Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast
Results 691 to 720 of 753

Thread: Fire Ty

  1. #691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Why do you take exception to the truth?

    You sound like Hans yesterday throwing a wet blanket on the hire because he doesn't have play calling experience. It's so overrated. The fact that tooblue is your only torch bearer should give you pause.
    You're right: playing calling isn't a big deal, although from the new coordinator's own mouth he did say it is a "big deal." So, he doesn't even agree with you and is in fact the one carrying the torch. But, hey, I'm sure he'll do "just fine."

  2. #692
    CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Up on western high
    Posts
    12,892

    Default

    This thread is awesome opcorn:
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

    "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

    "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

    -Rick Majerus

  3. #693

    Default

    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

    Woot

    I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

  4. #694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
    LOL

    This is a minor spat. I dig Surfah. Good dude.

  5. #695
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,971

    Default



    JiC, for some reason I used "snacking" for that emoji and not "popcorn". One of my life regrets.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  6. #696
    CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Up on western high
    Posts
    12,892

    Default

    Thanks. That is one drawback of Tapatalk, you don't see if you screwed up the phrase.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

    "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

    "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

    -Rick Majerus

  7. #697
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    You're right: playing calling isn't a big deal, although from the new coordinator's own mouth he did say it is a "big deal." So, he doesn't even agree with you and is in fact the one carrying the torch. But, hey, I'm sure he'll do "just fine."
    You lost this argument a few pages ago when you appealed to your own authority as a coach. Unfortunately for me, I didn't realize your reading comprehension was on par with your debate skills.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  8. #698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    You lost this argument a few pages ago when you appealed to your own authority as a coach. Unfortunately for me, I didn't realize your reading comprehension was on par with your debate skills.
    I didn't appeal to authority as a coach, but rather offered that comment in response to the "I read a book/blog*" about smart football and therefore "I know all" absurdity that is your argument ... lol ... at least Lebowski picked up on it, so kudos to Jeff.

    Per the issue of reading comprehension, is it not strange that the very coach we are "debating" contradicts your "opinion?"

    *Forgive me if it was Sizzle exclusively who is book smart about play calling in football.
    Last edited by tooblue; 12-15-2017 at 01:25 PM.

  9. #699
    Senior Member Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Davis County
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Grimes just minimized play calling in that quote.
    Of course he did. He just got hired for a job that requires play calling and he's never done it before.

    When I'm applying for a job that includes some responsibilities I've never had before, I'm going to play up similar things I've done and downplay the importance of the things I haven't done. I think that should be expected from him, quite honestly.

  10. #700
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Of course he did. He just got hired for a job that requires play calling and he's never done it before.

    When I'm applying for a job that includes some responsibilities I've never had before, I'm going to play up similar things I've done and downplay the importance of the things I haven't done. I think that should be expected from him, quite honestly.
    Why minimize it? He already got the job.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  11. #701
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Of course he did. He just got hired for a job that requires play calling and he's never done it before.

    When I'm applying for a job that includes some responsibilities I've never had before, I'm going to play up similar things I've done and downplay the importance of the things I haven't done. I think that should be expected from him, quite honestly.
    C'mon Eddie. Not you too. In the quote he said he's been in plenty of situations, ones with national championships on the line even, where he's had to make the call. He's not minimizing it because he hasn't or can't do it. He's minimizing it because his 25 years of working under guys like Dirk Koetter, Dan Hawkins, RC Slocum, Gus Malzahan, Frank Beamer, Les Miles, Cam Cameron, CEO, etc. tell him it's not as important as what you do during the week.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  12. #702
    Senior Member BigFatMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Jordan, UT
    Posts
    2,580

    Default

    I love this thread. Any topic that entices surfah, sizzle, and shaka, to get into a three-way debate is awesome.

  13. #703
    Board Bookworm happyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Davis County
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    This last few page have been entertaining, but I really need to get back to work

    I may be small, but I'm slow.

    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

  14. #704
    Senior Member Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Davis County
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    C'mon Eddie. Not you too. In the quote he said he's been in plenty of situations, ones with national championships on the line even, where he's had to make the call. He's not minimizing it because he hasn't or can't do it. He's minimizing it because his 25 years of working under guys like Dirk Koetter, Dan Hawkins, RC Slocum, Gus Malzahan, Frank Beamer, Les Miles, Cam Cameron, CEO, etc. tell him it's not as important as what you do during the week.
    You're reading me wrong. I'm not worried about Grimes play calling experience - or lack thereof. I'm not intending to imply that he is minimizing something that people should be worried about or saying it's a big deal. I'm not all that interested in that debate at all and tend to agree with Grimes, that a lot of the important stuff is handled during the week when doing game prep.

