Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    My wife is willingly flying to her grandma's 90th birthday celebration on SB Sunday. WTF is wrong with her?!?
    I've shared this elsewhere, but this morning I learned that our Pri Pres has scheduled the 11yo intro to Priesthood for SB Sunday at 6:30pm. As I have pretty good familiarity with all of the families of the five 11 yo boys in our ward who could be there, this pretty much assures that 3 of them wont be present, and that the other two who are will be spending the entire time wishing they weren't.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I've shared this elsewhere, but this morning I learned that our Pri Pres has scheduled the 11yo intro to Priesthood for SB Sunday at 6:30pm. As I have pretty good familiarity with all of the families of the five 11 yo boys in our ward who could be there, this pretty much assures that 3 of them wont be present, and that the other two who are will be spending the entire time wishing they weren't.
    I thought assignments during SB Sunday was off limits in non-Wymount family wards. WTF is wrong with people?!?

I thought assignments during SB Sunday was off limits in non-Wymount family wards. WTF is wrong with people?!?
    I remember once going to a fireside with Bruce Hurst as the speaker. It was at the tabernacle in St. George, and it was right during the second half of the SB. I distinctly remember sitting there thinking the entire time "I should be enjoying this, but I"m not because I'm missing out on the freaking superbowl. Coulnd't they have done this next week?"
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I remember once going to a fireside with Bruce Hurst as the speaker. It was at the tabernacle in St. George, and it was right during the second half of the SB. I distinctly remember sitting there thinking the entire time "I should be enjoying this, but I"m not because I'm missing out on the freaking superbowl. Coulnd't they have done this next week?"
    Bishop Pusey got up at the end of sacrament meeting and said 'I cannot see how anyone thinks watching the superbowl is keeping the Sabbath day holy', and then sat down. The kickoff was a couple of hours away. I wonder how many in the congregation were duly chastened (I think I may have been one of them ).

Bishop Pusey got up at the end of sacrament meeting and said 'I cannot see how anyone thinks watching the superbowl is keeping the Sabbath day holy', and then sat down. The kickoff was a couple of hours away. I wonder how many in the congregation were duly chastened (I think I may have been one of them ).
    I think a good rule to live by is to never listen to a BYU student ward bishop.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

sounds like you were the real pusey, am i right?
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    I think a good rule to live by is to never listen to a BYU student ward bishop.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

I had a bishop in my home ward growing up say essentially the same thing. You could almost feel the congregation shrugging that that suggestion off.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I know a BYU student ward bishop that cancelled a meeting last year because it would conflict with the Super Bowl. He is keeping the schedule clear this year. Pretty cool guy.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I know a BYU student ward bishop that cancelled a meeting last year because it would conflict with the Super Bowl. He is keeping the schedule clear this year. Pretty cool guy.
    I've heard mixed reviews about the guy, but that is cool. Actually, the only negative notes have related to occasional insufficiencies of smoked delicacies.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I've heard mixed reviews about the guy, but that is cool. Actually, the only negative notes have related to occasional insufficiencies of smoked delicacies.
    And that he occasionally overuses certain colloquialisms.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Ha! Last year our stake scheduled a planning meeting for the self reliance group leaders. My bishop was asked to be on the leadership for it and he was happy to do it.

The stake them set the planning meeting for super bowl Sunday night. My bishop told the stake president he already had a commitment that night. The sp laughed thinking he was joking until my bishop made it clear he wouldn’t be there since he was going to watch the super bowl. They didn’t reschedule and my bishop didn’t go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Who originally scheduled the meeting? Just checking on the level of coolness to assign to him.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    And that he occasionally overuses certain colloquialisms.
    Haha. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Who originally scheduled the meeting? Just checking on the level of coolness to assign to him.
    It was a regularly scheduled ward prayer on Sunday evening. He noticed that the game was going long and there would be a conflict so he blasted a text to the entire ward telling them that ward prayer was cancelled.

It was a regularly scheduled ward prayer on Sunday evening. He noticed that the game was going long and there would be a conflict so he blasted a text to the entire ward telling them that ward prayer was cancelled.
    what is the point of those ward prayers? Is it to get kids into church again or is it for building fellowship/social purposes?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    sounds like you were the real pusey, am i right?
    I should totally look him up and send him a pic of me watching the superbowl, with the caption, 'who's the Pusey now, huh?'

That would be a totally sick burn.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    what is the point of those ward prayers? Is it to get kids into church again or is it for building fellowship/social purposes?
    Just a short get-together in the dorm activity room for 15-20 minutes to end the sabbath on a positive note. Recognize birthdays, mission calls, intro new people, etc. followed by a short hymn, thought, prayer. Then they sit around and socialize. Casual dress. We get great attendance.

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    I distinctly recall the only purpose those prayers served when I was school. The opportunity to see some of the girls in their pajamas. Considering it was the late 80s and baggy sweaters and multiple layers was the prevailing style, that was like seeing an ankle or shoulder in Victorian times

I award 7 out of 11 points. It should have been cancelled well in advance, but the act of cancelling keeps him above the 5.5 mid point threshold.

Last edited by Moliere; 01-26-2018 at 04:59 PM.

Chiefs send Alex Smith to the Redskins.

Smith extends his contact right away. 4 years $94M of which $71M is guaranteed.
    Last edited by falafel; 01-30-2018 at 08:37 PM.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Was there every any doubt?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    You've got it all wrong. They needed to spend a bunch more time preparing additional TD celebrations.

Unfortunately, curling was probably the ONLY TD celebration that they practiced. So, once they broke it out - it just never occurred to them that maybe they should have had additional celebrations prepared in case they scored again.

And at that point they determined that it would've been embarrassing to score and then not have another cool celebration prepared.

They were just stuck.
    Not sure how I missed this earlier, but you may be on to something. They should have consulted with T.O. to get a variety of celebrations in their repertoire.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Absolutely hammering Pats -5. That’s an entire bankroll bet for me.
    I agree with this. The Pats are going to win big.

Last week was an aberration — we are going to see the real Nick Foles this week and he isn’t very good.

Hope I’m wrong.

Ha. “Kyle Van Noy. Brigham.”

Love that!

Come on Eagles!

Would love to see someone earhole gronk. Loved seeing him get lit up 2 weeks ago.

Lots of sloppy play here... reminds me of the cowboys.
    Last edited by Uncle Ted; 02-04-2018 at 04:20 PM.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!