Fire Ty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Who is lumping everything on Ty? This is the worst BYU season in our lifetimes. This is a complete collapse of the entire staff. Ty included.
    With all due respect, you are the one who started a thread called "Fire Ty". Yes, this is the worst season in our lifetimes and I agree that the entire staff has a huge chunk of the blame. My thought is that this was the perfect storm of futility for this team. Inexperienced players and coaches, a overly critical fanbase, an administration that thinks changing parts such as a Head Coach could go flawlessly, a former head coach taking ALL but Steve Kaufusi (who imho is not that great) and Guy Holiday (who seemingly didn't want to go), injuries, one of the HARDEST schedules the Cougs have EVER had, and a university culture that thinks it can pay peanuts and get results because "the Lord will provide". I could go on, but it doesn't matter now. We suck in football...again! As a lifelong fan myself, I am struggling to keep it together. I have no answers...but to blame Ty for what is obviously a problem much bigger than him seem patently unfair.

Might I suggest a thread name title change to something like BYU Football: We've Fallen and Can't Get Up!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by originalsocal View Post
      With all due respect, you are the one who started a thread called "Fire Ty". Yes, this is the worst season in our lifetimes and I agree that the entire staff has a huge chunk of the blame. My thought is that this was the perfect storm of futility for this team. Inexperienced players and coaches, a overly critical fanbase, an administration that thinks changing parts such as a Head Coach could go flawlessly, a former head coach taking ALL but Steve Kaufusi (who imho is not that great) and Guy Holiday (who seemingly didn't want to go), injuries, one of the HARDEST schedules the Cougs have EVER had, and a university culture that thinks it can pay peanuts and get results because "the Lord will provide". I could go on, but it doesn't matter now. We suck in football...again! As a lifelong fan myself, I am struggling to keep it together. I have no answers...but to blame Ty for what is obviously a problem much bigger than him seem patently unfair.

Might I suggest a thread name title change to something like BYU Football: We've Fallen and Can't Get Up!!!
      While I agree with some of this, but there are plenty of competent OCs at programs that pay their coaches even less than BYU. Ty's offense scheme isn't cutting it in the college game. And can all of these injuries really be attributed to bad luck? Te conditioning program probably shares some blame.

But the two revenue generating sports are not in good shape right now. And they haven't been good since independence/WCC. Its been almost a decade since they had a really good team. They aren't mentally tough. So what gives? Independence/WCC? Honor code weeding out true competitors? The terrible pay?

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
        While I agree with some of this, but there are plenty of competent OCs at programs that pay their coaches even less than BYU. Ty's offense scheme isn't cutting it in the college game. And can all of these injuries really be attributed to bad luck? Te conditioning program probably shares some blame.

But the two revenue generating sports are not in good shape right now. And they haven't been good since independence/WCC. Its been almost a decade since they had a really good team. They aren't mentally tough. So what gives? Independence/WCC? Honor code weeding out true competitors? The terrible pay?
        No attack is going to be great for us right now. We simply have too many injuries and not good enough personnel to be competitive at this point. This is going to be a tough fix but it starts with recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
          No attack is going to be great for us right now. We simply have too many injuries and not good enough personnel to be competitive at this point. This is going to be a tough fix but it starts with recruiting.
          If recruiting is the fix, BYU is a ways off. Have you seen the current class? Do you know of any JC guys they are pursuing?

Comment

If recruiting is the fix, BYU is a ways off. Have you seen the current class? Do you know of any JC guys they are pursuing?
            BYU is in deep trouble. We've shrunk our recruiting pool too much and players have other options that are generally considered preferable. I'm not just talking about Utah.

Comment

BYU is in deep trouble. We've shrunk our recruiting pool too much and players have other options that are generally considered preferable. I'm not just talking about Utah.
              You are not talking me off the ledge here.

Comment

• Originally posted by originalsocal View Post

That’s fine. Feel free to start another thread. I stand by this one. And it doesn’t have to mean that he is the only problem.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

You are not talking me off the ledge here.
                  You should probably be on the ledge. This has been a long time coming.

I sustained a grade 2 hamstring tear a week ago playing hockey. The injury kept me at home today. While I was watching I was on the phone with a BYU grad buddy in Cali. The subject turned to BYU's issues and he mentioned his nephew who spent two years on BYU's team. He didn't really enjoy it nor did he like his spot on the depth chart so he did a season at a JC and transferred to USU. The kid is now starting and doing very well. According to his uncle he vastly prefers USU experience to BYU's. The way this kid feels isn't uncommon and it permeates the local high school scene. BYU did well when it got Holker out of Lehi. He's exactly the kind of player we have to have. However, we can't miss on the Cammon Cooper types who, with Holker, makes for the best one-two punch in the state. Cooper, from what I understand, doesn't have much interest in BYU and is headed to Washington State. Why doesn't he have an interest in BYU? In his case I do not know but it's very disappointing.

Comment

You should probably be on the ledge. This has been a long time coming.

I sustained a grade 2 hamstring tear a week ago playing hockey. The injury kept me at home today. While I was watching I was on the phone with a BYU grad buddy in Cali. The subject turned to BYU's issues and he mentioned his nephew who spent two years on BYU's team. He didn't really enjoy it nor did he like his spot on the depth chart so he did a season at a JC and transferred to USU. The kid is now starting and doing very well. According to his uncle he vastly prefers USU experience to BYU's. The way this kid feels isn't uncommon and it permeates the local high school scene. BYU did well when it got Holker out of Lehi. He's exactly the kind of player we have to have. However, we can't miss on the Cammon Cooper types who, with Holker, makes for the best one-two punch in the state. Cooper, from what I understand, doesn't have much interest in BYU and is headed to Washington State. Why doesn't he have an interest in BYU? In his case I do not know but it's very disappointing.
                    Thank you for that meaningless anecdote.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Good news Shaka, the coaching staff that ticked off Roman Andrus is now gone.

Comment

What's meaningless about it? My injury part? Probably superfluous but I would have been at the game if it wasn't the case and not talked to my buddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                          Good news Shaka, the coaching staff that ticked off Roman Andrus is now gone.
                          I'm relieved that you took the time to research that. It wasn't just the coaches although they played a part. We need to keep those guys as he's 6'4 and weighs three bills. His size is what we need on our O-line.

Comment

That’s fine. Feel free to start another thread. I stand by this one. And it doesn’t have to mean that he is the only problem.
                            No problem brother. I'm just frustrated...like everyone else. The amount of problems we have seems catastrophic right now. I mean we lost at home to a team we put +50 pts on a year ago. It feels like a free fall. Someone should pay for this mess...I just don't know who.

It's painful for me to think that BYU would ever fire an icon like Ty Detmer.

Comment

I'm relieved that you took the time to research that. It wasn't just the coaches although they played a part. We need to keep those guys as he's 6'4 and weighs three bills. His size is what we need on our O-line.
                              Only guy under 300 on the online is Shoaf. We don't really lack size this year. Andrus never played under Sitake did he?

Comment

You’re salty these days!!

Comment

Working...
                                X