Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Fire Ty

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle View Post
    I thought he would replace Grimes as OC next year working under Andy Reid (who will replace Sitake next year should 2018 be similar to 2017).
    BYU doesn't hire somebody who has already worked in the position, don't you know?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

(bump)

Swish!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    (bump)

Swish!
    It’s one game, where Arizona has basically no film to work from with Grimes as an OC. The good is we put up 21 points in a quarter against a P5 team on the road... something that we haven’t done since we did it to Michigan state in 2016 during Detmer’s first year.

The bigger surprise for me was the defense. Holding Tate to right around 200 total yards is incredible.

With that - I’m definitely encouraged. JSut not ready to go all SU-wish yet.

Itís one game, where Arizona has basically no film to work from with Grimes as an OC. The good is we put up 21 points in a quarter against a P5 team on the road... something that we havenít done since we did it to Michigan state in 2016 during Detmerís first year.

The bigger surprise for me was the defense. Holding Tate to right around 200 total yards is incredible.

With that - Iím definitely encouraged. JSut not ready to go all SU-wish yet.
    Aided in part by Arizona choosing to have him throw (incomplete passes) downfield instead of putting pressure on the defense with his legs.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Aided in part by Arizona choosing to have him throw (incomplete passes) downfield instead of putting pressure on the defense with his legs.
    Sure. But when he did use his legs, he wasn’t particularly effective either. 8 rushes for 14 yards? I’ll take that every time against a player the announcers made sound like Michael Vick meets Vince Young meets Tim Tebow.

Sure. But when he did use his legs, he wasnít particularly effective either. 8 rushes for 14 yards? Iíll take that every time against a player the announcers made sound like Michael Vick meets Vince Young meets Tim Tebow.
    I was pleased with how the defense handled him as well as with the Zona coaching staff's decisions on how to utilize him.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Sure. But when he did use his legs, he wasn’t particularly effective either. 8 rushes for 14 yards? I’ll take that every time against a player the announcers made sound like Michael Vick meets Vince Young meets Tim Tebow.
    Gilmore practically fellated Tate on TV. Got old real fast.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    although my butt def puckered every time they threw at wilcox
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    (bump)

Swish!
    OK, I'll finally give you the swish. I wasn't sure after Cal, but I think Grimes is the man. Breaks my heart that Ty couldn't get it done here. And you have to live with yourself for starting this thread, naming it as you did.

That said, if Grimes is as good as I think he is, how long can we keep him?

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    OK, I'll finally give you the swish. I wasn't sure after Cal, but I think Grimes is the man. Breaks my heart that Ty couldn't get it done here. And you have to live with yourself for starting this thread, naming it as you did.

3 years.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

they scored 28 on an Arizona team that can't defend anybody.

Followed that with 3 points when the game was still in doubt vs Cal

then 24 points vs Wisconsin - we'll give him that one. very impressive.

overall they, are 104th in scoring offense (that is giving them all 18 vs Cal) and we're worried about losing the OC. after one good game.

sports fans are funny.
    Last edited by smokymountainrain; 09-20-2018 at 12:22 PM.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post

then 24 points vs Wisconsin.

overall they, are 104th in scoring offense (that is giving them all 18 vs Cal) and we're worried about losing the OC.
    I guess some people see only numbers.

I guess some people see only numbers.
    especially the kind that determine wins and losses.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

then 24 points vs Wisconsin - we'll give him that one. very impressive.

overall they, are 104th in scoring offense (that is giving them all 18 vs Cal) and we're worried about losing the OC. after one good game.

sports fans are funny.
    This is BYU. We don't pay anybody and we'll always be a stepping stone for everybody but hardcore lifers (probably why we brought in Ty, Reno, etc). Of course we're losing our OC if he puts up any semblance of a competent offense.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

overall they, are 104th in scoring offense (that is giving them all 18 vs Cal)
    You give us those seven points and we're 98th!

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    This is BYU. We don't pay anybody and we'll always be a stepping stone for everybody but hardcore lifers (probably why we brought in Ty, Reno, etc). Of course we're losing our OC if he puts up any semblance of a competent offense.
    sure, but when you only have a 3 game sample and are only top 100 in offensive production (113th in total offense), it might be jumping the gun to be worried byu might lose him. bold, i know.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

You give us those seven points and we're 98th!
    no, that was giving them the 7.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

no, that was giving them the 7.
    I'm beginning to understand why Ross Apo hates you.
    Last edited by Surfah; 09-20-2018 at 02:10 PM.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

sure, but when you only have a 3 game sample and are only top 100 in offensive production (113th in total offense), it might be jumping the gun to be worried byu might lose him. bold, i know.
    Well it goes beyond the numbers. Two road wins against P5 teams. And. At. Wisconsin. Where, BTW, we nearly tripled the points they were giving up. As you say, it's only a three game sample, so I fully expect those numbers to go up.

Or I could be completely misreading this, and we're a hot mess.

If Grimes is all he's cracked up to be, by the end of the year Utah will be looking for an OC so he is welcome to come on over.

umm we are not a juggernaut on offense but we appear to be quite a bit better than last year even based on a small sample size. I don't think we are better at every facet of the offensive side of the ball, but the play of the o-line appears significantly better through 3 games. Given my opinion of our talent level at the skill positions, I think having an offense ranked 60-80 (where I think we will end up when all the patsies are finished) would be pretty good. That is where my adjusted expectations are for the remainder of the season which is significantly improved from my pre-season expectation of a bottom 10% FBS school.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Zero regrets. I love Ty but the program is always more important than individuals. Firing his was obviously the right move.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    If Grimes is all he's cracked up to be, by the end of the year Utah will be looking for an OC so he is welcome to come on over.
    That is a dead end job, amigo.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    I'm beginning to understand why Ross App hates you.

indeed, some people hate facts. oh well, get in line!
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Well, either he does well and gets hired as OC at a P5 school, or HC at a smaller school, or he sucks and he gets fired. There's not really a middle option. 3-4 years.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    umm we are not a juggernaut on offense but we appear to be quite a bit better than last year even based on a small sample size. I don't think we are better at every facet of the offensive side of the ball, but the play of the o-line appears significantly better through 3 games. Given my opinion of our talent level at the skill positions, I think having an offense ranked 60-80 (where I think we will end up when all the patsies are finished) would be pretty good. That is where my adjusted expectations are for the remainder of the season which is significantly improved from my pre-season expectation of a bottom 10% FBS school.
    Per usual, I'm with the 'Stripper. The O-line is where we've made significant strides and was really the unit that needed the biggest upgrade. You can win with mediocre or even poor QB play as Mangum demonstrates as long as your O-line is solid. You can run on traditionally stout front 7s even with RBs who lack breakaway speed as Squally and Lopini demonstrate when you have an O-line that can open bus lanes. Our offense isn't sexy but it's night and day better than the system Ty was running because Grimes can coach up an O-line.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Well, either he does well and gets hired as OC at a P5 school, or HC at a smaller school, or he sucks and he gets fired. There's not really a middle option. 3-4 years.
    Yeah, i disagree with that thought process. I think there is a middle ground where he does well enough that coupled with a good defense, byu can be good and he stays. Not sure there is a huge market out there for this pound it out style Wisconsin plays and byu wants to mimic.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Yeah, i disagree with that thought process. I think there is a middle ground where he does well enough that coupled with a good defense, byu can be good and he stays. Not sure there is a huge market out there for this pound it out style Wisconsin plays and byu wants to mimic.
    Okay, I'll concede that, but if we are putting percentages on which one of those 3 things happens, I think the middle ground is the smallest.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Pre-Historic Man

Okay, I'll concede that, but if we are putting percentages on which one of those 3 things happens, I think the middle ground is the smallest.
    Agreed.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Okay. I'll give you that
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

This is crazy talk. People like winners. You see anybody whining about our boring style in the win over Wisconsin?