Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Why cut taxes?

It's all hilarious, but the lawsuit in the best part. When I heard Cuomo talking about that this morning I literally laughed out loud. Unconstitutional, you say? GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    It's all hilarious, but the lawsuit in the best part. When I heard Cuomo talking about that this morning I literally laughed out loud. Unconstitutional, you say? GTFO.
    They effin' sound like the hillbilly tea partiers. Bizzaro world.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    Thank you! Please share your opinion at:

Brian Moynihan
    Bank of America
    100 N Tryon St
    Charlotte, NC 28202
    BofA sucks. It sucks for employees and sucks for consumers. You need to go to a good bank, Dude.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

I didn't know that athletes, actors, writers, producers and directors were considered the middle class...
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    BofA sucks. It sucks for employees and sucks for consumers. You need to go to a good bank, Dude.
    If you identify a better position at a better bank, I will be happy to look into it!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    I didn't know that athletes, actors, writers, producers and directors were considered the middle class...
    Lol, that's great.

Where is OrangeUte when you need him to stand up for Babs [Streisand]?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Worked for Wesley Snipes.

GOP'ers buying votes...

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Apple is going to pay $38 billion in taxes... and will be hiring 20,000 new employees:

It looks like Apple is bringing back home nearly all of its $250 billion in foreign cash

Apple just announced on Wednesday it will bring back hundreds of billions of dollars from overseas to fund investment in the U.S.

"Apple, already the largest US taxpayer, anticipates repatriation tax payments of approximately $38 billion as required by recent changes to the tax law. A payment of that size would likely be the largest of its kind ever made," the company said in the release.

Using the new 15.5 percent repatriation tax rate, the $38 billion tax payment disclosed by Apple means they are planning a $245 billion repatriation.
    [...]
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/17/it-l...eign-cash.html
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Apple is going to pay $38 billion in taxes... and will be hiring 20,000 new employees:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/17/it-l...eign-cash.html
    Territorial tax system FTW!!!
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

The new 1040 is democrat friendly...

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

The new 1040 is democrat friendly...

good meme
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

I wonder if that tax cut is going to have an impact on the upcoming election and Drumpf's economy approval rating....

-k9rTAdswimRExKmUtaH3FaPKeSdtPSe1PBEi62Azn8.jpg

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...nomy-6182.html
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

But deficit hawks seem to have become an endangered species in Washington, apparently outnumbered by the deficit shruggers, who’ve grown inured to the prophecies of impending budget doom.
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...d-combination/

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

You going to rethink your Trump support now, Uncle Ted?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

UT, what's gotten in to you? You're supposed to post something like this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...line/79835274/

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    UT, what's gotten in to you? You're supposed to post something like this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...line/79835274/
    He was a little quick on the draw there. Had others here complained first about Trump's idea then that's when the whataboutobama reaction kicks in.

I'm all in favor of this. I say phase it in over four years. 10˘ the first year, then 5˘ each year after that.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

It's Official: Trump Tax Cuts Are Boosting Growth And Mostly Paying For Themselves

Taxes: When the Congressional Budget Office released its updated budget forecast, everyone focused on the deficit number. But buried in the report was the CBO's tacit admission that it vastly overestimated the cost of the Trump tax cuts, because it didn't account for the strong economic growth they would generate.

Among the many details in the report, the one reporters focused on was the CBO's forecast that the federal deficit would top $1 trillion in 2020, two years earlier than the CBO had previously said.

And, naturally, most news accounts blamed the tax cuts. "U.S. budget deficit to balloon on Republican tax cuts" is how Reuters put it in a headline.

But there's more to the story that the media overlooked.

First, the CBO revised its economic forecast sharply upward this year and next.

Last June, the CBO said GDP growth for 2018 would be just 2%. Now it figures growth will be 3.3% — a significant upward revision. It also boosted its forecast for 2019 from a meager 1.5% to a respectable 2.4%.

"Underlying economic conditions have improved in some unexpected ways since June," the CBO says. Unexpected to the CBO, perhaps, but not to those of us who understood that Trump's tax cuts and deregulatory efforts would boosts growth.

In any case, the CBO now expects GDP to be $6.1 trillion bigger by 2027 than it did before the tax cuts.
    [...]
    https://www.investors.com/politics/e...or-themselves/

Now if we can cut spending by not getting into yet another dumbass war.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Why are we even taxing people at all, right Ted?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Why are we even taxing people at all, right Ted?
    Don't get me started, man.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

So, basically, even with the economy performing better than previously expected, we'll still see trillion-dollar deficits again soon. Great news, Ted.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    So, basically, even with the economy performing better than previously expected, we'll still see trillion-dollar deficits again soon. Great news, Ted.
    You give the CBO too much credit in their dumbass forecasts... Of course, increasing spending so we can kill Syria's kids for them doesn't help.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

You give the CBO too much credit in their dumbass forecasts... Of course, increasing spending so we can kill Syria's kids for them doesn't help.
    We didn't kill any Syrian kids. Knock it off.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    We didn't kill any Syrian kids. Knock it off.
    Yeah we did, man. Ask Walter... He will tell you and show you the pictures.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Yeah we did, man. Ask Walter... He will tell you and show you the pictures.
    That article is from last year man. You're telling me this attack killed kids?
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    It's $1.4-$1.7 trillion...over ten years...if nothing changes. In other words, if people invest as normal and the tax rates create no GDP growth, the deficit will increase by around $150 billion. And then they multiply that by the magic number 10 because they need to multiply it by something. That way, tax increases sound better and tax cuts sound worse.

Over a 2-year period, the CBO does a decent job with projections, but beyond that, a monkey throwing a dart could guess the true effect of things better. This is partly because long-term projections are nearly impossible, and partly because a lot of legislation is written to game the 10-year time window.

As I've said before, there is very little correlation between tax rates and tax receipts. Taken to extremes, there obviously would be, but this change isn't extreme. The likely long-term effect is going to depend on how the rate change effects growth because receipts will continue to be a function GDP growth.

Just a reminder that I didn't believe the CBO from the start.

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    The growth will cover part, but not all of the tax cuts. Duh.

Unless we do something to cut spending, all this means is even more deficit spending.

Unfortunately, spending is on track to climb even faster — going from 20.6% of GDP this year to 23.6% by 2028. (The highest spending ever got under Obama was 24.4% of GDP, and the post-War average is 19.3%.)

This is little short of a disgrace, and shows that Republicans love spending taxpayer money as much as Democrats.

In fact, some GOP senators don't even want Trump to use his rescission authority to strip some of the worst spending items out of the bipartisan $1.3 trillion spending monstrosity.

Someone needs to remind these alleged fiscal conservatives that if they can't get control of spending today, it's a virtual guarantee they'll end up agreeing to a "deficit cutting" tax hike tomorrow.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster