Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    H
    YO, this one thing in isolation is not that big of a deal. Some team discipline and you move on. But if you don't think we have major issues going on right now in the program you are smoking something yourself.
    Well that's quite a thing to say! But yes. I think it's pretty clear this team and coaching staff is horrible. I'd love for them to succeed, but sheesh. At this point I'm not even sure I'd take the day off work at a chance for free gear in the annual #BYU50!

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      Well that's quite a thing to say! But yes. I think it's pretty clear this team and coaching staff is horrible. I'd love for them to succeed, but sheesh. At this point I'm not even sure I'd take the day off work at a chance for free gear in the annual #BYU50!
      Not only that, but someone said earlier "Winning hides a multitude of sins." I agree. And losing magnifies sins. Kalani needs to get things under control ASAP or he is in huge trouble. Forget the OC issues. Overall team discipline is his job.

I want Kalani to succeed. I hope he can right the ship. Pronto.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
        I don't think Detmer should be fired. I'd support him being named the head coach at BYU.

Comment

• In 20+ games under Detmer's tutelage, we have yet to look anything better than average on offense. And the average games were all last year (with NFL players on the roster). This year, we look completely inept. If past performance is any indicator of the future, we are not going to be a good offensive team with Detmer at the helm. I don't believe in midseason firings, but I'm absolutely shopping for a new OC in December if I'm Kalani.

I don't think the Ula/marijuana thing is a big deal. But if isolated incidents become a trend, I can't see the powers that be stand idly by. I think Kalani deserves at least another year, but I think he needs help. I would like to see:

- Kalani retained, but the "BYU guy" coaching staff philosophy gets ditched. Performance needs to matter.
          - Ty put out to pasture
          - BYU makes a commitment to an offensive system that will allow lesser talented athletes to compete. Probably an Air Raid scheme, maybe with some power run reminiscent of Anae 1.0.
          - Hire an experienced play caller with track record of success from G5/FBS ranks. Needs to be an aggressive up and comer that is going to try and make his bones at BYU, and then move on to bigger and better things. That's the only way you can get quality assistants: become a good stepping stone.
          - Eval the offensive assistants: I'm not smart enough to know if Reno/Cahoon/Empey/Steve are all good enough to stay on. Might need to cut bait with 2-3 of these guys
          - Demote Tuiaki to DL coach and Co-DC.
          - Bring in an experienced Co-DC
          - Allow Steve Kaufusi to gracefully retire, or get a job like Bosco. I don't think it's any coincidence that our most heralded preseason group (the LBs) has looked as bad as they have with Steve coaching them for the 1st time.
          - With the NCAA allowing for a 10th coach next year, I think it's a given that ARod is on the staff. I'm not advocating it, but I bet it happens.

I think BYU is in a tough spot. We've shot ourselves in the foot (recruiting restrictions, independence, Honor Code, etc) a few times, and the changing landscape has gone away from us. Hope I'm wrong!
          "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• You guys are funny. You’re hard wired to avoid the obvious. Sitake is the head coach. He’s the problem. I told you this was Bronco’s team last year. The first year for better or worse is the least reliable for judging a coach. It was obvious to me Sitake wasn’t going to succeed as head coach from the time you hired him in a panic. THe only thing he’s got on his resume that impresses is as DC under Whit, and a ham sandwich would look good as a DC under Whit. Go ahead and keep deluding yourselves that it’s not the HC, but the OC, or the PP. Fine with me if you ignore the obvious. But I don’t get why none of you can see the sad place this is going to end up. All of this self-delusion for what? Future hoped for poly recruits? This HC is doomed.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• To clarify, this HC (head coach) not HC (honor code) is doomed.

BYU can be respectable despite the HC (honor code), even maybe beat Utah once in a while, as BM showed. Anyway, complaining about the honor code is like complaining about being in Provo.
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                To clarify, this HC (head coach) not HC (honor code) is doomed.

BYU can be respectable despite the HC (honor code), even maybe beat Utah once in a while, as BM showed. Anyway, complaining about the honor code is like complaining about being in Provo.
                Go away.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Go away.
                  Having missed dinner, my only thought while reading his post was that a ham sandwich looks good in pretty much any situation.

Comment

Let's see: worst string of losses in decades, recruits jumping ship, multiple players being arrested, no team discipline... Yeah, just a blip folks. No big deal.

One more player arrested and we need to start a Fire Kalani thread. This program is out of control.
                    What BYU player was arrested? I'm only tracking one former player arrested.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                      What BYU player was arrested? I'm only tracking one former player arrested.
                      Yeah, I don't think Ula was arrested... I guess the police felt sorry for him that he didn't have a baggie for his weed and had to carry it around on a frisbee.

Tolutau was a passenger and was found holding a frisbee containing marijuana. He told the deputy that the pot was in a frisbee because he didn’t have a baggie. He was cited at the scene and released. No other citations were given.
                      For hell sakes... will someone get a baggie for Ula to carry around his weed?
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                        You guys are funny. You’re hard wired to avoid the obvious. Sitake is the head coach. He’s the problem. I told you this was Bronco’s team last year. The first year for better or worse is the least reliable for judging a coach. It was obvious to me Sitake wasn’t going to succeed as head coach from the time you hired him in a panic. THe only thing he’s got on his resume that impresses is as DC under Whit, and a ham sandwich would look good as a DC under Whit. Go ahead and keep deluding yourselves that it’s not the HC, but the OC, or the PP. Fine with me if you ignore the obvious. But I don’t get why none of you can see the sad place this is going to end up. All of this self-delusion for what? Future hoped for poly recruits? This HC is doomed.
                        I agree with this to a point. This team is undisciplined and that's on Kalani. It will be interesting to see if he can do some growing while on the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                          I agree with this to a point. This team is undisciplined and that's on Kalani. It will be interesting to see if he can do some growing while on the job.
                          The problem is the degree of growth necessary may be more than he is allowed. The Honor Code problems coming to light, which we know are always there, are not tolerated by the BoT and especially not when they are losing.

It is obvious that the lack of accountability and discipline is ultimately on the Kalani, because is at least partly responsible for selecting task masters as assistant and position coaches.

I kinda think KS's goose is cooked after next year. He might survive one more year, but he doesn't have the talent to overcome his shortcomings.
                          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Meh, Kalani could become Crowton II but he's not quite there yet. There are always HC problems and unless I'm mistaken no one has been busted for gang rape. He'll get another year, probably two, to remedy the situation.

Comment

Meh, Kalani could become Crowton II but he's not quite there yet. There are always HC problems and unless I'm mistaken no one has been busted for gang rape. He'll get another year, probably two, to remedy the situation.
                              I agree he'll get at least one, but if he goes without a win for the next year and a half?
                              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Meh, Kalani could become Crowton II but he's not quite there yet. There are always HC problems and unless I'm mistaken no one has been busted for gang rape. He'll get another year, probably two, to remedy the situation.
                                Why players from the Crowton era rapists, despite them being found not guilty? Instead of saying gang rape scandal, we should start saying Kalani is yet to have a “girl who didn’t want her parents to know she had sex with minorities” scandal.
                                Get confident, stupid
                                -landpoke

Comment

Working...
                                X