Recombining wards made our ward large

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recombining wards made our ward large

A few years ago they made two wards in three. Next town over brought some people over. Older people didn,t like it. Others on Lords errand. One family switched houses with women not of faith so they are in our Ward. So they came to our ward. Lived in our town before. Kids went to school here, then there, but came back our way. Before Ward split. And daughter sent girls team to state championship.

Next town over bedroom community when economy bad. Economy good losing people so sent people over there. Few family with kids though. Now our ward is good sized. Don,t know if next sp will have same problems. Urban areas I am sure boundary realignment split and combines happen right and left. I grew up in area were Ward boundaries were not defined and people chose wards and passed each other on way to church. Pretty strict now on Ward boundaries.

I have daughters in Las Vegas and in the Fresno/Clovis area. They get regular boundary changes.

We went through one in Folsom a couple of years after moving there. Our ward had over 500 members with nearly 350 active, so it was a tight fit in the chapel. When they announced a boundary realignment and that there would be a new ward, we figured there was at least a 95% chance we would be in the new one, based on where the old boundaries were at. And we were. It turns out that they took the best people from two other wards to make the new one and we had a great ward right from the start. I still miss that ward. The only thing we didn't get was musical talent.

The ward my mom lived in in Salt Lake had had the same boundary forever - like from the late 50's. People went out of their way to buy houses in that ward. Then the other ward that shared the same building got a bit weak, so they moved the boundary about ten years ago. Instead of the boundary going down the center of the road on the north end, anybody living on that road got moved to the other ward. There were a lot of unhappy people with that change.

All I can say is - ward boundaries change. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
      I have daughters in Las Vegas and in the Fresno/Clovis area. They get regular boundary changes.

We went through one in Folsom a couple of years after moving there. Our ward had over 500 members with nearly 350 active, so it was a tight fit in the chapel. When they announced a boundary realignment and that there would be a new ward, we figured there was at least a 95% chance we would be in the new one, based on where the old boundaries were at. And we were. It turns out that they took the best people from two other wards to make the new one and we had a great ward right from the start. I still miss that ward. The only thing we didn't get was musical talent.

The ward my mom lived in in Salt Lake had had the same boundary forever - like from the late 50's. People went out of their way to buy houses in that ward. Then the other ward that shared the same building got a bit weak, so they moved the boundary about ten years ago. Instead of the boundary going down the center of the road on the north end, anybody living on that road got moved to the other ward. There were a lot of unhappy people with that change.

All I can say is - ward boundaries change. Deal with it.
      Would it be fair to say that no other ward you've been in has been nearly as good as that one?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        Would it be fair to say that no other ward you've been in has been nearly as good as that one?
        I've been in other wards that were nearly as good. The one I'm in now was quite good at one time, but has declined a bit over the years. People move in and people move out and the current one has had more move out than in. Especially the older ones after retirement. And I'll be doing the very same thing next year, leaving few retired couples.

A really good ward has people to fill all of the callings and do a decent job in those callings. It has all of the age ranges (although that one in Folsom was a bit noisy with lots of little kids). And the members are willing to help out with things like church cleaning and various community volunteer opportunities.

I know that there are many good wards in many different places, but there are others that ask a bit more of the active members because there are fewer willing to participate. I visit quite a few different wards as I travel around and some just feel a lot more welcoming to visitors than others.

Comment

Just went through it again last night. Our ward with over 500 members that we've been in for three years is now two wards. They took a few families from the ward north of us to add to the updated ward with the old name and I'm now in a totally new ward that is the south half of the old one.

That means that the new bishop and new counselors get to hustle for a few weeks calling everybody to new positions. The old primary had about 130 kids in it with some age groups having three classes. The smaller primary will be much easier to manage. My wife was a counselor in the primary, so I was always hearing about it. The primary president is moving to another state anyway, so we knew that the primary had to change soon.

Unlike last time I was in a new ward, nobody in this new one is coming from some other ward, so it will be all familiar faces. Not that everybody knows everybody else in a ward that big, but it will be easier to learn who people are now. So far six people have callings: the three in the bishopric, the ward clerk, executive secretary, and elders quorum president.

I'll be waiting for the call this week and will be trying real hard to be willing to accept whatever calling they come up with. Meanwhile, I will enjoy the short time with no calling.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
            Just went through it again last night. Our ward with over 500 members that we've been in for three years is now two wards. They took a few families from the ward north of us to add to the updated ward with the old name and I'm now in a totally new ward that is the south half of the old one.

That means that the new bishop and new counselors get to hustle for a few weeks calling everybody to new positions. The old primary had about 130 kids in it with some age groups having three classes. The smaller primary will be much easier to manage. My wife was a counselor in the primary, so I was always hearing about it. The primary president is moving to another state anyway, so we knew that the primary had to change soon.

Unlike last time I was in a new ward, nobody in this new one is coming from some other ward, so it will be all familiar faces. Not that everybody knows everybody else in a ward that big, but it will be easier to learn who people are now. So far six people have callings: the three in the bishopric, the ward clerk, executive secretary, and elders quorum president.

I'll be waiting for the call this week and will be trying real hard to be willing to accept whatever calling they come up with. Meanwhile, I will enjoy the short time with no calling.
            Ah yes, the time with no calling. Such a sweet period of life.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post

Ah yes, the time with no calling. Such a sweet period of life.
              Past 18 months for me unofficially
              “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Copelius View Post

Past 18 months for me unofficially
                Is The Choir practicing and/or performing?

Comment

Hoping for conference but no guarantees. Re-orientation is this week and then we'll see how the numbers look when they want to do the pre-conference rehearsals.
                  “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

We combined wards with another declining ward in our stake two years ago. Now - the average attendance is less than it was with either ward prior to consolidation.

Jesus better come fast - or there's going to be nothing left in 50 years to come back to.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                      Jesus better come fast - or there's going to be nothing left in 50 years to come back to.
                      Also, if they keep calling targeting in this louisville/Ole Miss game there will no one left to play the game.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Our ward is splitting soon. So is our stake.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Been nice knowing you. I'll be dead by the time you're released and done being a mission president. That's a 13 year commitment.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                            We combined wards with another declining ward in our stake two years ago. Now - the average attendance is less than it was with either ward prior to consolidation.

I have been hoping for a ward consolidation for 3 years now, as families keep moving out with noone to replace them. Sacrament attendance went from 180 to 90ish in person (another 15 or so online). Our primary is down to 2 classes, and our YM program is like 5 kids now.

Meanwhile, they just made a new ward in our stake with every member of the new ward being a member of the same HOA.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Our ward should be split given we have about 600 members in the records... of course, only about 200 show up and that was even before the covid.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X