Fire Ty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    So we do you propose BYU do differently? We aren’t going to lure a good P5 OC for many reasons (not just money). We could possible get a G5 OC to come to BYU, but that’s even difficult given the constraints many see at BYU (cough, cough, honor code).

BYU decided to take a more calculated gamble and hire a guy that had a lot of P5 experience (just not as OC) and someone who has worked at BYU and knows the culture and limitations.

You’ll always have a risk in making any hire if you are a G5 or a run of the mill P5 school. Alabama and Ohio State can go hire sure fire coaches because they have the name and money to do it. BYU doesn’t and for that reason alone many people are praising this hire because it’s just about as good as BYU could do. Some may even say it’s better than what they thought BYU could do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tootle is just upset he didn't get an interview with his "coaching" background and all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
      tootle is just upset he didn't get an interview with his "coaching" background and all.
      Hey, I’ve coached over two dozens seasons of basketball, flag football, soccer and baseball (well, T-ball and coach pitch). So my qualifications are right up there with his. I should have gotten an interview. I considered applying just for fun.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        Hey, I’ve coached over two dozens seasons of basketball, flag football, soccer and baseball (well, T-ball and coach pitch). So my qualifications are right up there with his. I should have gotten an interview. I considered applying just for fun.

But did you actually make in game play calls or not?!

Comment

• We are such a weird fan base. We get some really great news on a hire no one thought was realistic after the worst season of our lives and half of us want to talk about how this could go bad. It's ok to be happy about some things. Maybe even optimistic!

Comment

You guys are awesome ... lol ... Sizzle shot video of practices, so like he knows knows, you know, and Moliere? he doesn't even watch games, but hey, if the best you can do is mock and make fun of someone who isn't buying your zoobness, that's cool, I get it. Let's see if I can get behind zoobiness to the max logic: Grimes is single-handedly going to save BYU football and deliver us to the promised land ... oh, and when is the lone peak three going to get us to the final four?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
              But did you actually make in game play calls or not?!
              Actually, I think he was just another American tourist in Paris and didn't actually watch any games, but I'm sure sizzle pointed a camera pressed a little red button, so, like, he knows man

Comment

• lol. tooblue hasn't changed.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                  You guys are awesome ... lol ... Sizzle shot video of practices, so like he knows knows, you know, and Moliere? he doesn't even watch games, but hey, if the best you can do is mock and make fun of someone who isn't buying your zoobness, that's cool, I get it. Let's see if I can get behind zoobiness to the max logic: Grimes is single-handedly going to save BYU football and deliver us to the promised land ... oh, and when is the lone peak three going to get us to the final four?

TB, it is part of the exegetical process.

Grimes may or may not succeed, but he has experience at the college level with successful programs, and his bosses have deemed him competent enough to continue to hire him. That should be a sign that he has the ability to do something right.

As others have shown game-planning is something the entire staff does, and actually play-calling is something of less value.

He brings a fresh start, he's not LDS, and we believe he can install some discipline. By all accounts he's also a good recruiter. Could we have hired the top college OC? No.

We have a right to be hopeful while acknowledging there is a risk. You take over as the Board Pessimist.
                  "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

As responsibilities of being the offensive coordinator, sure. But those components are definitely different skills, of which, play calling is more overrated than game preparation. Glad to see you've seen the light and agree.
                    Whatevs. I say potato and you say potahto. You enjoy being a contrarian. As for me I'll stick with reality. The ability to be an effective play caller in games is deeply affected by game prep. If you fail at either you're toast. They go hand in hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                      TB, it is part of the exegetical process.

Grimes may or may not succeed, but he has experience at the college level with successful programs, and his bosses have deemed him competent enough to continue to hire him. That should be a sign that he has the ability to do something right.

As others have shown game-planning is something the entire staff does, and actually play-calling is something of less value.

He brings a fresh start, he's not LDS, and we believe he can install some discipline. By all accounts he's also a good recruiter. Could we have hired the top college OC? No.

We have a right to be hopeful while acknowledging there is a risk. You take over as the Board Pessimist.
                      I'm hopeful, and on record as stating the hire was exciting for the exact reasons you cite above, I'm just not Lone Peak three hopeful ... I'm not a zoob.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                        I'm hopeful, and on record as stating the hire was exciting for the exact reasons you cite above, I'm just not Lone Peak three hopeful ... I'm not a zoob.
                        WTF are you talking about? I see no one on this board who believes that "Grimes is single-handedly going to save BYU football and deliver us to the promised land". Are we excited....hell YES! But I have yet to see a single poster say such a thing...except you. I'll be beside myself if we can somehow get to 6 wins next year. The Grimes hire gives me hope that we MIGHT get there. This is why we can't have nice things...we get something good and someone pisses all over it.

Good hell man, if Topper is telling you that you are too negative, you might want to reassess things. You accuse us of being "zoobs", but what is more zoob than complaining incessantly about something that is potentially good for us?

This is a great hire, if anything Funk is not happy. Take solace in that at least.

Comment

• Here is what Grimes himself said about play-calling vs. game planning:

What will your approach be as a play-caller and running an offense?

I would say in terms of the play-calling stuff... I don’t want to minimize that responsibility at all because I recognize it’s a big deal and there are a lot of pressure calls made, but I’ve always believed a lot of the calls are made on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday throughout the week as you’re game-planning.

I’ve been in a lot of situations where it’s fourth-and-1 and somebody says, ‘Hey, Grimey, what do you want here?’ That’s as big of a call as there is anywhere in the game. If I can make a call in that situation with a conference championship or national championship at stake, I feel like I can make any call. But I do know there will be greater responsibility and a different role in doing that full time. I think I’ll be the same guy I am right now, which is a guy that believes in developing the culture and mindset of the group first. My first order of business will be to develop an offense that’s tough, hard-working and completely committed to one another. I believe if you have guys that are passionate about the game then they’ll do all the things necessary to be successful. If they love each other, they’re going to play hard, lift hard and study their game plan and they’re going to be ready when the time is ready for them to go.
                          http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rou...28682e.html?33
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Here's a pretty good interview with Grimes from a guy in LA.

An excerpt - just for Shaka and Sizzle to debate:

I would say in terms of the play-calling stuff... I don’t want to minimize that responsibility at all because I recognize it’s a big deal and there are a lot of pressure calls made, but I’ve always believed a lot of the calls are made on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday throughout the week as you’re game-planning.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              Here is what Grimes himself said about play-calling vs. game planning:

Ahem.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                Here is what Grimes himself said about play-calling vs. game planning:

Hmmm, I can't believe that guy agrees with me. Someone hide this from Surfah and Sizzle so they aren't triggered.

Comment

Working...
                                X