Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas Strip - Deadliest Mass Shooting in US

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Byron and GM have convinced me, the main stream media really should be focused today on the Moutain Meadow Massacre and other evils committed in the 1800s by Mormons rather than this Las Vegas shooting.
    Byron is a very smart guy, certainly smarter than I am, but I kind of like it when he displays a certain narrow-mindedness by seizing on non-Church-related news stories to take a shot at the Church anyway. It's like when I pick up a whiff of B.O. from someone who's better dressed than I am--I confess I feel a little better about myself. Thanks, BM!

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    It makes about as much sense as your first argument.
    you aren't this big of a dingus
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    The news is this guy had true fully automatic weapons, including some AK 47s. Obviously illegal.
    Maybe we should ban them again

Also, let me know f this tragedy is bad enough that I shouldn’t let my kids swim in the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    You two did a cute song and dance about it. Now you don’t want it to be the focus?
    I guess not. Thanks.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    you aren't this big of a dingus
    No? Thanks. Sort of looks you might be.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

64-year old retiree from Mesquite? Of course ISIS immediately takes the credit. GTFOH, America in 2017.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Byron is a very smart guy, certainly smarter than I am, but I kind of like it when he displays a certain narrow-mindedness by seizing on non-Church-related news stories to take a shot at the Church anyway. It's like when I pick up a whiff of B.O. from someone who's better dressed than I am--I confess I feel a little better about myself. Thanks, BM!
    And he is wont to tell everybody how much smarter he believes he is, together with his two or three degrees.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Maybe we should ban them again

Also, let me know f this tragedy is bad enough that I shouldn’t let my kids swim in the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Banning automatic weapons and unlawful use of dynamite is guaranteed to stop all explosive and automatic gun violence. Guaranteed!

Meanwhile, anybody in Vegas or Henderson, get down and donate blood if you can.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

One thin silver lining of this devastating event is watching the way the people in Las Vegas (and throughout the country) are responding, including hours-long lines to donate blood, buying out local Costco's to bring snacks/food to first responders, helping those trying to get home, etc. Thinking about the frequency and magnitude of these events is really depressing, and one wonders if the world is truly going to hell. But seeing the evil wrought by only one person, and the good being done by thousands, even millions, leads me back to the belief that in the end, good will prevail. I say these things....

One thin silver lining of this devastating event is watching the way the people in Las Vegas (and throughout the country) are responding, including hours-long lines to donate blood, buying out local Costco's to bring snacks/food to first responders, helping those trying to get home, etc. Thinking about the frequency and magnitude of these events is really depressing, and one wonders if the world is truly going to hell. But seeing the evil wrought by only one person, and the good being done by thousands, even millions, leads me back to the belief that in the end, good will prevail. I say these things....
    Thanks Wadsworth!
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Quote Originally Posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    I just had an idea.

How about we ban semi-automatic guns for 10 years and then track the data.

If mass shootings still occur at the same rate over the course of a decade, I'll concede the point of the gun-toting NRAers, and you can have your "2nd amendment rights" back.

I'm just suggesting that you folks agree to push pause on the semi-automatics for one decade of your life and instead try to enjoy old fashioned guns for awhile.
    so how is that different from the brady bill

It is heartwarming to see the response in the face of tragedy. I think modern civilization in many ways is in direct conflict with the nature of humanity and thousands of years of human existence. But I'm cautiously optimistic that it will continue to prod along, correcting and bettering itself.

I'm not smart, but I know smart when I see it and sooner is not smarter than PAC. SJBH!
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    I'm not smart, but I know smart when I see it and sooner is not smarter than PAC. SJBH!
    There are a lot of smart guys on this site, just ask them. Of course, I agree with you that PAC is quite clever and insightful. It's why we read posts here, either for insights or laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    I doubt it, but thanks anyway. I admit that with my advanced years (I love having just gone on Medicare!), I benefit considerably from a corollary of the General Authority Humor Perception Discount--the older the GA, the harder the audience laughs when a joke is offered. Stick around, I'm going to become a comedic genius in the next decade.

