Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    Why do you take exception to the truth?

You sound like Hans yesterday throwing a wet blanket on the hire because he doesn't have play calling experience. It's so overrated. The fact that tooblue is your only torch bearer should give you pause.
    You're right: playing calling isn't a big deal, although from the new coordinator's own mouth he did say it is a "big deal." So, he doesn't even agree with you and is in fact the one carrying the torch. But, hey, I'm sure he'll do "just fine."

Comment

• This thread is awesome opcorn:
      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
        SU

Comment

• Originally posted by snowcat View Post
          LOL

This is a minor spat. I dig Surfah. Good dude.

Comment

• JiC, for some reason I used "snacking" for that emoji and not "popcorn". One of my life regrets.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Thanks. That is one drawback of Tapatalk, you don't see if you screwed up the phrase.
              "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                You're right: playing calling isn't a big deal, although from the new coordinator's own mouth he did say it is a "big deal." So, he doesn't even agree with you and is in fact the one carrying the torch. But, hey, I'm sure he'll do "just fine."
                You lost this argument a few pages ago when you appealed to your own authority as a coach. Unfortunately for me, I didn't realize your reading comprehension was on par with your debate skills.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

You lost this argument a few pages ago when you appealed to your own authority as a coach. Unfortunately for me, I didn't realize your reading comprehension was on par with your debate skills.
                  I didn't appeal to authority as a coach, but rather offered that comment in response to the "I read a book/blog*" about smart football and therefore "I know all" absurdity that is your argument ... lol ... at least Lebowski picked up on it, so kudos to Jeff.

Per the issue of reading comprehension, is it not strange that the very coach we are "debating" contradicts your "opinion?"

*Forgive me if it was Sizzle exclusively who is book smart about play calling in football.
                  Last edited by tooblue; 12-15-2017, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Grimes just minimized play calling in that quote.
                    Of course he did. He just got hired for a job that requires play calling and he's never done it before.

When I'm applying for a job that includes some responsibilities I've never had before, I'm going to play up similar things I've done and downplay the importance of the things I haven't done. I think that should be expected from him, quite honestly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                      Of course he did. He just got hired for a job that requires play calling and he's never done it before.

When I'm applying for a job that includes some responsibilities I've never had before, I'm going to play up similar things I've done and downplay the importance of the things I haven't done. I think that should be expected from him, quite honestly.
                      Why minimize it? He already got the job.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post

C'mon Eddie. Not you too. In the quote he said he's been in plenty of situations, ones with national championships on the line even, where he's had to make the call. He's not minimizing it because he hasn't or can't do it. He's minimizing it because his 25 years of working under guys like Dirk Koetter, Dan Hawkins, RC Slocum, Gus Malzahan, Frank Beamer, Les Miles, Cam Cameron, CEO, etc. tell him it's not as important as what you do during the week.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

• I love this thread. Any topic that entices surfah, sizzle, and shaka, to get into a three-way debate is awesome.

Comment

• This last few page have been entertaining, but I really need to get back to work

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

C'mon Eddie. Not you too. In the quote he said he's been in plenty of situations, ones with national championships on the line even, where he's had to make the call. He's not minimizing it because he hasn't or can't do it. He's minimizing it because his 25 years of working under guys like Dirk Koetter, Dan Hawkins, RC Slocum, Gus Malzahan, Frank Beamer, Les Miles, Cam Cameron, CEO, etc. tell him it's not as important as what you do during the week.
                              You're reading me wrong. I'm not worried about Grimes play calling experience - or lack thereof. I'm not intending to imply that he is minimizing something that people should be worried about or saying it's a big deal. I'm not all that interested in that debate at all and tend to agree with Grimes, that a lot of the important stuff is handled during the week when doing game prep.

That discussion completely aside - I'm just saying that in the job environment, when someone is taking on a new job that requires them to demonstrate a specific skill they haven't demonstrated in the past, certain aspects are always minimized and/or compared to other skills the person does have.

When I interviewed (and was hired) for a position that had budget responsibilities, I was asked about my experience with a budget. I didn't have any in the business world - but I could give my basic philosophy on budgeting, relate my personal finance experience, and minimize the challenge or difficulty in that role I was applying for.

We see it in politics all the time. Someone doesn't have this experience - but they have other experience that they relate to it in order to elicit a feeling of competence.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                                I love this thread. Any topic that entices surfah, sizzle, and shaka, to get into a three-way debate is awesome.
                                I smoked a cigarette after.

Comment

Working...
                                X