Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hollywood, heal thyself

the who took a picture with who game is an uncle ted fav
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Oh my.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

This Weinstein thing has to be the tip of the iceberg. Hollywood moguls taking advantage of women sexually in exchange for parts has to be the least surprising thing ever.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    This Weinstein thing has to be the tip of the iceberg. Hollywood moguls taking advantage of women sexually in exchange for parts has to be the least surprising thing ever.
    You mean casting couch jokes are based on stuff that actually happens?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Please refrain from referencing Weinstein's tip. TIA.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

#MeToo....?

Above the Law has an occasional feature in which they share anonymously contributed anecdotes of sexual harrassment in the legal profession. Some are legitimately horrible, while others are.... borderline. Here are some of the borderline ones.

I have been asked out in court by adversaries and when I commented that it was inappropriate, one fellow said that he was unaware there were geographical boundaries on asking women out on dates.
    Sorry you got asked out on a date, but I'm not sure that is sexual harassment.

I worked for a now-international employment law boutique. When I made partner there, I was so proud. It was the culmination of years of hard work and capped my prior accomplishments such as becoming a National Merit Scholar and making Law Review.

I could not have been more excited about my first partners’ meeting at the firm. We gathered in an old southern city and participated in meetings ranging from inspiring to deadly dull. The evening was to be an opportunity to socialize with one’s fellow partners, laying the groundwork for referring work to each other for years to come (such referrals being key to law firm survival). You might imagine my surprise upon finding that a large number of my fellow partners would be spending the evening at a strip club. So, I could go to the strip club or lose an opportunity to have my fellow partners know me. Of course, I went to the strip club that night.
    So, after work, some of your colleagues wanted to go to a strip club, and you chose to follow along because you thought it might help your career. Not sure whether the firm picked up the tab, but still, this seems borderline.

As a third-year lawyer (27-year-old), I was deposing the female plaintiff in a sexual harassment case. Her attorney was a good ol’ Southern boy from a small town who felt the need to constantly remind me of his decades of experience. At one point, opposing counsel got mad that I was being aggressive with his client and told me to “chill out, baby.” I managed to not take a swing at him, but instead reminded him that this was a sexual harassment case where that kind of language was at issue, and if he felt comfortable using it with opposing counsel, it couldn’t possibly be that extreme and outrageous. I also reminded him that I had a name he could use, just as his wife/mother/daughter does.

I’m a 3L at a T14 school and I’m good-looking (I did a lot of modeling before law school and I still do some on the side to help pay tuition fees). I get a lot of attention from my male classmates and it has always annoyed and bothered me, but until this incident, it was always in a respectful and non-harassing manner.

A few days ago, I got a Facebook friend request from a guy I didn’t know, but I saw that he was a student of the same law school I go to and that we had a few friends in common (all students of our law school), so I figured it was maybe someone in one of my classes who I had simply not noticed. I accepted him as a friend and he immediately came to talk to me. He was very forthcoming, and immediately ask me out for a drink in big city next to our law school.

I politely replied that I had absolutely no idea who he was and that I was not interested in going out for a drink with him. He did not accept no for an answer and kept insisting, telling me things such as, “If you never try, you’ll never know.” I politely declined one more time and specified again that I had never even noticed him in the law school building and that I was not interested in grabbing a drink. He kept insisting. I was busy writing a paper and had a lot to do, so just to get rid of him, I told him I was seeing someone at the moment (it is true that I am seeing someone, but I usually prefer to decline only by stating “I am not interested,” but “I am not interested” clearly was not working with him and I was out of time and patience). He then responded to me that he accepted this “good excuse,” and that he wouldn’t ask again. I was shocked. I replied to him, “Good excuse? Just so we’re clear, you do realize that a woman is allowed to say no, even if she is 100% single?” He didn’t reply to this accusation; he just mentioned he was “very respectful” and “sorry if he annoyed me.”
    ehhhh......

This last one is certainly horrific. That is, if its true. Seems a little too on the nose to me.

I am a paralegal in an Am Law 200 firm in the south. I am of Hispanic descent. My colleagues and I regularly face unwanted sexual remarks made by associates and sometimes partners, but they’re usually said in hushed tones, either behind our backs, or sometimes as they walk away from our desks. Despite their attempts to remain quiet, we’ve always caught bits and pieces of the foul things they’ve said about us. So-and-so is a piece of ass. You’d like so-and-so as your side piece. You bet so-and-so sucks a mean dick. You want to get so-and-so in your office and fuck her good. So-and-so won’t be able to say no if she wants to keep her job.

Thankfully, these comments were never made directly to our faces. We thought they knew better.

In the days since Trump has been elected, the situation has become almost unbearable. These vile, highly sexual comments that were once whispered are now spoken in full voice. Associates had always allowed their hands to brush against us, if briefly, but never like this. Some of us, myself included, have been touched inappropriately.

Yesterday, an associate took his opportunity as I bent over to retrieve a binder, his hand cupping my rear, his fingers dipping lower in an attempt to touch my most intimate areas. Sensing one of my colleagues approaching, he pulled away, grunting, “Next time, I’ll grab you by the pussy, beaner.”
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

i would bet the farm the last one never happened
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Wow, lawyers are real pieces of work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

I’m unsure what’s Lewinski’s tweet has to do with your quoted comments.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I’m unsure what’s Lewinski’s tweet has to do with your quoted comments.
    It's the #metoo hashtag that connected the two stories.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    It's the #metoo hashtag that connected the two stories.
    Wait. Do you think Lewinsky’s #metoo is unfounded? I’d think given the power structure between the president of the USA and an intern, she has a pretty solid case of sexual harassment.

Wait. Do you think Lewinsky’s #metoo is unfounded? I’d think given the power structure between the president of the USA and an intern, she has a pretty solid case of sexual harassment.

No, I'm not commenting on Lewinsky's tweet in that way. I'm just suggesting that not all of the #MeToo stories are equal, or even sexual harassment.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

This. I've always wondered how socially liberal people could be so in love with the Clinton's when he was clearly guilty of sexual harassment, and she not only defended him, but tried to destroy the reputation of his victim. Consensual or not, their respective ages and power positions would likely have gotten him fired and sued had he led any Fortune 500 company.

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    This. I've always wondered how socially liberal people could be so in love with the Clinton's when he was clearly guilty of sexual harassment, and she not only defended him, but tried to destroy the reputation of his victim. Consensual or not, their respective ages and power positions would likely have gotten him fired and sued had he led any Fortune 500 company.
    Do you believe Bush would have been lot off so easily? Clinton was a sexual predator, but maybe times have changed.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

No, I'm not commenting on Lewinsky's tweet in that way. I'm just suggesting that not all of the #MeToo stories are equal, or even sexual harassment.
    Gotcha

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Do you believe Bush would have been lot off so easily? Clinton was a sexual predator, but maybe times have changed.
    Yes, I think so. The religious right would have forgiven him. The libs would have condemned him. Same song, different verse.

I’m not sure what impeaching a president is letting him off easy. What he did has awful but the outrage conjured up be ppl like Newt (who has having his own affairs at the time) was a bit hypocritical.

We also have another sexual predator in the White House now.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    I’m not sure what impeaching a president is letting him off easy.
    How many dems voted to impeach?
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    I’m not sure what impeaching a president is letting him off easy. What he did has awful but the outrage conjured up be ppl like Newt (who has having his own affairs at the time) was a bit hypocritical.

We also have another sexual predator in the White House now.
    He is still the darling of the Democratic Party.

Bill Cosby and now Harvey Weinstein are nobody's darling. Clinton got off easy. He became a hectamillionaire, is on the lecture circuit and is beloved by Democrats, and probably some GOP voters. Clinton got off easy in comparison to Coz or Weinstein.

The jury is still out on 45 to see if he gets off easy or not as his story is not finished yet. Moliere is probably correct though, the religious right may have forgiven Bush, and the libs would have condemned him.

And I am not defending 45, but has he done so while he is in the White House?

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

I feel for those that have been posting the #metoo stuff. I'm shocked by the sheer volume of it on Facebook in fact.

I believe part of it is excruciatingly true. I believe part of it is bandwagoning. I believe part of it is "look at me".

But I'm a white male....so it doesn't matter!

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    I feel for those that have been posting the #metoo stuff. I'm shocked by the sheer volume of it on Facebook in fact.

I believe part of it is excruciatingly true. I believe part of it is bandwagoning. I believe part of it is "look at me".