Lost in the Vegas news today, a mass shooting prevented on I-5 at the border of CA and OR. This happened in my hometown and is a part of I-5 I regularly travel with my family. Don't know if I'd have been able to process what was happening fast enough to react like this man did. I hope I would.

http://www.mailtribune.com/news/2017...ing-i-5-threat

Picture from the shooting. WTF?!?! What is the fellow on the right doing, nursing those drinks?

The news is this guy had true fully automatic weapons, including some AK 47s. Obviously illegal.
    Saying he had over 30 weapons in his hotel room.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Banning automatic weapons and unlawful use of dynamite is guaranteed to stop all explosive and automatic gun violence. Guaranteed!

Meanwhile, anybody in Vegas or Henderson, get down and donate blood if you can.
    Currently huge waits at all the donation centers, 5 hours plus. They are organizing new donation sites today and throughout the week. Huge effort by the community to donate blood and is very inspiring.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Saying he had over 30 weapons in his hotel room.
    That is crazy. How in the world do you get that many weapons into your room without attracting some kind of attention?

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    That is crazy. How in the world do you get that many weapons into your room without attracting some kind of attention?
    I don't know, really strange. Apparently he had been staying at the MB since Thursday. Could have brought in small bags over a period of time.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Really would anybody blink at a guy ferrying a couple duffle bags into his hotel room?
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Currently huge waits at all the donation centers, 5 hours plus. They are organizing new donation sites today and throughout the week. Huge effort by the community to donate blood and is very inspiring.
    Yes, it is. You can also make a reservation to avoid having to wait. The community is stepping up and responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Yes, it is. You can also make a reservation to avoid having to wait. The community is stepping up and responding.
    They are hopefully setting up a donation center down at the Hughes Center, which is convenient to me.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Really would anybody blink at a guy ferrying a couple duffle bags into his hotel room?
    I thought about too. He could’ve just had a couple of suitcases and a duffle bag. I’m assuming many of the firearms are pistols though.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Maybe not. If he had a permit, he could've legally owned them. Rare, but not unheard of.

I'm guessing that there are enough trade shows, etc., in Vegas that if someone showed up with a couple of large storage bins or crates they wanted hauled up to their room, no one would've asked any questions.

But yea, duffle bags could've done the trick too.

Pre-Historic Man

Golf clubs and all sorts of weird shaped bags are often seen being brought to rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Picture from the shooting. WTF?!?! What is the fellow on the right doing, nursing those drinks?
    Speaking of "wtf are you doing?"... CNN showed a video this morning taken during the shooting. With the sound of automatic weapons fire in the background, one concertgoer was standing, facing the Mandalay Hotel, and flipping off the shooter (the bird was mosaicked out of focus). It reminded me of Patton shooting up at a strafing Messerschmidt, but this guy was even stupider.

A guy from our area who was at the concert was speaking to a local radio talk show host this morning and was asked the same question. He said that Vegas has lots of gun shows and it's not unusual for guys to carry in lots of gun cases. There's apparently a big show this weekend. In fact, there are three over the next five weeks. Excellent timing for the exhibitors.

Speaking of "wtf are you doing?"... CNN showed a video this morning taken during the shooting. With the sound of automatic weapons fire in the background, one concertgoer was standing, facing the Mandalay Hotel, and flipping off the shooter (the bird was mosaicked out of focus). It reminded me of Patton shooting up at a strafing Messerschmidt, but this guy was even stupider.

A guy from our area who was at the concert was speaking to a local radio talk show host this morning and was asked the same question. He said that Vegas has lots of gun shows and it's not unusual for guys to carry in lots of gun cases. There's apparently a big show this weekend. In fact, there are three over the next five weeks. Excellent timing for the exhibitors.
    I love how everyone talks about this guy having "balls of steel." No, just really drunk and stupid.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

I really marvel at the fact that we will show videos of the shooting in process and then give the shooter his time of fame, which the FBI has repeatedly said inspires others to act out, but we blur out a middle finger. I also can’t imagine being surrounded by gun shots and thinking that I need to grab my phone and start videoing.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke