The surgence of American distance running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The surgence of American distance running

I meant to post something like this after Rupp won the Chicago marathon, but there's not better time than now after Flanagan's NY marathon victory. I'm not sure if American distance running has ever been as good now as in any recent past. It's fun to watch and follow. Just a couple examples:

Shalene Flanagan wins the NY marathon against a fairly stacked women's field. First American woman to win in over four decades. There's a video clip out there that I'll try to find where she yells out "F*** Yeah" as she nears the finish line. She deserves to say whatever she wants after her performance.

Galen Rupp wins the Chicago marathon against a not so stacked but still impressive field. First American in 15 years to win this event.

I've posted about this one before, but Emma Coburn wins the world championship steeplechase and Courtney Frerichs comes in second place. This race is one that I've watched several times and worth the 9 minutes as it's incredible.

Other notable performances include Matthew Centrowitz wins the 1500 at the 2016 Olympics (although some people call this race mid-distance), Rupp wins silver in tihe 10,000 meters at the 2012 Olympics, Ryan Hill, Jenny Simpson, etc.

It's fun to watch and I hope we continue to improve especially at a time when American sprinters are getting beat time and again.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Here's the Flanagan yell. So Awesome!!

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

we watched that live. she gave the second place runner a beat down.
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
        we watched that live. she gave the second place runner a beat down.
        I watched it in person! (for about 30 seconds when she passed our corner).

Comment

This is one I’m very excited to see

Jorgensen has ruled the triathlon sector for a while. I wonder how it will translate to the marathon.

Also, the Boston marathon field is shaping up to be crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well that was some horrible weather. I just watched in the driving rain for 15 minutes and it was no fun at all.

A bunch of nobodies won — a Japanese guy that runs a marathon every month and some girl from Ogden running her second marathon came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
              Well that was some horrible weather. I just watched in the driving rain for 15 minutes and it was no fun at all.

A bunch of nobodies won — a Japanese guy that runs a marathon every month and some girl from Ogden running her second marathon came in second.
              Won what?

Edit: never mind.

An American woman won. That's not nothing! And she beat some pretty good competition:

Among the women that Linden beat so handily were defending champ Edna Kiplagat, and Americans Shalane Flanagan and Molly Huddle. Flanagan won the New York City Marathon in November, and Huddle hadn’t lost to an American woman on the roads at any distance since 2012.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

boston
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston...mpression=true

Pretty cool story. Gets up at 4:00 am to train before working full time at the hospital.

Comment

My sister ran it in 3:45 but haven't checked to see what place she was in.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post

Des Linden is a nobody? You must not follow much distance running. Too bad Hasay didn’t run.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Des Linden is a nobody? You must not follow much distance running. Too bad Hasay didn’t run.
                        Correct I definitely don’t follow it but had at least heard of Huddle and Flanagan or figured a Kenyan would win.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

This is definitely one of the funniest posts I’ve seen on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                            https://www.boston.com/sports/boston...mpression=true

Pretty cool story. Gets up at 4:00 am to train before working full time at the hospital.
                            Another cool story.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/12/s...n-ironman.html

He ran a 2:49:42!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by Dwight Schr-ute; 04-16-2018, 07:01 PM.
                            I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Weber State!
                              Weber State!
                              Great! Great! Great!
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                              X