Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Ty

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Exactly.

Our offense is a disaster right now. Not just talent but horrible execution and play calling.
    There's certainly an argument for you and AA's line of thin king but there's an argument that lays the blame on Kalani too. This is a very undisciplined team and that is something that Kalani has allowed to happen. If Kalani is going to right this ship he needs to tack the other direction a bit.

Princeps Inter Pares

Exactly.

Our offense is a disaster right now. Not just talent but horrible execution and play calling.
    It's actually a sincere question.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Are there any coaches that left Granite HS for USU that we could hire?
    Ha. WOW! POTD!!!! For those of you who donít know heís talking about legendary coach Lavell Edwards.

Yeah, maybe BYU can hire another former BYU QB for OC that has more coaching experience...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Yeah, maybe BYU can hire another former BYU QB for OC that has more coaching experience...

There was a part of me that fantasized in 2015 that we could talk Detmer into being QB coach and OC-apprentice and get Steve Sarkesian to head up the O for a temporary, we-all-know-you're-just-here-to-dry-out period of two years before heading back out to coach for realsies again. I'm sure there's no way that was ever going to happen, but I hope someone at least made a phone call just in case.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    There was a part of me that fantasized in 2015 that we could talk Detmer into being QB coach and OC-apprentice and get Steve Sarkesian to head up the O for a temporary, we-all-know-you're-just-here-to-dry-out period of two years before heading back out to coach for realsies again. I'm sure there's no way that was ever going to happen, but I hope someone at least made a phone call just in case.
    The Lord works in mysterious ways... Please let this happen.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    The Lord works in mysterious ways... Please let this happen.
    I don't think there is any chance the school will hire a guy who is none for being a drunk at USC AND a BYU grad. I just dont see it .
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    I don't think there is any chance the school will hire a guy who is none for being a drunk at USC AND a BYU grad. I just dont see it .
    Even if he will work cheap?
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Fuck you guys. Disloyal pricks.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    After the last couple of games and tonight’s blowout, he may be available!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    There's certainly an argument for you and AA's line of thin king but there's an argument that lays the blame on Kalani too. This is a very undisciplined team and that is something that Kalani has allowed to happen. If Kalani is going to right this ship he needs to tack the other direction a bit.
    There is plenty of blame to go around! A disaster of this magnitude takes a team effort.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

No it's not. Independence is a factor in our recruiting and scheduling woes.
    I keep hearing this about recruiting.

Can you tell me which recruits BYU missed on because they weren't in the MWC?

That seems weird to me. I don't get it.

The scheduling part, I can understand. Not the recruiting.

There is plenty of blame to go around! A disaster of this magnitude takes a team effort.
    I struggle to get my mind around how bad BYU became in such a short period. I have been outspoken about my opinions about both the internal challenges at the administration level and the external challenges resulting from the changing landscape. I think BYU admin can do more to make winning football a priority. However, even if they do there are limits to what I think BYU can reasonably accomplish given the external challenges.

Saying all that I struggle believing this current staff will make BYU the best it can be no matter what support the admin gives them and what the external situation is. There is a lot wrong with BYU right now that even with the injuries, non-inclusion in the BCS world etc that is to be blamed on the coaching staff. I agree with much of the recommendations I read about conference, read scheduling consistent with what BYU can reasonably be expected to compete, paying coaches more, offering salvation to Sark and whatever else is often mentioned. However, it is hard for me to believe this current coaching staff is even close to being average. I don't pretend to know why it is the way it is, but in my very simple book coaches are evaluated based upon wins and losses - specifically against competition that I believe has similar resources. The two losses to Utah State and ECU are so amazingly bad IMO that while I believe it makes sense to keep Sitake around for a 3rd year, just to make sure there is fair evidence, I have no hope he will still be the HC at BYU in 2019.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post

I think the drop in recruiting has been a slow drip for a long time. There are many factors going into it that range from BYU not growing with the LDS Church since the early 80's to Utah becoming equal with BYU, about the time Crowton left, and then moving ahead of BYU when they went to the Pac-12. BYU is not what it once was to much of Mormonia, especially within the state of Utah and it is creeping in that direction without the State. I think there was hope that Kalani could help with reversing that given his Poly ethnicity and ties to that community. Perhaps I am a homer, but I think there was great evidence that that decision was bearing the hoped for fruit in the first 20 or so months after he was hired. However, there is evidence that things went south since then.

Despite the recruiting challenges, I think that recruiting is the least of the long term worries. Not that I think BYU will ever recruit again like it did in the early 80's but I think there are plenty of talented kids who will come if they believe the football experience will be worth it. I don't think BYU could recruit like Utah will over the next 10 years but I believe they could recruit like Boise State.

But the kids have got to be convinced good football is a priority at BYU. Right now my guess is many of the recruits might not believe that.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Look, I don't have my pulse on the high school recruiting game like I used to. However, I still hear stuff. I'll tell you right now that for a lot of those kids playing for an independent BYU doesn't thrill a lot of potential recruits. Kids want the ability to play for something other than just exposure. Couple this with Utah's success as a P5 and USU's resurgence and you have a real problem.

Look, I don't have my pulse on the high school recruiting game like I used to. However, I still hear stuff. I'll tell you right now that for a lot of those kids playing for an independent BYU doesn't thrill a lot of potential recruits. Kids want the ability to play for something other than just exposure. Couple this with Utah's success as a P5 and USU's resurgence and you have a real problem.
    Hey - I get that recruitment has been declining. I tend to agree with 'Napper's assessment.

And I get that Utah (and any P5, really) has some appeal. I also get that if USU is playing better than BYU there will be kids - especially local Utah kids - who want to go there.

I'm just saying that, all things being equal, I don't understand the draw of the MWC.

If BYU joins the MWC, that won't narrow the gap with Utah. Kids who are interested in a P5 conference aren't going to decide to go to BYU because they are in the MWC. I can't think of any way that joining the MWC helps BYU in recruiting against Utah and the PAC12. It just doesn't.

In the past - when BYU was in the MWC - all I heard over and over again is that when the coaches were recruiting, they weren't selling the MWC games to recruits. They were talking about the OOC games. They were talking about games against P5 schools - and with the good recruits from out of state they were hopefully talking about games near the recruits home.

You can't tell me that it's easier to sell a recruit on annual games with Wyoming, UNM, CSU, SDSU, Fresno St., USU, etc than to talk about an exciting schedule that includes: Arizona, Cal, Washington, Wisconsin, Tennessee, USC, Michigan St., ASU, Minnesota, Missouri, etc. (and all on the schedule over the next 3 years)

I suppose about the ONLY thing I can think of where being in the MWC might help is if you're able to tell kids that you've won the conference championship 8 of the last 10 years or something. I suppose that might be nice. But I don't think it outweighs a schedule of playing some pretty cool teams in pretty cool places. I just don't. It doesn't make sense to me.

But I'm not those kids, and admit I don't know how they think. Which is why I simply asked the question - which recruits has BYU lost but would have signed if they had been in the MWC (with all other variables remaining the same.)

Hey - I get that recruitment has been declining. I tend to agree with 'Napper's assessment.

And I get that Utah (and any P5, really) has some appeal. I also get that if USU is playing better than BYU there will be kids - especially local Utah kids - who want to go there.

I'm just saying that, all things being equal, I don't understand the draw of the MWC.

If BYU joins the MWC, that won't narrow the gap with Utah. Kids who are interested in a P5 conference aren't going to decide to go to BYU because they are in the MWC. I can't think of any way that joining the MWC helps BYU in recruiting against Utah and the PAC12. It just doesn't.

In the past - when BYU was in the MWC - all I heard over and over again is that when the coaches were recruiting, they weren't selling the MWC games to recruits. They were talking about the OOC games. They were talking about games against P5 schools - and with the good recruits from out of state they were hopefully talking about games near the recruits home.

You can't tell me that it's easier to sell a recruit on annual games with Wyoming, UNM, CSU, SDSU, Fresno St., USU, etc than to talk about an exciting schedule that includes: Arizona, Cal, Washington, Wisconsin, Tennessee, USC, Michigan St., ASU, Minnesota, Missouri, etc. (and all on the schedule over the next 3 years)

I suppose about the ONLY thing I can think of where being in the MWC might help is if you're able to tell kids that you've won the conference championship 8 of the last 10 years or something. I suppose that might be nice. But I don't think it outweighs a schedule of playing some pretty cool teams in pretty cool places. I just don't. It doesn't make sense to me.

But I'm not those kids, and admit I don't know how they think. Which is why I simply asked the question - which recruits has BYU lost but would have signed if they had been in the MWC (with all other variables remaining the same.)
    I don't think the conference affiliation will be the draw, but I think that conference affiliation will put BYU back into a situation where they will have a more balanced schedule. With a conference taking up 8 weeks of the year BYU will only have time to play 2-3 BCS level programs. If one or two of those have a down year in a year where BYU has a good team for them then BYU might be back in the top 25 with 10 wins and a win or two over a BCS program. Being able to do that once every five years will help recruiting. Those believing a return to a conference are not doing so for the belief that kids are dying to wear a jersey with AAC or MWC on the right clavicle as much as that is where BYU belongs and the current arrangement has BYU playing 4-5 games every year against teams that should beat BYU 80% of the time and with no way of evaluating ourselves against those other programs with similar resources. It will help the program win more frequently and provide more stability. I am in favor of it.

-DOCTOR Wuap

I agree the problems with recruiting are multi-faceted. Independence is but one of the challenges. However, it's a significant challenge.

You can sell recruits on a conference schedule supplemented by some decent P5 teams in the mix. This was our bread and butter for years. Playing an outlandish preseason schedule followed by a bunch of duds without a conference title on the line isn't great recipe for recruiting.

I agree the problems with recruiting are multi-faceted. Independence is but one of the challenges. However, it's a significant challenge.

You can sell recruits on a conference schedule supplemented by some decent P5 teams in the mix. This was our bread and butter for years. Playing an outlandish preseason schedule followed by a bunch of duds without a conference title on the line isn't great recipe for recruiting.
    I agree that the more difficult early schedule has hurt BYU. They want to mimic a P5 schedule (in some ways) but don't have the recruits and depth to do it. From that respect - going back to the MWC does provide a more balanced schedule as far as increasing the chances of higher win totals.

But if BYU was still winning 10 games a season, I don't know how big of a deal that would be.

I agree that the more difficult early schedule has hurt BYU. They want to mimic a P5 schedule (in some ways) but don't have the recruits and depth to do it. From that respect - going back to the MWC does provide a more balanced schedule as far as increasing the chances of higher win totals.

But if BYU was still winning 10 games a season, I don't know how big of a deal that would be.
    If you win ten or eleven and get a NY6 bowl game then you might have something.

I have a hard time even verbalizing the phrase fire Ty, just because he's a BYU hero and super nice guy. But I have essentially zero confidence he is now or ever will be an above average offensive coordinator. This is a critical time period for BYU sports and it's critical we have the very best coaching possible, so I'm fine with firing Ty.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    I don't think the conference affiliation will be the draw, but I think that conference affiliation will put BYU back into a situation where they will have a more balanced schedule. With a conference taking up 8 weeks of the year BYU will only have time to play 2-3 BCS level programs. If one or two of those have a down year in a year where BYU has a good team for them then BYU might be back in the top 25 with 10 wins and a win or two over a BCS program. Being able to do that once every five years will help recruiting. Those believing a return to a conference are not doing so for the belief that kids are dying to wear a jersey with AAC or MWC on the right clavicle as much as that is where BYU belongs and the current arrangement has BYU playing 4-5 games every year against teams that should beat BYU 80% of the time and with no way of evaluating ourselves against those other programs with similar resources. It will help the program win more frequently and provide more stability. I am in favor of it.
    ???

BYU doesn't have to schedule 5-6 BCS level programs a year regardless of whether they are in or out of a conference. BYU could only play 2-3 BCS level programs right now as an independent if they wanted to. Although joining a conference will certainly water down the schedule, joining a conference is not required in order to water down the schedule.

Joining the MWC or the AAC is NOT the solution to BYU's current football woes. Usually you are a smart guy but in this respect you are acting like a string pulling pansy.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    ???

BYU doesn't have to schedule 5-6 BCS level programs a year regardless of whether they are in or out of a conference. BYU could only play 2-3 BCS level programs right now as an independent if they wanted to. Although joining a conference will certainly water down the schedule, joining a conference is not required in order to water down the schedule.

Joining the MWC or the AAC is NOT the solution to BYU's current football woes. Usually you are a smart guy but in this respect you are acting like a string pulling pansy.
    Joining a conference is a way of retreating without admitting they are retreating - "it isn't our fault we thought it better to have a chance to compete for conference championships and a casualty of that was the chance to play 4-5 BCS programs every year." But in essence you are correct.

-DOCTOR Wuap

You can sell recruits on an independent schedule of the types of teams you would be playing in a conference, supplemented by some decent P5 teams in the mix. Independence is not forcing BYU to play an an outlandish preseason schedule.

BYU had 10, 8, 8, 8, 9, and 9 win seasons as an independent and was essentially on the top list of next teams to join a P5 conference in expansion. Now they have a hugely crappy year and somehow independence is undesirable and joining the MWC or AAC will solve BYU's woes?

People simply aren't being rational here. The single biggest variable so far in BYU's stunningly horrible season is coaching. Does anyone honestly think Bronco/Anae would have been 1-7 at this point in the season?

Being in the MWC raises the floor without sacrificing the ceiling. It will work itself out when we go to renew our contract with ESPN and we don't get anywhere near enough to make the negatives of Indy worth it. Our downward trajectory coupled with the bubble having popped with respect to network money being thrown around will drive push us back to a conference.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

You can sell recruits on an independent schedule of the types of teams you would be playing in a conference, supplemented by some decent P5 teams in the mix. Independence is not forcing BYU to play an an outlandish preseason schedule.

BYU had 10, 8, 8, 8, 9, and 9 win seasons as an independent and was essentially on the top list of next teams to join a P5 conference in expansion. Now they have a hugely crappy year and somehow independence is undesirable and joining the MWC or AAC will solve BYU's woes?

People simply aren't being rational here. The single biggest variable so far in BYU's stunningly horrible season is coaching. Does anyone honestly think Bronco/Anae would have been 1-7 at this point in the season?
    Preach it, brother!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

If you win ten or eleven and get a NY6 bowl game then you might have something.
    As an Independent BYU has no NY6 bowl opportunities. You only get that from being in a conference. Maybe that is what you were saying and I misunderstood.

that is a very good point. It does not solve the problem that there are not many (any) great choices for BYU football coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    that is a very good point. It does not solve the problem that there are not many (any) great choices for BYU football coaches.
    Is Anae the most likely next HC?

-DOCTOR Wuap

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    Is Anae the most likely next HC?
    Maybe. He should have been the choice from the beginning. We would have kept the offensive continuity. Man, what I wouldn't give to have Anae in charge of the offense.