree to that.
                        You are fine American.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Is there anything more appropriate in college football than Army winning ground battles?
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I hope Navy kicks the shit out of them.
                            *Banned*

Comment

If they win they would.
                              Exactly.
                              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Working...