Hollywood, heal thyself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
    This. I've always wondered how socially liberal people could be so in love with the Clinton's when he was clearly guilty of sexual harassment, and she not only defended him, but tried to destroy the reputation of his victim. Consensual or not, their respective ages and power positions would likely have gotten him fired and sued had he led any Fortune 500 company.
    Do you believe Bush would have been lot off so easily? Clinton was a sexual predator, but maybe times have changed.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
      No, I'm not commenting on Lewinsky's tweet in that way. I'm just suggesting that not all of the #MeToo stories are equal, or even sexual harassment.
      Gotcha

Originally posted by Topper View Post
      Do you believe Bush would have been lot off so easily? Clinton was a sexual predator, but maybe times have changed.
      Yes, I think so. The religious right would have forgiven him. The libs would have condemned him. Same song, different verse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I’m not sure what impeaching a president is letting him off easy. What he did has awful but the outrage conjured up be ppl like Newt (who has having his own affairs at the time) was a bit hypocritical.

We also have another sexual predator in the White House now.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
          I’m not sure what impeaching a president is letting him off easy.
          How many dems voted to impeach?
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
            I’m not sure what impeaching a president is letting him off easy. What he did has awful but the outrage conjured up be ppl like Newt (who has having his own affairs at the time) was a bit hypocritical.

We also have another sexual predator in the White House now.
            He is still the darling of the Democratic Party.

Bill Cosby and now Harvey Weinstein are nobody's darling. Clinton got off easy. He became a hectamillionaire, is on the lecture circuit and is beloved by Democrats, and probably some GOP voters. Clinton got off easy in comparison to Coz or Weinstein.

The jury is still out on 45 to see if he gets off easy or not as his story is not finished yet. Moliere is probably correct though, the religious right may have forgiven Bush, and the libs would have condemned him.

And I am not defending 45, but has he done so while he is in the White House?

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I feel for those that have been posting the #metoo stuff. I'm shocked by the sheer volume of it on Facebook in fact.

I believe part of it is excruciatingly true. I believe part of it is bandwagoning. I believe part of it is "look at me".

But I'm a white male....so it doesn't matter!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                I feel for those that have been posting the #metoo stuff. I'm shocked by the sheer volume of it on Facebook in fact.

I believe part of it is excruciatingly true. I believe part of it is bandwagoning. I believe part of it is "look at me".

I know it happens, because several women close to me have confided with me over time, but I am unaware of its pervasiveness. Like you Tick, being a white male who doesn't witness it, it is difficult to assess or evaluate. It's probably because as one just dives into work with almost no personal social life, you simply don't encounter that many people. But who are these guys grabbing women or making unwanted comments? When is all this occurring?

There are no easy fixes for this. One could use draconian measures such as criminalizing romantic fraternization in the workplace, but that is unlikely to be adopted.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post

Ha! I agree with you on all of this. I’ve seen one friend mention that she gets weekly IG dms consisting of nothing but male genitalia. It’s her business account so RS not private (sole proprietorship) and she’s an attractive lady. My sister posted a #metoo as well.

As a cisgender white male, I wouldn’t even dare post a response in support of any of them, but it’s been a good movement to point out a problem in society. I’ll also note that I’m glad I went through the flirting/dating phase before social media and viral stuff like this.

I will add that within running circles, it seems that thins are even worse. I’m sure it has to do with typical exercise gear, which is by design minimal (thus revealing) but the number g catcalls and sexually explicit comments women runners endure is alarming. Thankfully I usually run at 5am when no one else is out so I avoid any catcalls that would otherwise come my way...

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Nibnb m binninbn
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      I’ll also note that I’m glad I went through the flirting/dating phase before social media and viral stuff like this.

Hard to mass-disseminate those Polaroids, amirite?
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        I will add that within running circles, it seems that thins are even worse. I’m sure it has to do with typical exercise gear, which is by design minimal (thus revealing) but the number g catcalls and sexually explicit comments women runners endure is alarming. Thankfully I usually run at 5am when no one else is out so I avoid any catcalls that would otherwise come my way...

Dating may be very difficult given the rules of engagement are so blurred and constantly changing. I remember a poster one lady had posted at her work, jokingly so, "sexual harassment, it's one of the perks of this place." Wager that placard is long gone.

If they truly wanted to eliminate it occurring, one would criminalize workplace fraternization, and even one wanted to really change society, make any flirtation unwanted hate speech, because of its potential for sexual harassment. Of course, that is absurd, draconian and not likely endorsed by anybody except the true crusaders. Nonetheless, the harassment women apparently suffer amazes me because I would have thought men would have awakened after the Anita Hill incident.

Comment

This may have already been posted. I didn't see it. The sheer volume (of those willing to come forward) of Weinstein accusers is shocking.

http://digg.com/2017/harvey-weinstein-allegations

A few examples:
                          Originally posted by Lysette Anthony
                          He pushed me inside and rammed me up against the coat rack in my tiny hall and started fumbling at my gown. He was trying to kiss me and shove inside me... Finally I just gave up. At least I was able to stop him kissing me. As he ground himself against me, I kept my eyes shut tight, held my breath, just let him get on with it. He came over my leg like a dog and then left.
                          Originally posted by Vu Thu Phuong
                          Everything suddenly turned dark when I saw Mr. Harvey Weinstein standing before me with only a towel around his waist, smiling." He asked her if she was ready to star in a few sex scenes... "I can teach you, don’t worry. Many stars have also been through this," Weinstein reassured Phuong... “Just treat this as necessary experiences so that you’ll have a stronger foundation in the future.
                          Originally posted by Sophie Dix
                          Once in the hotel room, "all the alarm bells starting ringing" and "within a heartbeat" she found herself pushed on the bed with him "tugging at her clothes." The young actor, who was 22 at the time, says that she managed to bolt to the bathroom and after some time in hiding opted to make an escape. She opened the door and found him facing her "standing there masturbating.
                          Originally posted by Rosana Arquette
                          Weinstein opened the door wearing a white bathrobe. Weinstein said that his neck was sore and that he needed a massage. She told him that she could recommend a good masseuse. “Then he grabbed my hand,” she said. He put it on his neck. When she yanked her hand away... Weinstein grabbed it again and pulled it toward his penis, which was visible and erect...

Weinstein told her that she was making a huge mistake by rejecting him

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                            This may have already been posted. I didn't see it. The sheer volume (of those willing to come forward) of Weinstein accusers is shocking.

http://digg.com/2017/harvey-weinstein-allegations

A few examples:
                            It surprises me that he got away with it for so long with so many victims.

Comment

It surprises me that he got away with it for so long with so many victims.
                              The number is staggering. Truly disgusting.
                              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                                Nibnb m binninbn
                                Break off the attack! The shield is still up!!

Pull up! All craft pull up!!!
                                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Working...
                                X