Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Exactly.

Our offense is a disaster right now. Not just talent but horrible execution and play calling.
    There's certainly an argument for you and AA's line of thin king but there's an argument that lays the blame on Kalani too. This is a very undisciplined team and that is something that Kalani has allowed to happen. If Kalani is going to right this ship he needs to tack the other direction a bit.

Comment

Exactly.

Our offense is a disaster right now. Not just talent but horrible execution and play calling.
      It's actually a sincere question.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
        Are there any coaches that left Granite HS for USU that we could hire?
        Ha. WOW! POTD!!!! For those of you who don’t know he’s talking about legendary coach Lavell Edwards.

Comment

Yeah, maybe BYU can hire another former BYU QB for OC that has more coaching experience...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            Yeah, maybe BYU can hire another former BYU QB for OC that has more coaching experience...

There was a part of me that fantasized in 2015 that we could talk Detmer into being QB coach and OC-apprentice and get Steve Sarkesian to head up the O for a temporary, we-all-know-you're-just-here-to-dry-out period of two years before heading back out to coach for realsies again. I'm sure there's no way that was ever going to happen, but I hope someone at least made a phone call just in case.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
              There was a part of me that fantasized in 2015 that we could talk Detmer into being QB coach and OC-apprentice and get Steve Sarkesian to head up the O for a temporary, we-all-know-you're-just-here-to-dry-out period of two years before heading back out to coach for realsies again. I'm sure there's no way that was ever going to happen, but I hope someone at least made a phone call just in case.
              The Lord works in mysterious ways... Please let this happen.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                The Lord works in mysterious ways... Please let this happen.
                I don't think there is any chance the school will hire a guy who is none for being a drunk at USC AND a BYU grad. I just dont see it .
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  I don't think there is any chance the school will hire a guy who is none for being a drunk at USC AND a BYU grad. I just dont see it .
                  Even if he will work cheap?
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                    Fuck you guys. Disloyal pricks.
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      After the last couple of games and tonight’s blowout, he may be available!
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                        There's certainly an argument for you and AA's line of thin king but there's an argument that lays the blame on Kalani too. This is a very undisciplined team and that is something that Kalani has allowed to happen. If Kalani is going to right this ship he needs to tack the other direction a bit.
                        There is plenty of blame to go around! A disaster of this magnitude takes a team effort.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                          No it's not. Independence is a factor in our recruiting and scheduling woes.
                          I keep hearing this about recruiting.

Can you tell me which recruits BYU missed on because they weren't in the MWC?

That seems weird to me. I don't get it.

The scheduling part, I can understand. Not the recruiting.

Comment

There is plenty of blame to go around! A disaster of this magnitude takes a team effort.
                            I struggle to get my mind around how bad BYU became in such a short period. I have been outspoken about my opinions about both the internal challenges at the administration level and the external challenges resulting from the changing landscape. I think BYU admin can do more to make winning football a priority. However, even if they do there are limits to what I think BYU can reasonably accomplish given the external challenges.

Saying all that I struggle believing this current staff will make BYU the best it can be no matter what support the admin gives them and what the external situation is. There is a lot wrong with BYU right now that even with the injuries, non-inclusion in the BCS world etc that is to be blamed on the coaching staff. I agree with much of the recommendations I read about conference, read scheduling consistent with what BYU can reasonably be expected to compete, paying coaches more, offering salvation to Sark and whatever else is often mentioned. However, it is hard for me to believe this current coaching staff is even close to being average. I don't pretend to know why it is the way it is, but in my very simple book coaches are evaluated based upon wins and losses - specifically against competition that I believe has similar resources. The two losses to Utah State and ECU are so amazingly bad IMO that while I believe it makes sense to keep Sitake around for a 3rd year, just to make sure there is fair evidence, I have no hope he will still be the HC at BYU in 2019.
                            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post

I think the drop in recruiting has been a slow drip for a long time. There are many factors going into it that range from BYU not growing with the LDS Church since the early 80's to Utah becoming equal with BYU, about the time Crowton left, and then moving ahead of BYU when they went to the Pac-12. BYU is not what it once was to much of Mormonia, especially within the state of Utah and it is creeping in that direction without the State. I think there was hope that Kalani could help with reversing that given his Poly ethnicity and ties to that community. Perhaps I am a homer, but I think there was great evidence that that decision was bearing the hoped for fruit in the first 20 or so months after he was hired. However, there is evidence that things went south since then.

Despite the recruiting challenges, I think that recruiting is the least of the long term worries. Not that I think BYU will ever recruit again like it did in the early 80's but I think there are plenty of talented kids who will come if they believe the football experience will be worth it. I don't think BYU could recruit like Utah will over the next 10 years but I believe they could recruit like Boise State.

But the kids have got to be convinced good football is a priority at BYU. Right now my guess is many of the recruits might not believe that.
                              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                              -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post

Look, I don't have my pulse on the high school recruiting game like I used to. However, I still hear stuff. I'll tell you right now that for a lot of those kids playing for an independent BYU doesn't thrill a lot of potential recruits. Kids want the ability to play for something other than just exposure. Couple this with Utah's success as a P5 and USU's resurgence and you have a real problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X