2017-2018 NCAA Hoops Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    I know this is my constant rant but I swear I will never understand benching players for foul trouble.

Tennessee has one of their best players Schofield get his 4th foul so they bench him — “Gotta sit him” the announcers agree. While he’s sitting Loyola’s win probability goes from 70% to 95%. Uhh... most games aren’t decided in the last few minutes.
    Have you read "Scorecasting"?

They make the same point and back it up with data. Really interesting book.

Comment

• https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports...mpression=true

Really liked items 27 and 28:

27. If your school is here despite not playing big-time football, add 10 points for resourcefulness.

Score: Loyola 200, Villanova 35, Michigan 20, Kansas minus-5.

28. If your school is cashing huge football revenue checks without adding a cent of gridiron value to its conference, deduct 10 points for stealing.

Score: Loyola 200, Villanova 35, Michigan 20, Kansas minus-15.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a ticket for the final tomorrow. I'm excited!

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
          Have you read "Scorecasting"?

They make the same point and back it up with data. Really interesting book.
          It's weird, I know the intellectual history of this (I think):

Dick Thaler used to rant about this back in the day (as least as early as 2001 in a Behavioral Finance course I took from him at UChicago) -> Toby (coauthor) was a young faculty member at Chicago back then -> eventually makes it into scorecasting.

Comment

Working...
          X