I know it happens, because several women close to me have confided with me over time, but I am unaware of its pervasiveness. Like you Tick, being a white male who doesn't witness it, it is difficult to assess or evaluate. It's probably because as one just dives into work with almost no personal social life, you simply don't encounter that many people. But who are these guys grabbing women or making unwanted comments? When is all this occurring?

There are no easy fixes for this. One could use draconian measures such as criminalizing romantic fraternization in the workplace, but that is unlikely to be adopted.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post

Ha! I agree with you on all of this. I’ve seen one friend mention that she gets weekly IG dms consisting of nothing but male genitalia. It’s her business account so RS not private (sole proprietorship) and she’s an attractive lady. My sister posted a #metoo as well.

As a cisgender white male, I wouldn’t even dare post a response in support of any of them, but it’s been a good movement to point out a problem in society. I’ll also note that I’m glad I went through the flirting/dating phase before social media and viral stuff like this.

I will add that within running circles, it seems that thins are even worse. I’m sure it has to do with typical exercise gear, which is by design minimal (thus revealing) but the number g catcalls and sexually explicit comments women runners endure is alarming. Thankfully I usually run at 5am when no one else is out so I avoid any catcalls that would otherwise come my way...

Nibnb m binninbn

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I’ll also note that I’m glad I went through the flirting/dating phase before social media and viral stuff like this.

Hard to mass-disseminate those Polaroids, amirite?

Pre-Historic Man

I will add that within running circles, it seems that thins are even worse. I’m sure it has to do with typical exercise gear, which is by design minimal (thus revealing) but the number g catcalls and sexually explicit comments women runners endure is alarming. Thankfully I usually run at 5am when no one else is out so I avoid any catcalls that would otherwise come my way...

Dating may be very difficult given the rules of engagement are so blurred and constantly changing. I remember a poster one lady had posted at her work, jokingly so, "sexual harassment, it's one of the perks of this place." Wager that placard is long gone.

If they truly wanted to eliminate it occurring, one would criminalize workplace fraternization, and even one wanted to really change society, make any flirtation unwanted hate speech, because of its potential for sexual harassment. Of course, that is absurd, draconian and not likely endorsed by anybody except the true crusaders. Nonetheless, the harassment women apparently suffer amazes me because I would have thought men would have awakened after the Anita Hill incident.

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

This may have already been posted. I didn't see it. The sheer volume (of those willing to come forward) of Weinstein accusers is shocking.

http://digg.com/2017/harvey-weinstein-allegations

A few examples:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysette Anthony
    He pushed me inside and rammed me up against the coat rack in my tiny hall and started fumbling at my gown. He was trying to kiss me and shove inside me... Finally I just gave up. At least I was able to stop him kissing me. As he ground himself against me, I kept my eyes shut tight, held my breath, just let him get on with it. He came over my leg like a dog and then left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vu Thu Phuong
    Everything suddenly turned dark when I saw Mr. Harvey Weinstein standing before me with only a towel around his waist, smiling." He asked her if she was ready to star in a few sex scenes... "I can teach you, don’t worry. Many stars have also been through this," Weinstein reassured Phuong... “Just treat this as necessary experiences so that you’ll have a stronger foundation in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie Dix
    Once in the hotel room, "all the alarm bells starting ringing" and "within a heartbeat" she found herself pushed on the bed with him "tugging at her clothes." The young actor, who was 22 at the time, says that she managed to bolt to the bathroom and after some time in hiding opted to make an escape. She opened the door and found him facing her "standing there masturbating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosana Arquette
    Weinstein opened the door wearing a white bathrobe. Weinstein said that his neck was sore and that he needed a massage. She told him that she could recommend a good masseuse. “Then he grabbed my hand,” she said. He put it on his neck. When she yanked her hand away... Weinstein grabbed it again and pulled it toward his penis, which was visible and erect...

Weinstein told her that she was making a huge mistake by rejecting him

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    This may have already been posted. I didn't see it. The sheer volume (of those willing to come forward) of Weinstein accusers is shocking.

http://digg.com/2017/harvey-weinstein-allegations

A few examples:
    It surprises me that he got away with it for so long with so many victims.

It surprises me that he got away with it for so long with so many victims.
    The number is staggering. Truly disgusting.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Princeps Inter Pares

Nibnb m binninbn
    Break off the attack! The shield is still up!!

Pull up! All craft pull up!!!
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν