2017-18 NBA season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
    That's what ruined the game? You mean three steps, plus a Euro-step...not being travelling wasn't enough? Or the 8 guys standing on one side of the key while they Iso on the other side for 23 seconds of the shot clock?

The last time Lebron fouled out of a game was 4/9/17...the lack of consistency is what has taken the fun from the game.

College is much much better.
    traveling has happened since the beginning of the NBA. so if traveling is your problem, you've never liked the NBA. as far as iso ball, there is more ball movement in the NBA now than ever before. I wouldn't expect you to know that because you don't watch the NBA.

as far as LeBron fouling out - once again, star calls have been happening forever.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      I don't think the Warriors are a lock to win it all, but obviously I wouldn't mind. Last night's first half was very intense and as balanced as one could hope for.

It's strange how many (esp. on CB) rip on KD and the Warriors for coming together, as if they had some duty to spurn each other for the good of the league. Their success will be relatively short-lived in the eternal NBA scheme. And unlike some great teams, the core elements of the Warriors were homegrown, which (at least for me) makes their current success all the more admirable. I assume there isn't an NBA fan out there who wouldn't want their own team to do what the W's have done, offensive though it may be to the others. Sadly, this too shall pass, but it's a lot of fun for now. Over the past few years, the missus has become a big fan and much more knowledgeable about the game. We've watched together all but a handful of games the past five years. Think she might be a fair weather fan, though. TBD
      I agree wholeheartedly with this post. We all wish our team's were as fortunate as the Warriors. If the jazz had drafted Curry, Thompson and Green and won a title with them and had a chance to get Durant, i'd be all over that. And I would absolutely love watching them dominate. really, nothing more fun than having a non-sports fan wife get excited about the success.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
        I thought I hated both but then I watch the game and realize I hate Houston a helluva lot more.
        this is the only reasonable position
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
          Nope. Terrible fit for what Lebron wants at this point in his career. Yes he plays a lot of iso ball, but with the ball in his hands. You think LBJ wants to stand and watch the beard dribble, shuffle, dribble, pull-up for a stepback 3, 30 time a game? No way. He wants to go play with younger (funner) players. Philly has to be the top contender. I don't know if they have the cap space, but the Pelicans would be a great fit too. Sadly, he will probably end up in LA with Paul George, and I can never root for him again .... expect when he is playing against GS or the Jazz.
          I didn't say it was going to be good fit -- LeBron thought it was a good idea to play with Dwyane Wade. They won two titles but the team was better off with only one of them on the floor at a given time -- that and Ray Allen hitting a miracle shot in 2013. It's hilarious how close LeBron is to only winning one title. None of the Finals he has lost have been particularly close, so it's not like he's only one or two plays away from more any more rings. Maybe an argument can be made about 2011.
          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            I don't think the Warriors are a lock to win it all, but obviously I wouldn't mind. Last night's first half was very intense and as balanced as one could hope for.

It's strange how many (esp. on CB) rip on KD and the Warriors for coming together, as if they had some duty to spurn each other for the good of the league. Their success will be relatively short-lived in the eternal NBA scheme. And unlike some great teams, the core elements of the Warriors were homegrown, which (at least for me) makes their current success all the more admirable. I assume there isn't an NBA fan out there who wouldn't want their own team to do what the W's have done, offensive though it may be to the others. Sadly, this too shall pass, but it's a lot of fun for now. Over the past few years, the missus has become a big fan and much more knowledgeable about the game. We've watched together all but a handful of games the past five years. Think she might be a fair weather fan, though. TBD
            Nothing wrong with what Durant or the Warriors did. It was a historical anomaly with the huge jump in the cap and Curry, Thompson, and Green all being on team friendly deals.

If people really want to blame someone, it isn't Durant and the Warriors that should be blamed, but the players union as a whole for rejecting cap smoothing (not that I blame them for rejecting it).
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

The Suns and Kings win the top two spots and the West just becomes more lopsided -- Ayton and Doncic both look amazing. The Suns' new coach, the Jazz former assistant, has coached Doncic before. But if you have Devin Booker and Josh Jackson -- guys that play the 2 and 3 -- do you still pick Doncic? I suppose what Boston has done this year with Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum, guys that basically play the same position, has been impressive and maybe the Suns just try to replicate it?

