Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast
Results 721 to 750 of 756

Thread: Fire Ty

  1. #721
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle View Post
    I thought he would replace Grimes as OC next year working under Andy Reid (who will replace Sitake next year should 2018 be similar to 2017).
    BYU doesn't hire somebody who has already worked in the position, don't you know?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  2. #722
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,752

    Default

    (bump)

    Swish!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  3. #723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    (bump)

    Swish!
    It’s one game, where Arizona has basically no film to work from with Grimes as an OC. The good is we put up 21 points in a quarter against a P5 team on the road... something that we haven’t done since we did it to Michigan state in 2016 during Detmer’s first year.

    The bigger surprise for me was the defense. Holding Tate to right around 200 total yards is incredible.

    With that - I’m definitely encouraged. JSut not ready to go all SU-wish yet.

  4. #724
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle View Post
    Itís one game, where Arizona has basically no film to work from with Grimes as an OC. The good is we put up 21 points in a quarter against a P5 team on the road... something that we havenít done since we did it to Michigan state in 2016 during Detmerís first year.

    The bigger surprise for me was the defense. Holding Tate to right around 200 total yards is incredible.

    With that - Iím definitely encouraged. JSut not ready to go all SU-wish yet.
    Aided in part by Arizona choosing to have him throw (incomplete passes) downfield instead of putting pressure on the defense with his legs.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  5. #725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Aided in part by Arizona choosing to have him throw (incomplete passes) downfield instead of putting pressure on the defense with his legs.
    Sure. But when he did use his legs, he wasn’t particularly effective either. 8 rushes for 14 yards? I’ll take that every time against a player the announcers made sound like Michael Vick meets Vince Young meets Tim Tebow.

  6. #726
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle View Post
    Sure. But when he did use his legs, he wasnít particularly effective either. 8 rushes for 14 yards? Iíll take that every time against a player the announcers made sound like Michael Vick meets Vince Young meets Tim Tebow.
    I was pleased with how the defense handled him as well as with the Zona coaching staff's decisions on how to utilize him.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  7. #727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle View Post
    Sure. But when he did use his legs, he wasn’t particularly effective either. 8 rushes for 14 yards? I’ll take that every time against a player the announcers made sound like Michael Vick meets Vince Young meets Tim Tebow.
    Gilmore practically fellated Tate on TV. Got old real fast.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

  8. #728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Aided in part by Arizona choosing to have him throw (incomplete passes) downfield instead of putting pressure on the defense with his legs.
    although my butt def puckered every time they threw at wilcox
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  9. #729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    (bump)

    Swish!
    OK, I'll finally give you the swish. I wasn't sure after Cal, but I think Grimes is the man. Breaks my heart that Ty couldn't get it done here. And you have to live with yourself for starting this thread, naming it as you did.

    That said, if Grimes is as good as I think he is, how long can we keep him?

  10. #730
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    OK, I'll finally give you the swish. I wasn't sure after Cal, but I think Grimes is the man. Breaks my heart that Ty couldn't get it done here. And you have to live with yourself for starting this thread, naming it as you did.

    That said, if Grimes is as good as I think he is, how long can we keep him?
    3 years.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  11. #731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    OK, I'll finally give you the swish. I wasn't sure after Cal, but I think Grimes is the man. Breaks my heart that Ty couldn't get it done here. And you have to live with yourself for starting this thread, naming it as you did.

    That said, if Grimes is as good as I think he is, how long can we keep him?
    they scored 28 on an Arizona team that can't defend anybody.

    Followed that with 3 points when the game was still in doubt vs Cal

    then 24 points vs Wisconsin - we'll give him that one. very impressive.

    overall they, are 104th in scoring offense (that is giving them all 18 vs Cal) and we're worried about losing the OC. after one good game.

    sports fans are funny.
    Last edited by smokymountainrain; 09-20-2018 at 12:22 PM.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  12. #732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    they scored 28 on an Arizona team that can't defend anybody.

    Followed that with 3 points when the game was still in doubt vs Cal

    then 24 points vs Wisconsin.

    overall they, are 104th in scoring offense (that is giving them all 18 vs Cal) and we're worried about losing the OC.
    I guess some people see only numbers.

  13. #733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I guess some people see only numbers.
    especially the kind that determine wins and losses.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  14. #734
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    they scored 28 on an Arizona team that can't defend anybody.

    Followed that with 3 points when the game was still in doubt vs Cal

    then 24 points vs Wisconsin - we'll give him that one. very impressive.

    overall they, are 104th in scoring offense (that is giving them all 18 vs Cal) and we're worried about losing the OC. after one good game.

    sports fans are funny.
    This is BYU. We don't pay anybody and we'll always be a stepping stone for everybody but hardcore lifers (probably why we brought in Ty, Reno, etc). Of course we're losing our OC if he puts up any semblance of a competent offense.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  15. #735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    overall they, are 104th in scoring offense (that is giving them all 18 vs Cal)
    You give us those seven points and we're 98th!

