Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
Results 661 to 690 of 721

Thread: Fire Ty

  1. #661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    So we do you propose BYU do differently? We aren’t going to lure a good P5 OC for many reasons (not just money). We could possible get a G5 OC to come to BYU, but that’s even difficult given the constraints many see at BYU (cough, cough, honor code).

    BYU decided to take a more calculated gamble and hire a guy that had a lot of P5 experience (just not as OC) and someone who has worked at BYU and knows the culture and limitations.

    You’ll always have a risk in making any hire if you are a G5 or a run of the mill P5 school. Alabama and Ohio State can go hire sure fire coaches because they have the name and money to do it. BYU doesn’t and for that reason alone many people are praising this hire because it’s just about as good as BYU could do. Some may even say it’s better than what they thought BYU could do.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tootle is just upset he didn't get an interview with his "coaching" background and all.

  2. #662
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    19,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle View Post
    tootle is just upset he didn't get an interview with his "coaching" background and all.
    Hey, I’ve coached over two dozens seasons of basketball, flag football, soccer and baseball (well, T-ball and coach pitch). So my qualifications are right up there with his. I should have gotten an interview. I considered applying just for fun.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  3. #663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Hey, I’ve coached over two dozens seasons of basketball, flag football, soccer and baseball (well, T-ball and coach pitch). So my qualifications are right up there with his. I should have gotten an interview. I considered applying just for fun.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But did you actually make in game play calls or not?!

  4. #664
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,657

    Default

    We are such a weird fan base. We get some really great news on a hire no one thought was realistic after the worst season of our lives and half of us want to talk about how this could go bad. It's ok to be happy about some things. Maybe even optimistic!

  5. #665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle View Post
    tootle is just upset he didn't get an interview with his "coaching" background and all.
    You guys are awesome ... lol ... Sizzle shot video of practices, so like he knows knows, you know, and Moliere? he doesn't even watch games, but hey, if the best you can do is mock and make fun of someone who isn't buying your zoobness, that's cool, I get it. Let's see if I can get behind zoobiness to the max logic: Grimes is single-handedly going to save BYU football and deliver us to the promised land ... oh, and when is the lone peak three going to get us to the final four?


  6. #666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    But did you actually make in game play calls or not?!
    Actually, I think he was just another American tourist in Paris and didn't actually watch any games, but I'm sure sizzle pointed a camera pressed a little red button, so, like, he knows man

  7. #667
    Trump-hating snowflake Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    44,803

    Default

    lol. tooblue hasn't changed.
    "Socialism is not bad IMHO" - byu71
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

  8. #668
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    10,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    You guys are awesome ... lol ... Sizzle shot video of practices, so like he knows knows, you know, and Moliere? he doesn't even watch games, but hey, if the best you can do is mock and make fun of someone who isn't buying your zoobness, that's cool, I get it. Let's see if I can get behind zoobiness to the max logic: Grimes is single-handedly going to save BYU football and deliver us to the promised land ... oh, and when is the lone peak three going to get us to the final four?

    TB, it is part of the exegetical process.

    Grimes may or may not succeed, but he has experience at the college level with successful programs, and his bosses have deemed him competent enough to continue to hire him. That should be a sign that he has the ability to do something right.

    As others have shown game-planning is something the entire staff does, and actually play-calling is something of less value.

    He brings a fresh start, he's not LDS, and we believe he can install some discipline. By all accounts he's also a good recruiter. Could we have hired the top college OC? No.

    We have a right to be hopeful while acknowledging there is a risk. You take over as the Board Pessimist.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  9. #669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle View Post
    As responsibilities of being the offensive coordinator, sure. But those components are definitely different skills, of which, play calling is more overrated than game preparation. Glad to see you've seen the light and agree.
    Whatevs. I say potato and you say potahto. You enjoy being a contrarian. As for me I'll stick with reality. The ability to be an effective play caller in games is deeply affected by game prep. If you fail at either you're toast. They go hand in hand.

  10. #670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    TB, it is part of the exegetical process.

    Grimes may or may not succeed, but he has experience at the college level with successful programs, and his bosses have deemed him competent enough to continue to hire him. That should be a sign that he has the ability to do something right.