But then you have Philly who's also looked great with Embiid.
              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Ayton would worry me for today's NBA. I have my reservations about Doncic, but I think he's the guy they should and will take.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  Ayton would worry me for today's NBA. I have my reservations about Doncic, but I think he's the guy they should and will take.
                  I'm hearing that they're likely going to pick Ayton.

Sacramento would be intriguing with Fox and Doncic along with Hield shooting 3s.

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                    I'm hearing that they're likely going to pick Ayton.

Sacramento would be intriguing with Fox and Doncic along with Hield shooting 3s.
                    Do they trade Bogdan Bogdanovic? He's been a pretty decent rookie.

Also, someone has already updated Doncic's wiki page:

Luka Dončić (Slovene: [ˈlùːka ˈdòːntʃitʃ]; born February 28, 1999) is a Slovenian professional basketball player who plays for the Phoenix Suns of the National Basketball Association. He also represents the senior Slovenian national team. He is 2.03 m (6'8") tall, and 103 kg (228 lbs.) in weight.[1]
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luka_Don%C4%8Di%C4%87
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                      College doesn’t always equal pro game, I understand that well, that said Ayton is the most dominant big I’ve seen in person in college. He was unbelievable.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                        College doesn’t always equal pro game, I understand that well, that said Ayton is the most dominant big I’ve seen in person in college. He was unbelievable.
                        not saying you're wrong - in fact, I think chances are better i'm wrong, but was it Buffalo that threw that small ball lineup at him and completely took him out of the game on the defensive end, on the way to the upset in the NCAAs? He'll see a lot more of that in the NBA. That's my concern. Its just one game, he's still young - so many reasons a game like that could be irrelevant in terms of predicting NBA success, but it is one example of why i'd be worried if I were a GM picking #1.
                        Last edited by smokymountainrain; 05-18-2018, 08:15 AM.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

• I listen to a couple of NBA podcasts and can’t believe how much recency bias there is in what these NBA analysts say.

After Boston wins the first two at home these morans are saying the Cavs and Lebron have no chance. After GSW wins game 1 and then game 3 they are saying Houston has no chance and GSW can’t be stopped.

I mean look at the entire body of work over the season and you’ve gotta like the chances of Houston and even Cleveland over the depleted Celtics.

Comment

• That was a great game. I wrote off the Rockets both times when they were down double digits. But they took advantage of some pretty cold Warriors shooting. I....think I like the Rockets to win a close game 5? (can’t believe I’m saying that)
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                              I listen to a couple of NBA podcasts and can’t believe how much recency bias there is in what these NBA analysts say.

After Boston wins the first two at home these morans are saying the Cavs and Lebron have no chance. After GSW wins game 1 and then game 3 they are saying Houston has no chance and GSW can’t be stopped.

I mean look at the entire body of work over the season and you’ve gotta like the chances of Houston and even Cleveland over the depleted Celtics.
                              when GS is on, they really do look unbeatable and I'd still heavily favor them even with the series even. having said that, I do mostly agree with you about how media and fans overreact after one or two games. After LeBron scored 16 in game 1, I couldn't believe how many fans had decided Stevens had figured out how to stop LeBron - and all you have to do to stop LeBron is make him shoot jump shots - see, the Celtics did it. No, LeBron had a bad game, nothing more. LeBron is LeBron because you can't stop him - rather you pray he has a bad game.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                                when GS is on, they really do look unbeatable and I'd still heavily favor them even with the series even. having said that, I do mostly agree with you about how media and fans overreact after one or two games. After LeBron scored 16 in game 1, I couldn't believe how many fans had decided Stevens had figured out how to stop LeBron - and all you have to do to stop LeBron is make him shoot jump shots - see, the Celtics did it. No, LeBron had a bad game, nothing more. LeBron is LeBron because you can't stop him - rather you pray he has a bad game.
                                That asshole better beat the Celtics.
                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X