  16. #736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    This is BYU. We don't pay anybody and we'll always be a stepping stone for everybody but hardcore lifers (probably why we brought in Ty, Reno, etc). Of course we're losing our OC if he puts up any semblance of a competent offense.
    sure, but when you only have a 3 game sample and are only top 100 in offensive production (113th in total offense), it might be jumping the gun to be worried byu might lose him. bold, i know.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  17. #737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    You give us those seven points and we're 98th!
    no, that was giving them the 7.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  18. #738
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    no, that was giving them the 7.
    I'm beginning to understand why Ross Apo hates you.
    Last edited by Surfah; 09-20-2018 at 02:10 PM.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  19. #739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    sure, but when you only have a 3 game sample and are only top 100 in offensive production (113th in total offense), it might be jumping the gun to be worried byu might lose him. bold, i know.
    Well it goes beyond the numbers. Two road wins against P5 teams. And. At. Wisconsin. Where, BTW, we nearly tripled the points they were giving up. As you say, it's only a three game sample, so I fully expect those numbers to go up.

    Or I could be completely misreading this, and we're a hot mess.

  20. #740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    OK, I'll finally give you the swish. I wasn't sure after Cal, but I think Grimes is the man. Breaks my heart that Ty couldn't get it done here. And you have to live with yourself for starting this thread, naming it as you did.

    That said, if Grimes is as good as I think he is, how long can we keep him?
    If Grimes is all he's cracked up to be, by the end of the year Utah will be looking for an OC so he is welcome to come on over.

  21. #741

    Default

    umm we are not a juggernaut on offense but we appear to be quite a bit better than last year even based on a small sample size. I don't think we are better at every facet of the offensive side of the ball, but the play of the o-line appears significantly better through 3 games. Given my opinion of our talent level at the skill positions, I think having an offense ranked 60-80 (where I think we will end up when all the patsies are finished) would be pretty good. That is where my adjusted expectations are for the remainder of the season which is significantly improved from my pre-season expectation of a bottom 10% FBS school.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

  22. #742
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    OK, I'll finally give you the swish. I wasn't sure after Cal, but I think Grimes is the man. Breaks my heart that Ty couldn't get it done here. And you have to live with yourself for starting this thread, naming it as you did.

    That said, if Grimes is as good as I think he is, how long can we keep him?
    Zero regrets. I love Ty but the program is always more important than individuals. Firing his was obviously the right move.

    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    If Grimes is all he's cracked up to be, by the end of the year Utah will be looking for an OC so he is welcome to come on over.
    That is a dead end job, amigo.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  23. #743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    I'm beginning to understand why Ross App hates you.


    indeed, some people hate facts. oh well, get in line!
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  24. #744
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    sure, but when you only have a 3 game sample and are only top 100 in offensive production (113th in total offense), it might be jumping the gun to be worried byu might lose him. bold, i know.
    Well, either he does well and gets hired as OC at a P5 school, or HC at a smaller school, or he sucks and he gets fired. There's not really a middle option. 3-4 years.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  25. #745
    Peanut Gallery Asshat HBCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    umm we are not a juggernaut on offense but we appear to be quite a bit better than last year even based on a small sample size. I don't think we are better at every facet of the offensive side of the ball, but the play of the o-line appears significantly better through 3 games. Given my opinion of our talent level at the skill positions, I think having an offense ranked 60-80 (where I think we will end up when all the patsies are finished) would be pretty good. That is where my adjusted expectations are for the remainder of the season which is significantly improved from my pre-season expectation of a bottom 10% FBS school.
    Per usual, I'm with the 'Stripper. The O-line is where we've made significant strides and was really the unit that needed the biggest upgrade. You can win with mediocre or even poor QB play as Mangum demonstrates as long as your O-line is solid. You can run on traditionally stout front 7s even with RBs who lack breakaway speed as Squally and Lopini demonstrate when you have an O-line that can open bus lanes. Our offense isn't sexy but it's night and day better than the system Ty was running because Grimes can coach up an O-line.

  26. #746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Well, either he does well and gets hired as OC at a P5 school, or HC at a smaller school, or he sucks and he gets fired. There's not really a middle option. 3-4 years.
    Yeah, i disagree with that thought process. I think there is a middle ground where he does well enough that coupled with a good defense, byu can be good and he stays. Not sure there is a huge market out there for this pound it out style Wisconsin plays and byu wants to mimic.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  27. #747
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    Yeah, i disagree with that thought process. I think there is a middle ground where he does well enough that coupled with a good defense, byu can be good and he stays. Not sure there is a huge market out there for this pound it out style Wisconsin plays and byu wants to mimic.
    Okay, I'll concede that, but if we are putting percentages on which one of those 3 things happens, I think the middle ground is the smallest.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  28. #748
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Okay, I'll concede that, but if we are putting percentages on which one of those 3 things happens, I think the middle ground is the smallest.
    Agreed.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  29. #749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Okay, I'll concede that, but if we are putting percentages on which one of those 3 things happens, I think the middle ground is the smallest.
    Okay. I'll give you that
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  30. #750
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    Yeah, i disagree with that thought process. I think there is a middle ground where he does well enough that coupled with a good defense, byu can be good and he stays. Not sure there is a huge market out there for this pound it out style Wisconsin plays and byu wants to mimic.
    This is crazy talk. People like winners. You see anybody whining about our boring style in the win over Wisconsin?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •