Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hollywood, heal thyself

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Nibnb m binninbn

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

I'm trying to reconcile the ideas of gender equality and avoiding any form of sexual harrassment, with the fact that I must (and pretty much do) treat women and men differently when I make an observation about their appearance. For example, if a guy who rarely dresses well shows up in a nice suit, shirt and crisp tie, I'll almost certainly comment (a snark-free compliment, honest!). But I'm beginning to think that any compliment given to a woman under similar circumstances will be seen as sexist, demeaning or worse. I assume it's better to say nothing. What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I'm trying to reconcile the ideas of gender equality and avoiding any form of sexual harrassment, with the fact that I must (and pretty much do) treat women and men differently when I make an observation about their appearance. For example, if a guy who rarely dresses well shows up in a nice suit, shirt and crisp tie, I'll almost certainly comment (a snark-free compliment, honest!). But I'm beginning to think that any compliment given to a woman under similar circumstances will be seen as sexist, demeaning or worse. I assume it's better to say nothing. What do you do?
    Ask where they're interviewing that day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    The other concern about gender equality is "being with the guys." Many women have correctly observed that a lot of business is conducted away fro the office. One complaint is that the guys will invite each other and not the women. This probably happens with women's only groups, but if you adjust for that and invite the women, are you being sexist if you treat them like one of the guys?

In your scenario, I make it more neutral, "you look sharp today!" You're not focusing upon femininity, just that things look like they are clicking. Now I am probably wrong but I usually don't receive negative vibes from that approach.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

I smack 'em both on the butt and say, "Lookin' gooooooood!"
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."