Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 229

Thread: 2017-18 NBA season

  1. #91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    That's what ruined the game? You mean three steps, plus a Euro-step...not being travelling wasn't enough? Or the 8 guys standing on one side of the key while they Iso on the other side for 23 seconds of the shot clock?

    The last time Lebron fouled out of a game was 4/9/17...the lack of consistency is what has taken the fun from the game.

    College is much much better.
    traveling has happened since the beginning of the NBA. so if traveling is your problem, you've never liked the NBA. as far as iso ball, there is more ball movement in the NBA now than ever before. I wouldn't expect you to know that because you don't watch the NBA.

    as far as LeBron fouling out - once again, star calls have been happening forever.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  2. #92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I don't think the Warriors are a lock to win it all, but obviously I wouldn't mind. Last night's first half was very intense and as balanced as one could hope for.

    It's strange how many (esp. on CB) rip on KD and the Warriors for coming together, as if they had some duty to spurn each other for the good of the league. Their success will be relatively short-lived in the eternal NBA scheme. And unlike some great teams, the core elements of the Warriors were homegrown, which (at least for me) makes their current success all the more admirable. I assume there isn't an NBA fan out there who wouldn't want their own team to do what the W's have done, offensive though it may be to the others. Sadly, this too shall pass, but it's a lot of fun for now. Over the past few years, the missus has become a big fan and much more knowledgeable about the game. We've watched together all but a handful of games the past five years. Think she might be a fair weather fan, though. TBD
    I agree wholeheartedly with this post. We all wish our team's were as fortunate as the Warriors. If the jazz had drafted Curry, Thompson and Green and won a title with them and had a chance to get Durant, i'd be all over that. And I would absolutely love watching them dominate. really, nothing more fun than having a non-sports fan wife get excited about the success.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  3. #93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    I thought I hated both but then I watch the game and realize I hate Houston a helluva lot more.
    this is the only reasonable position
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

  4. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Nope. Terrible fit for what Lebron wants at this point in his career. Yes he plays a lot of iso ball, but with the ball in his hands. You think LBJ wants to stand and watch the beard dribble, shuffle, dribble, pull-up for a stepback 3, 30 time a game? No way. He wants to go play with younger (funner) players. Philly has to be the top contender. I don't know if they have the cap space, but the Pelicans would be a great fit too. Sadly, he will probably end up in LA with Paul George, and I can never root for him again .... expect when he is playing against GS or the Jazz.
    I didn't say it was going to be good fit -- LeBron thought it was a good idea to play with Dwyane Wade. They won two titles but the team was better off with only one of them on the floor at a given time -- that and Ray Allen hitting a miracle shot in 2013. It's hilarious how close LeBron is to only winning one title. None of the Finals he has lost have been particularly close, so it's not like he's only one or two plays away from more any more rings. Maybe an argument can be made about 2011.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  5. #95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I don't think the Warriors are a lock to win it all, but obviously I wouldn't mind. Last night's first half was very intense and as balanced as one could hope for.

    It's strange how many (esp. on CB) rip on KD and the Warriors for coming together, as if they had some duty to spurn each other for the good of the league. Their success will be relatively short-lived in the eternal NBA scheme. And unlike some great teams, the core elements of the Warriors were homegrown, which (at least for me) makes their current success all the more admirable. I assume there isn't an NBA fan out there who wouldn't want their own team to do what the W's have done, offensive though it may be to the others. Sadly, this too shall pass, but it's a lot of fun for now. Over the past few years, the missus has become a big fan and much more knowledgeable about the game. We've watched together all but a handful of games the past five years. Think she might be a fair weather fan, though. TBD
    Nothing wrong with what Durant or the Warriors did. It was a historical anomaly with the huge jump in the cap and Curry, Thompson, and Green all being on team friendly deals.

    If people really want to blame someone, it isn't Durant and the Warriors that should be blamed, but the players union as a whole for rejecting cap smoothing (not that I blame them for rejecting it).
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  6. #96

    Default

    The Suns and Kings win the top two spots and the West just becomes more lopsided -- Ayton and Doncic both look amazing. The Suns' new coach, the Jazz former assistant, has coached Doncic before. But if you have Devin Booker and Josh Jackson -- guys that play the 2 and 3 -- do you still pick Doncic? I suppose what Boston has done this year with Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum, guys that basically play the same position, has been impressive and maybe the Suns just try to replicate it?

    But then you have Philly who's also looked great with Embiid.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  7. #97

    Default

    Ayton would worry me for today's NBA. I have my reservations about Doncic, but I think he's the guy they should and will take.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  8. #98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    Ayton would worry me for today's NBA. I have my reservations about Doncic, but I think he's the guy they should and will take.
    I'm hearing that they're likely going to pick Ayton.

    Sacramento would be intriguing with Fox and Doncic along with Hield shooting 3s.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  9. #99
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    27,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    I'm hearing that they're likely going to pick Ayton.

    Sacramento would be intriguing with Fox and Doncic along with Hield shooting 3s.
    Do they trade Bogdan Bogdanovic? He's been a pretty decent rookie.

    Also, someone has already updated Doncic's wiki page:

    Luka Dončić (Slovene: [ˈlùːka ˈdòːntʃitʃ]; born February 28, 1999) is a Slovenian professional basketball player who plays for the Phoenix Suns of the National Basketball Association. He also represents the senior Slovenian national team. He is 2.03 m (6'8") tall, and 103 kg (228 lbs.) in weight.[1]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luka_Don%C4%8Di%C4%87
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  10. #100
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    Ayton would worry me for today's NBA. I have my reservations about Doncic, but I think he's the guy they should and will take.
    College doesn’t always equal pro game, I understand that well, that said Ayton is the most dominant big I’ve seen in person in college. He was unbelievable.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  11. #101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    College doesn’t always equal pro game, I understand that well, that said Ayton is the most dominant big I’ve seen in person in college. He was unbelievable.
    not saying you're wrong - in fact, I think chances are better i'm wrong, but was it Buffalo that threw that small ball lineup at him and completely took him out of the game on the defensive end, on the way to the upset in the NCAAs? He'll see a lot more of that in the NBA. That's my concern. Its just one game, he's still young - so many reasons a game like that could be irrelevant in terms of predicting NBA success, but it is one example of why i'd be worried if I were a GM picking #1.
    Last edited by smokymountainrain; 05-18-2018 at 08:15 AM.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  12. #102
    вот так штука CardiacCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The SLC
    Posts
    10,112

    Default

    I listen to a couple of NBA podcasts and can’t believe how much recency bias there is in what these NBA analysts say.

    After Boston wins the first two at home these morans are saying the Cavs and Lebron have no chance. After GSW wins game 1 and then game 3 they are saying Houston has no chance and GSW can’t be stopped.

    I mean look at the entire body of work over the season and you’ve gotta like the chances of Houston and even Cleveland over the depleted Celtics.

  13. #103

    Default

    That was a great game. I wrote off the Rockets both times when they were down double digits. But they took advantage of some pretty cold Warriors shooting. I....think I like the Rockets to win a close game 5? (can’t believe I’m saying that)

  14. #104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    I listen to a couple of NBA podcasts and can’t believe how much recency bias there is in what these NBA analysts say.

    After Boston wins the first two at home these morans are saying the Cavs and Lebron have no chance. After GSW wins game 1 and then game 3 they are saying Houston has no chance and GSW can’t be stopped.

