The birth of the mother dough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The birth of the mother dough

Well at this point it has only been conceived, but birth is expected in less than a week. I'll be sure to keep you guys up to date.

I'm not sure if it'll work in a bread machine as sourdough bread typically takes longer to rise, but I'll give it a try. What the heck.

Originally posted by YardTime View Post
    Well at this point it has only been conceived, but birth is expected in less than a week. I'll be sure to keep you guys up to date.

I'm not sure if it'll work in a bread machine as sourdough bread typically takes longer to rise, but I'll give it a try. What the heck.
    How did you go about making the mother? I've made a few in the past, but it's ridiculously easy in Houston.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Like I say, it's still in the gestation period, but I just mixed a cup of flour and a cup of warm water. I'll feed it once a day by throwing out half of the mix and adding a half cup of warm water and flour back in until it starts developing bubbles and smelling a wee bit like beer. After that I'll stick it in the refrigerator and just feed it once a week.

It is ridiculously easy, but my guess is that it will take a longer time to develop in the dryer climate here.

Comment

It's alive.

It didn't take as long as I expected it might. Now what to do with the hooch....

Comment

Originally posted by YardTime View Post
          It's alive.

It didn't take as long as I expected it might. Now what to do with the hooch....
          Stir it back in.
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
            Stir it back in.
            Hmmmm.....or drain it off and use it for.....cooking. Alcohol is ok if you make it yourself right?

Comment

Working...
            X