    That discussion completely aside - I'm just saying that in the job environment, when someone is taking on a new job that requires them to demonstrate a specific skill they haven't demonstrated in the past, certain aspects are always minimized and/or compared to other skills the person does have.

    When I interviewed (and was hired) for a position that had budget responsibilities, I was asked about my experience with a budget. I didn't have any in the business world - but I could give my basic philosophy on budgeting, relate my personal finance experience, and minimize the challenge or difficulty in that role I was applying for.

    We see it in politics all the time. Someone doesn't have this experience - but they have other experience that they relate to it in order to elicit a feeling of competence.

  15. #705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    I love this thread. Any topic that entices surfah, sizzle, and shaka, to get into a three-way debate is awesome.
    I smoked a cigarette after.

  16. #706
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,805

    Default

    Roderick: Passing game coordinator
    Ryan Pugh: Assistant (O-line, I'd imagine)
    Fesi Sitake: Nepotism Czar
    Steve Clark: TE coach
    RB Coach TBD

    I feel badly for Empey. His son has to be pissed.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  17. #707
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    I love this thread. Any topic that entices surfah, sizzle, and shaka, to get into a three-way debate is awesome.
    Bad form. The only 3-ways with which Shaka gets involved occur at Lake Powell and do not include another dude.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  18. #708
    Major disappointment The_Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,506

    Default

    How does Pugh tie in here? Any history with BYU?

    I'm interested to see if Harvey Unga ends up getting the RB position. No way they were keeping Mahe.

  19. #709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Bad form. The only 3-ways with which Shaka gets involved occur at Lake Powell and do not include another dude.
    This is correct.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #710
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    How does Pugh tie in here? Any history with BYU?

    I'm interested to see if Harvey Unga ends up getting the RB position. No way they were keeping Mahe.
    Played for Grimes at Auburn. Coached with Grimes at LSU. He's 29 years old.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  21. #711

    Default

    Don’t know how I feel about Roderick coaching, but he can’t do anything but bolster our recruiting. I hope he can help keep Romney in the fold.
    Last edited by frank ryan; 12-27-2017 at 03:59 PM.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

  22. #712
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,249

    Default

    These look like credible hires, ones who should be able to stabilize the program and perhaps succeed. I am legitimately more hopeful with these hires than I was with the first offensive staff.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  23. #713
    Chronic Poseur USUC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Riverton, UT
    Posts
    4,995

    Default

    So who is the QB coach?

  24. #714
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USUC View Post
    So who is the QB coach?
    Fesi maybe?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  25. #715
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,805

    Default

    I think by calling ARod the “passing game coordinator,” you’re putting him over QBs And WRs and getting some help from a GA. Could be wrong.

    I’m pretty bummed about Empey. Seems like he earned a return invite.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  26. #716
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,646

    Default

    I really have no opinion on the new coaches other than I'm happy they all have a good amount of experience. Definite upgrade in experience and hopefully intensity.

    I laugh at long time fans that are upset about the "new direction" of the team and kicking Ty to the curb. Ty is one of the best human beings to play football at BYU but he sucked as an OC. He'd probably also suck as a QB coach. If bending to fans desire (Anae out, Doman as OC, Ty as OC) is what the old direction was, then I'm happy in the new direction.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  27. #717
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I really have no opinion on the new coaches other than I'm happy they all have a good amount of experience. Definite upgrade in experience and hopefully intensity.

    I laugh at long time fans that are upset about the "new direction" of the team and kicking Ty to the curb. Ty is one of the best human beings to play football at BYU but he sucked as an OC. He'd probably also suck as a QB coach. If bending to fans desire (Anae out, Doman as OC, Ty as OC) is what the old direction was, then I'm happy in the new direction.
    This staff appears to have the ability and experience to turn around the lack of discipline and focus. Let's see if BYU has the players needed to get it done.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  28. #718
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,113

    Default

    We hired our OC too soon, it seems. Darrell Bevell is now in the market.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  29. #719
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    We hired our OC too soon, it seems. Darrell Bevell is now in the market.
    Don't worry, he will replace Sitake next year.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  30. #720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Don't worry, he will replace Sitake next year.
    I thought he would replace Grimes as OC next year working under Andy Reid (who will replace Sitake next year should 2018 be similar to 2017).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •