Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another mass shooting. This time in a church in small town Texas

About 45 minutes from me.

Some reports stating 24 dead. Not sure yet.

Uggh.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ooting-n817751

CNN reporting 27 dead and 24 injured right now.

Comment

Oh my god, when is this shit gonna end? How awful.

Comment

Apparently the church's pastor and wife were out of town and their 14 year old daughter was there and one of the dead.

This is terrible. Multiple children dead.

Comment

27 dead in a community of less than 500 people. So tragic.

Comment

it’s ok though, this is a small price to pay for the right of impotent nerds to fantasize about using guns to stop the gubmint from taking them away
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
              it’s ok though, this is a small price to pay for the right of impotent nerds to fantasize about using guns to stop the gubmint from taking them away
              You are weird.

Comment

An interview with one of the guys that apparently shot the killer and then followed him until he ran off the road and died:

TEXAS CHURCH SHOOTING
                CITIZEN SHOT BACK, FOLLOWED SHOOTER
                Victims from Age 5 to 72

Texas officials just held a press conference about the deadliest mass shooting in the state, and revealed that a local resident fired back at the shooter who killed 26 people at a small town church ... and then gave chase before the gunman was found dead.

A rep for the Texas Department of Public Safety gave a blow-by-blow account of what went down Sunday morning in Sutherland Springs, TX where a gunman opened fire at the First Baptist Church.
                He says the gunman, reportedly ID'd as Devin Kelley, was dressed in all black tactical gear when he opened fire on the church -- using an AR assault-style rifle -- from the outside and then continued inside. When he walked out again, a local resident engaged him with his own rifle, causing the gunman to flee.

The resident followed the gunman in a separate vehicle, and the gunman was later found shot dead around a nearby county line ... where cops say they found more firearms in his car. It's unclear if the gunman suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound, or if the resident shot and killed him.

[...]
                http://www.tmz.com/2017/11/05/texas-...lowed-shooter/
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                  An interview with one of the guys that apparently shot the killer and then followed him until he ran off the road and died:

http://www.tmz.com/2017/11/05/texas-...lowed-shooter/
                  Mass shooting fatigue.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    Mass shooting fatigue.
                    Same.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Apparently iPhones are pulling triggers these days...

Trump DOJ suggests iPhone encryption costs lives following Texas shooting

The debate over privacy and security between tech companies and the government is playing out in public yet again. Without naming Apple specifically, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein suggested this week in comments reported by The Washington Examiner that the company’s position on strong encryption may cost lives. Rosenstein’s comments follow reports that the recent church shooter in Texas used an iPhone that may not be accessible by the government.

The second-highest ranking official at the Department of Justice argues that ‘no reasonable person’ believes authorities shouldn’t be able to access the shooter’s phone:

“When you shoot dozens of innocent American citizens, we want law enforcement to investigate your communications and stored data,” Rosenstein said Thursday, adding, “‘There are things that we need to know.”

“As a matter of fact, no reasonable person questions our right to access the phone. But the company that built it claims that it purposely designed the operating system so that the company cannot open the phone even with an order from a federal judge,” Rosenstein said, lamenting only maybe “eventually” will federal investigators be able to access Kelley’s phone.

In addition to costing “a great deal of time and money,” Rosenstein said a delay “surely costs lives.”
                      The issue is more complex than simply allowing authorities access to one bad guy’s iPhone. Apple cannot build back doors in its software for government and ensure every other customer’s data is kept private, the company argues.

The debate certainly didn’t start under the Trump administration. Apple publicly defended its position while acknowledging the complexity of the issue last year when the FBI requested access to the San Bernardino shooter’s iPhone during the Obama administration.

While that case was never fully tested by the legal system, it’s possible we may see a similar episode in the future. In the case of the Texas shooter, it was reported that the FBI may have missed its window to easily access the shooter’s iPhone. Apple responded to the report by saying that it proactively contacted the FBI to help offer any assistance possible.
                      https://9to5mac.com/2017/11/10/iphon...od-rosenstein/

The government is such a.... And they don't understand that the bad guys also like to use backdoors as well.

BTW, the FBI could have unlocked the phone within 48 hours by using the dead guy's fingerprints.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Another mass shooting. This time in a church in small town Texas

Apple siding with terrorists. Figures.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

And now another shooting in a California Elementary school. This country has gone crazy.
                          sigpic
                          "Outlined against a blue, gray
                          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                            And now another shooting in a California Elementary school. This country has gone crazy.
                            Half hour drive from me. It doesn't sound like it is a school shooting, exactly. A shooting that began at someone's nearby home that spilled over to involve at least a few kids at the school. Details are really sketchy so far. All I've read is that the shooter, who is now dead, was a felon, that has been tormenting the neighbors for quite some time. So far they've dispatched 3 helicopters and multiple ambulances to the scene.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                              Half hour drive from me. It doesn't sound like it is a school shooting, exactly. A shooting that began at someone's nearby home that spilled over to involve at least a few kids at the school. Details are really sketchy so far. All I've read is that the shooter, who is now dead, was a felon, that has been tormenting the neighbors for quite some time. So far they've dispatched 3 helicopters and multiple ambulances to the scene.
                              If what the neighbor says about the shooter's recent behavior is true and was reported to police, I can't understand why action wasn't taken to disarm him. I'm no where near the Byron Marchant camp of "taking away all the guns", but I have no problem taking away the guns of someone who is displaying mental illness or is threatening others. If there are real barriers to that kind of action, then that is the gun control we should start with.

Comment

Working...
                              X