Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religious Right, heal thyself

The religious right carries its golden calf into Steve Bannon’s battles

Do religious right leaders have any clue how foolish they appear? Rather than confidently and persistently representing a set of distinctive beliefs, they pant and beg to be a part of someone else’s movement. In this case, it is a movement that takes advantage of racial and ethnic divisions and dehumanizes Muslims, migrants and refugees. A movement that has cultivated ties to alt-right leaders and flirted with white identity politics. A movement that will eventually soil and discredit all who are associated with it.

The religious right is making itself a pitiful appendage to this squalid agenda. If Christian conservatives are loyal enough, Bannon promises that they can be “the folks who saved the Judeo-Christian West.” All that is required is to abandon the best of the Judeo-Christian tradition: a belief in the inherent value and dignity of every life.

. . . . . . .

Who would now identify conservative Christian political engagement with the pursuit of the common good? Rather, the religious right is an interest group seeking preference and advancement from a strongman — and rewarding him with loyal acceptance of his priorities. The prophets have become clients. The priests have become acolytes.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

I agree with the religious right on a lot of things. I think like most religion's the leaders are really more extreme than the bulk of their followers. At least I hope so.

Comment

Roy Moore has plenty of religious right backers, including Falwell.

Conservatives defend Roy Moore — invoking Joseph, Mary and the Ten Commandments

“It comes down to a question who is more credible in the eyes of the voters — the candidate or the accuser,” said Jerry Falwell Jr., the president of evangelical Liberty University who has endorsed Trump and Moore, both Republicans.

“The same thing happened to President Trump a few weeks before his election last year except it was several women making allegations,” Falwell told RNS in an email. “He denied that any of them were true and the American people believed him and elected him the 45th president of the United States.”

In a follow-up email, Falwell noted Moore’s denial of the allegations, saying: “And I believe the judge is telling the truth.”

According to The Washington Post, Moore allegedly molested a 14-year-old girl when he was a 32-year-old assistant district attorney in 1979. The report said he offered to watch her while her mother was in a child custody hearing, then brought the girl to his home on two occasions, kissing, groping and partially undressing her.

He also reportedly pursued relationships with several other teenage girls as a much-older adult.
      http://religionnews.com/2017/11/10/c...-commandments/

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
        Roy Moore has plenty of religious right backers, including Falwell.

Conservatives defend Roy Moore — invoking Joseph, Mary and the Ten Commandments

http://religionnews.com/2017/11/10/c...-commandments/
        Yeah, I don't know what people see in this guy... They should all just vote for the libertarian.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Religious Right, heal thyself

Looks like Falwell Jr. may finally be over:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/s...291506689?s=21

Apparently he called into a radio show drunk too, but who knows if that is real:

https://twitter.com/bettybowers/stat...647561736?s=21
          Last edited by UVACoug; 08-07-2020, 04:58 PM.

Comment

I talked to my wife about this the other day. Dude is a piece of crap.
            "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Definitely a piece of crap. That phone call was weird, but the photo that led to the call was even weirder.

Certainly explains his avid support for djt.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                Looks like Falwell Jr. may finally be over:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/s...291506689?s=21

Apparently he called into a radio show drunk too, but who knows if that is real:

https://twitter.com/bettybowers/stat...647561736?s=21
                That's real. It was the local Lynchburg station

Comment

I do not love Trump. I think Trump is good for America as a country. I think Trump is going to restore our freedoms, where we spent eight years, if not more, with our freedoms slowly being taken away under the guise of giving freedoms to all,” she said. “Caucasian-Americans are becoming a minority. Rapidl
                  Culture wars are about all evangelical America have left.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/09/u...istianity.html
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                    Culture wars are about all evangelical America have left.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/09/u...istianity.html
                    I think you are forgetting that Evangelicals uncritically support Israel so that Jews can be gathered in one place to be destroyed as part of the Second Coming.
                    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Comment

Comment

who could have ever guessed that jerry falwell jr would be a greasy piece of shit? too bad he's so hard to root against
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

It's done . . . . maybe.

Totally throwing his wife under the bus.

Jerry Falwell Jr. confirms he has resigned as head of Liberty University

“I’ve accomplished all I can accomplish and I want to move on," Falwell said. "I was starting to get bored.”

. . . . . .

He said a board member was pressuring him to resign earlier Monday, but he wanted more time to decide -- and to avoid giving credibility to a report by Reuters that day that described him watching his wife have sex with another. He called that story “90 percent false.”

Comment

LDS is not part of the religious right?
                              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
                              X