    I mean look at the entire body of work over the season and you’ve gotta like the chances of Houston and even Cleveland over the depleted Celtics.
    when GS is on, they really do look unbeatable and I'd still heavily favor them even with the series even. having said that, I do mostly agree with you about how media and fans overreact after one or two games. After LeBron scored 16 in game 1, I couldn't believe how many fans had decided Stevens had figured out how to stop LeBron - and all you have to do to stop LeBron is make him shoot jump shots - see, the Celtics did it. No, LeBron had a bad game, nothing more. LeBron is LeBron because you can't stop him - rather you pray he has a bad game.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  15. #105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    when GS is on, they really do look unbeatable and I'd still heavily favor them even with the series even. having said that, I do mostly agree with you about how media and fans overreact after one or two games. After LeBron scored 16 in game 1, I couldn't believe how many fans had decided Stevens had figured out how to stop LeBron - and all you have to do to stop LeBron is make him shoot jump shots - see, the Celtics did it. No, LeBron had a bad game, nothing more. LeBron is LeBron because you can't stop him - rather you pray he has a bad game.
    That asshole better beat the Celtics.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  16. #106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    That asshole better beat the Celtics.
    a point we can both agree on.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  17. #107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    a point we can both agree on.
    I'm so glad that we both agree that LeBron James is an asshole and that the Celtics are evil and need to be destroyed.

    Can we also agree that Boston has the most racist fans?
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  18. #108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    I'm so glad that we both agree that LeBron James is an asshole and that the Celtics are evil and need to be destroyed.

    Can we also agree that Boston has the most racist fans?
    i'm fine to admit LeBron is an asshole. as are most athletes and about 99% of those who participate on this website.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  19. #109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    i'm fine to admit LeBron is an asshole. as are most athletes and about 99% of those who participate on this website.
    For once, I'm in the 1%.

  20. #110
    вот так штука CardiacCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The SLC
    Posts
    10,112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    i'm fine to admit LeBron is an asshole. as are most athletes and about 99% of those who participate on this website.
    I’m sorry but it’s obvious from how he plays that Lebron is a good person and not an asshole.

    Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant are the assholes who would never pass in the final seconds of a game no matter how open their teammates were.

  21. #111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    I’m sorry but it’s obvious from how he plays that Lebron is a good person and not an asshole.

    Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant are the assholes who would never pass in the final seconds of a game no matter how open their teammates were.
    Steve Kerr disagrees with your assessment of Michael Jordan. I seem to remember that asshole passing to the other asshole for a wide open shot.

    Also, why in the hell did that Cleveland asshole lose the game last night?
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  22. #112
    вот так штука CardiacCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The SLC
    Posts
    10,112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Steve Kerr disagrees with your assessment of Michael Jordan. I seem to remember that asshole passing to the other asshole for a wide open shot.

    Also, why in the hell did that Cleveland asshole lose the game last night?
    Everybody remembers that pass to Steve Kerr because it was such an anomaly.

  23. #113
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    27,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Steve Kerr disagrees with your assessment of Michael Jordan. I seem to remember that asshole passing to the other asshole for a wide open shot.

    Also, why in the hell did that Cleveland asshole lose the game last night?
    Because sometimes even the best players have off nights?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  24. #114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Because sometimes even the best players have off nights?
    sorry to nitpick, (he had 26, 10 and 5 on 50% FGs - I guess for him that is technically an off night, just not the reason they lost) but the reason is that supporting cast about as bad as any group in the NBA and they outdid even themselves last night.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  25. #115
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Holy Land
    Posts
    14,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    For once, I'm in the 1%.
    moi aussi
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  26. #116

    Default

    Wow. I’m Nostradamus.

  27. #117
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    9,413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Wow. I’m Nostradamus.
    When does the board name change take effect?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  28. #118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    When does the board name change take effect?
    When I string 2 correct predictions in a row.
    GS wins in a blowout next game!

  29. #119
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    i'm fine to admit LeBron is an asshole. as are most athletes and about 99% of those who participate on this website.
    SMR, why do you hate people so much?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  30. #120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    SMR, why do you hate people so much?
    Probably because he's a white male who feels his privilege slipping away.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •