Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ugh. BYU @ Fresno State

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    People on CB are saying Achilles....

Good grief, what an awful year.
    It kinda looked like something just popped ... hope it isn't his Achilles. Make's me feel sick to my stomach.

Princeps Inter Pares

Lucky flag. No way was Jonah going to get that.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Lucky flag. No way was Jonah going to get that.
    He didn't seem too concerned about getting it, either, TBH.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

What in hades was that play call?

Awful play call. You have to be able to run the ball for a yard.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Princeps Inter Pares

Why did he take that punt? Good heavens we are stoopid.

This team just finds new ways to lose. Amazing.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    Some combination of soft and cursed, also.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Eerily reminiscent of the Crowton teams.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Princeps Inter Pares

There it is. An incredible convergence of bad luck, bad coaching, and bad play the likes of which we have never seen in our lives.

Unbelievable.

Fitting end. Fumble on a nice play and a hurt player to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Eerily reminiscent of the Crowton teams.
    Exactly.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Bad teams find ways to lose.

Cmon bulldogs, kick a FG. Give me the 10 margin of victory!

#predictioncontest

Princeps Inter Pares

Wow, wow, wow.

Dammit we lost bowl eligibility!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that loss was straight up coaching.

So many stupid mistakes and bad calls. Oh well.

When BYU was bad in the Crowton era I cared a lot. I’ll sleep just fine tonight.

I realize BYU has a talent issue, but in my mind this season is 90% on coaching.

The offensive play calling sucks and Ty shows no ability to adjust. The defensive players look lost and are getting beat consistently. There is more testicular fortitude at a intersectional feminist rally than with this team. They are soft and getting pushed around on the field. Close to 40 injuries this year. Crappy coaching goes all the way down to the conditioning staff. Is there a coaching bright spot in this staff at all?

Quote Originally Posted by USUC View Post
    I realize BYU has a talent issue, but in my mind this season is 90% on coaching.

The offensive play calling sucks and Ty shows no ability to adjust. The defensive players look lost and are getting beat consistently. There is more testicular fortitude at a intersectional feminist rally than with this team. They are soft and getting pushed around on the field. Close to 40 injuries this year. Crappy coaching goes all the way down to the conditioning staff. Is there a coaching bright spot in this staff at all?
    Heath Shroyer...but that's hoops. Lol.

If we covered the spread, I call it a win now.

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by USUC View Post

How do you adjust with a revolving door at QB, no RBs and a crappy Oline? Oh, and those are the strong points. Our receivers wouldn't start on Bingham High or Bishop Gorm.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Princeps Inter Pares

Sad thing is our offense was showing signs of real improvement until Tanner got hurt. Steps forward, steps backward.

What really stands out are the failures to convert on 4th down. The second play call is hard to understand, but at the same time, we tried hammering them with a fullback the first time and THAT didn't work. We had a mobile quarterback on the run with open receivers down the field. Maybe that wasn't the best play to call, but it's too easy for us fans to bag on calls when the only difference we can see between brilliance and stupidity is whether it works.

Here's hoping we can get it together for next year.

I think it’s reasonable to say that type of 4th down call (roll-out, run pass option) is less likely to work than a handoff or qB sneak. Thought this was interesting. http://sports.sites.yale.edu/success...es-fourth-down

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    I think it’s reasonable to say that type of 4th down call (roll-out, run pass option) is less likely to work than a handoff or qB sneak. Thought this was interesting. http://sports.sites.yale.edu/success...es-fourth-down
    Basically what I would have expected. One thing the article doesn't account for, however, is the chance of gaining anything more than 2 yards. If they are stacking the line in hopes of stuffing you on 4th and 1, they're likely vacating some spaces and opening up some opportunities. The trade off between the more sure fire way of picking up the first and the chance to get further down the field may make it worth taking a chance.

This article seems to consider only the benefit of converting and does not consider the value of getting further downfield. That likely means it is overstating the benefit of running a QB sneak.

Princeps Inter Pares

Basically what I would have expected. One thing the article doesn't account for, however, is the chance of gaining anything more than 2 yards. If they are stacking the line in hopes of stuffing you on 4th and 1, they're likely vacating some spaces and opening up some opportunities. The trade off between the more sure fire way of picking up the first and the chance to get further down the field may make it worth taking a chance.

This article seems to consider only the benefit of converting and does not consider the value of getting further downfield. That likely means it is overstating the benefit of running a QB sneak.
    This also suggests, by the way, that the timeout FSU took just before the 4th down was awfully important. If stacking protection against a QB sneak opens up opportunities then realizing that we were going to run a conventional play allowed them to reset.