2017-2018 NCAA Hoops Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
    I know pretty much firsthand. They are a horrible client. They are also consistently terrible to the audience whenever they hold any kind of sports broadcast rights (hello mtn). And as a regular consumer I would never in a million years buy any service from them ever.
    They are a horrible customer for my employer as well.

Unfortunately, they are the only game in my neighborhood when it comes to good internet. CenturyLink's 80 Mbps doesn't count as good internet.

Comment

Gonzaga is going to be an interesting case for the selection committee. The matrix, which is the most accurate predictor year after year has them as a 5, which is in line with their rpi. But I tend to think they'll get better than that given the news this year that for the first time the selection committee is going to consider other ranking systems such as kenpom and sagarin, and both of those have Gonzaga much higher.

And I also don't believe Lunardi about SMC not getting in. 114/133 brackets right now have SMC in the field, with the composite showing 8 teams in the field below them. I've followed this site for years. It's solid. A single bracket projection is rarely going to be as good as the consensus. There are maybe 1 or 2 surprise teams in or out each year, and that's it. The exact seedings are harder to predict, but still usually within 1-2 on about 80% of the teams. The wildcard this year, as I said is that the committee is looking at other rankings besides the rpi this year, but in both cases that favors the WCC teams.

www.bracketmatrix.com
      Last edited by BlueK; 03-07-2018, 10:17 AM.

Comment

I thought lunardi said SMC would be in. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gonzaga get a 3 seed.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

Anyone else listen to the Dan Patrick Show? He had Coach Calipari on today, and I was extremely impressed on what I heard.

At Kentucky if you receive a basketball scholarship and leave early for the NBA, as a student in good standing, Kentucky will honor your scholarship to allow you to come back and get your degree. He says that he hopes other schools will start doing the same.

That is pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
            Anyone else listen to the Dan Patrick Show? He had Coach Calipari on today, and I was extremely impressed on what I heard.

At Kentucky if you receive a basketball scholarship and leave early for the NBA, as a student in good standing, Kentucky will honor your scholarship to allow you to come back and get your degree. He says that he hopes other schools will start doing the same.

That is pretty cool.
            So Kentucky is going to pay a multimillionaire to come back and finish his degree?

Am I missing something?
            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
              So Kentucky is going to pay a multimillionaire to come back and finish his degree?

Am I missing something?
              Not everyone that leaves becomes a multimillionaire.

But I think big picture it is a good thing for universities.

Comment

Not everyone that leaves becomes a multimillionaire.

But I think big picture it is a good thing for universities.
                So the offer is primarily for those guys that guess wrong and don't make it. Which, I agree, is a cool thing to do for Kentucky.
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  I thought lunardi said SMC would be in. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gonzaga get a 3 seed.
                  I thought I heard him on TV last night say they were just out. But on ESPN.com as of right now he lists them in and in front of just two other teams.

Comment

That is pretty cool.
                    I had a friend who played football for a couple of years at K-State following Ricks. He said K-State had that policy but he felt like the coaches basically used it as an excuse to downplay education while they were there by saying they could always come back after football and finish the degree. So lots of players would do just the bare minimum to remain eligible with the NCAA. I'm not much of a fan of Coach Snyder.
                    Last edited by BlueK; 03-07-2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

I had a friend who played football for a couple of years at K-State following Ricks. He said K-State had that policy but he felt like they basically used it as an excuse to downplay education while they were there by saying they could always come back after football and finish the degree. So lots of players would do the bare minimum to remain eligible.
                      have to be a student in good standing so you can't just tank.
                      Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

I thought I heard him on TV last night say they were just out. But on ESPN.com as of right now he lists them in and in front of just two other teams.
                        last night he said he moved them from 8 to 10 but at 10 you are close to the bubble
                        Last edited by Flystripper; 03-07-2018, 10:31 AM.
                        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                          have to be a student in good standing so you can't just tank.
                          bare minimum at the time (early 90s) by NCAA rules was a 1.75 gpa and 12 hours per semester. That's tanking as far as a normal student is concerned and wouldn't get you a degree in 4 years. According to my friend, the culture around K-State football at the time basically discouraged players from doing much more than that because football was the reason they were there. Come back afterwards to finish school if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                            last night he said he moved then from 8 to 10 but at 10 you are close to the bubble
                            Yes, that's true. They may not make it if there are a lot of upsets in the major conferences.

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                              So the offer is primarily for those guys that guess wrong and don't make it. Which, I agree, is a cool thing to do for Kentucky.
                              You are a ray of sunshine.

Comment

You can’t change a tiger’s stripes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X