    As others have shown game-planning is something the entire staff does, and actually play-calling is something of less value.

    He brings a fresh start, he's not LDS, and we believe he can install some discipline. By all accounts he's also a good recruiter. Could we have hired the top college OC? No.

    We have a right to be hopeful while acknowledging there is a risk. You take over as the Board Pessimist.
    I'm hopeful, and on record as stating the hire was exciting for the exact reasons you cite above, I'm just not Lone Peak three hopeful ... I'm not a zoob.

  11. #671
    Senior Member originalsocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    730

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I'm hopeful, and on record as stating the hire was exciting for the exact reasons you cite above, I'm just not Lone Peak three hopeful ... I'm not a zoob.
    WTF are you talking about? I see no one on this board who believes that "Grimes is single-handedly going to save BYU football and deliver us to the promised land". Are we excited....hell YES! But I have yet to see a single poster say such a thing...except you. I'll be beside myself if we can somehow get to 6 wins next year. The Grimes hire gives me hope that we MIGHT get there. This is why we can't have nice things...we get something good and someone pisses all over it.

    Good hell man, if Topper is telling you that you are too negative, you might want to reassess things. You accuse us of being "zoobs", but what is more zoob than complaining incessantly about something that is potentially good for us?

    This is a great hire, if anything Funk is not happy. Take solace in that at least.

  12. #672
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,517

    Default

    Here is what Grimes himself said about play-calling vs. game planning:

    What will your approach be as a play-caller and running an offense?

    I would say in terms of the play-calling stuff... I don’t want to minimize that responsibility at all because I recognize it’s a big deal and there are a lot of pressure calls made, but I’ve always believed a lot of the calls are made on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday throughout the week as you’re game-planning.

    I’ve been in a lot of situations where it’s fourth-and-1 and somebody says, ‘Hey, Grimey, what do you want here?’ That’s as big of a call as there is anywhere in the game. If I can make a call in that situation with a conference championship or national championship at stake, I feel like I can make any call. But I do know there will be greater responsibility and a different role in doing that full time. I think I’ll be the same guy I am right now, which is a guy that believes in developing the culture and mindset of the group first. My first order of business will be to develop an offense that’s tough, hard-working and completely committed to one another. I believe if you have guys that are passionate about the game then they’ll do all the things necessary to be successful. If they love each other, they’re going to play hard, lift hard and study their game plan and they’re going to be ready when the time is ready for them to go.
    http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rou...28682e.html?33
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  13. #673
    Senior Member Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Davis County
    Posts
    5,769

    Default

    Here's a pretty good interview with Grimes from a guy in LA.

    http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rou...28682e.html?33

    An excerpt - just for Shaka and Sizzle to debate:

    I would say in terms of the play-calling stuff... I don’t want to minimize that responsibility at all because I recognize it’s a big deal and there are a lot of pressure calls made, but I’ve always believed a lot of the calls are made on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday throughout the week as you’re game-planning.

  14. #674
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Here is what Grimes himself said about play-calling vs. game planning:



    http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rou...28682e.html?33
    Ahem.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  15. #675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Here is what Grimes himself said about play-calling vs. game planning:



    http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rou...28682e.html?33
    Hmmm, I can't believe that guy agrees with me. Someone hide this from Surfah and Sizzle so they aren't triggered.

  16. #676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    Hmmm, I can't believe that guy agrees with me. Someone hide this from Surfah and Sizzle so they aren't triggered.
    So I'm not triggered? He's saying the same thing I was saying. Actually calling the plays on Saturday is overrated. That work is done in game prep.
    Last edited by Sizzle; 12-15-2017 at 12:03 PM.

  17. #677
    Senior Member Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Davis County
    Posts
    5,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Ahem.
    Well it wasn't there when I was typing. Creek just hit "post" before me...

  18. #678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle View Post
    So I'm not triggered? He's saying the same thing I was saying. Actually calling the plays on Saturday is overrated. That work is done in game prep.

    You really are dense. No wonder you're single.
    Actually you and Surfah were minimizing by calling play calling overrated. I stated you it's not overrated because game prep for a coordinator and calling plays on game day are really part of the same deal and that oftentimes the first fifteen or twenty plays are scripted during that prep. Essentially all that prep is to ensure that you don't crap the bed calling the plays on game day. Grimes didn't call that, "overrated". Grimes called it a, "Big Deal".

  19. #679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Well it wasn't there when I was typing. Creek just hit "post" before me...
    I think he's saying "my point exactly."

    Not "why did you post it twice."

  20. #680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    Actually you and Surfah were minimizing by calling play calling overrated. I stated you it's not overrated because game prep for a coordinator and calling plays on game day are really part of the same deal and that oftentimes the first fifteen or twenty plays are scripted during that prep. Essentially all that prep is to ensure that you don't crap the bed calling the plays on game day. Grimes didn't call that, "overrated". Grimes called it a, "Big Deal".
    No. This is what I said.

    But the prep work that goes into making those decisions Sunday through Friday is a hell of a lot more important than pulling the trigger on Saturday. Not saying it isn’t important. And some guys are better at it than others. But yeah, the game prep, the film work, the in game adjustments are things I’ve either seen first hand with Grimes at BYU or seen the results of teams he’s been on to feel like he will be just fine.
    This is what Grimes said:

    I would say in terms of the play-calling stuff... I don’t want to minimize that responsibility at all because I recognize it’s a big deal and there are a lot of pressure calls made, but I’ve always believed a lot of the calls are made on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday throughout the week as you’re game-planning.
    If that doesn't align, I don't know what does.

  21. #681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle View Post
    No. This is what I said.



    This is what Grimes said:



    If that doesn't align, I don't know what does.
    Go back and read my original post.

  22. #682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    Go back and read my original post.
    I'd prefer you first to explain how what I said and what Grimes said are different. Or, you can admit that he and I said the exact same thing. Either way.

  23. #683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle View Post
    I'd prefer you first to explain how what I said and what Grimes said are different. Or, you can admit that he and I said the exact same thing. Either way.
    You and I pretty much agree but you decided to carry the overrated torch for Surfah. For what reason I do not know. I'll unlump you with Surfah.

    Anyway, according to Grimes thinks it's a big deal. Overrated ≠ Big Deal

  24. #684
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    Actually you and Surfah were minimizing by calling play calling overrated. I stated you it's not overrated because game prep for a coordinator and calling plays on game day are really part of the same deal and that oftentimes the first fifteen or twenty plays are scripted during that prep. Essentially all that prep is to ensure that you don't crap the bed calling the plays on game day. Grimes didn't call that, "overrated". Grimes called it a, "Big Deal".
    Grimes just minimized play calling in that quote.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  25. #685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Grimes just minimized play calling in that quote.
    What he said and what I said in my original post are pretty much the same thing. I wrote that the coaches watched hours of film to came up with scripts for calling the initial plays and came up with contingencies for countering defenses. Grimes said the same thing in a different way.

    Of course the plays called on the field are an extension of game prep. Most of the time the plays are determined in game prep. They are an interconnected. You can do all the game prep in the world but if you can't hack the the pressure on game day you're screwed.

  26. #686
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    26,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    What he said and what I said in my original post are pretty much the same thing. I wrote that the coaches watched hours of film to came up with scripts for calling the initial plays and came up with contingencies for countering defenses. Grimes said the same thing in a different way.
    You guys are all actually saying pretty much the same thing.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  27. #687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    You guys are all actually saying pretty much the same thing.
    It's actually true. I just take exception to the word overrated. It's a description not based in reality.

  28. #688
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    You guys are all actually saying pretty much the same thing.
    It would help if Shaka knew the difference between game planning and play calling.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  29. #689
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    It's actually true. I just take exception to the word overrated. It's a description not based in reality.
    Why do you take exception to the truth?

    You sound like Hans yesterday throwing a wet blanket on the hire because he doesn't have play calling experience. It's so overrated. The fact that tooblue is your only torch bearer should give you pause.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  30. #690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Why do you take exception to the truth?

    You sound like Hans yesterday throwing a wet blanket on the hire because he doesn't have play calling experience. It's so overrated. The fact that tooblue is your only torch bearer should give you pause.
    This hire is my best case scenario. I simply stated that there will be those who will not like it because he's not an experienced coordinator. I am not one of them. I think he will do a fine job given the circumstances.

    Also you're wrong.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •