Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 501

Thread: Las Vegas Strip - Deadliest Mass Shooting in US

  1. #31
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    I will also concede that mentioning MMM on a Mormon message board is about as smart as mentioning 9/11 on an Afghan message board.

    MMM was a long time ago and very different so we can all just forget about it and focus on vegas. Sorry.
    There is an appropriate time to discuss that, but in light of a very current tragedy to rail against your former religion using old episodes and then to rant on political topic, makes you out to be insensitive in light of some knowing people injured and those that perished. But go ahead, rant away.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  2. #32
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Holy Land
    Posts
    14,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    I will also concede that mentioning MMM on a Mormon message board is about as smart as mentioning 9/11 on an Afghan message board.

    MMM was a long time ago and very different so we can all just forget about it and focus on vegas. Sorry.
    No big. I forgive you.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  3. #33
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    I will also concede that mentioning MMM on a Mormon message board is about as smart as mentioning 9/11 on an Afghan message board.

    MMM was a long time ago and very different so we can all just forget about it and focus on vegas. Sorry.

  4. #34

    Default

    This guy wasn't just a vanilla guy, his father was on the FBI top ten most wanted list and a total psychopath. The apple didn't fall far from the tree. Maybe we should prohibit offspring of people on the top ten most wanted list from buying a gun.

    http://nypost.com/2017/10/02/vegas-g...t-wanted-list/
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  5. #35
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frog Pond Grange
    Posts
    6,424

    Default

    In another dimension "Marchant" is the shooter.

    Which proves he's a serial dick.

    When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream


  6. #36
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    18,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    This guy wasn't just a vanilla guy, his father was on the FBI top ten most wanted list and a total psychopath. The apple didn't fall far from the tree. Maybe we should prohibit offspring of people on the top ten most wanted list from buying a gun.

    http://nypost.com/2017/10/02/vegas-g...t-wanted-list/

    At least fully automatic ones.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  7. #37
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    27,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    largest vs. larger

    Seems clear on its face.

    You fell victim to the same assumption, apparently.
    Possibly the dumbest, most worthless argument to possibly have, especially in a thread like this.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    There's a story in USA Today about available modifications to semi automatic guns, but the WaPo story makes it sound like it would be impossible to fire the number of rounds this guy did with merely a semi-automatic with these modifications. The gun barrels couldn't handle it.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    There's a story in USA Today about available modifications to semi automatic guns, but the WaPo story makes it sound like it would be impossible to fire the number of rounds this guy did with merely a semi-automatic with these modifications. The gun barrels couldn't handle it.
    he had a bunch of guns. cook barrel, swap gun.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    In another dimension "Marchant" is the shooter.

    Which proves he's a serial dick.
    Isn't there a board rule against this sort of thing?

  11. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    There's a story in USA Today about available modifications to semi automatic guns, but the WaPo story makes it sound like it would be impossible to fire the number of rounds this guy did with merely a semi-automatic with these modifications. The gun barrels couldn't handle it.
    How many rounds are we talking about?

  12. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    you're right, this guy also could have thrown knives out of the hotel window and killed 50/wounded 500+.
    Crap, you got me. I'm obviously wrong, because I was trying to make the point that this would have gone down exactly as it did if the shooter didn't have a gun, and that his only option would be to attack from a hotel window. I should have know better than to try to match wits with someone as brilliant as you, who understands that CCW people all carry .38's with only 4 rounds. Are you Sicilian, by chance?

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  13. #43

    Default

    I just had an idea.

    How about we ban semi-automatic guns for 10 years and then track the data.

    If mass shootings still occur at the same rate over the course of a decade, I'll concede the point of the gun-toting NRAers, and you can have your "2nd amendment rights" back.

    I'm just suggesting that you folks agree to push pause on the semi-automatics for one decade of your life and instead try to enjoy old fashioned guns for awhile.

  14. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    largest vs. larger

    Seems clear on its face.

    You fell victim to the same assumption, apparently.
    Apparently.

  15. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    How many rounds are we talking about?
    This is what the WaPo says:

    Semiautomatic weapons can legally simulate automatic fire with “bump” modifications to the stock, which harnesses the recoil and the shooter’s stance to more quickly move the bolt, according to the Trace, a nonprofit website that examine gun violence in the United States.

    Paddock’s choice of a firing position 400 yards from the stage at a high overlook suggests a plan of attack to fire into a densely packed area where accuracy would not be a top concern. That distance is near the 500-yard effective range for an M-4, but machine guns are typically more powerful. A weapon such as the M-249 Squad Automatic Weapon, or SAW, is effective at 800 meters for individual targets.

    The difference between the two is enormous from a lethality standpoint. On the battlefield, for instance, an M-4 rifle is a semiautomatic rifle. Training manuals suggest 12 to 15 rounds a minute for sustained firing, which would avert the risk of its barrel overheating.
    Obviously this guy didn't care what was going to happen to the functionality of the gun. But he was apparently going on for something like 8 or 9 minutes. The commercially available guns take something like 30 round clips, from the sound of it, he would go through that in 10-15 seconds. I don't know what would happen to something like a modded AR 15 if you try to fire that many shots in such a short period of time. Does it cool off while you use the other guns to the point where you can return to it in a couple minutes and it will function correctly?
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  16. #46

    Default

    I am amazed by how much some of you know about guns.

  17. #47

    Default

    Since we've already entered the political fray this am, I don't feel bad about posting Vox's video of the US gun problem. With the disclaimer of the usual left-leaning source (of which I agree with):


  18. #48

    Default



    It looks like the AR-15 can fire off quite a few rounds. Holy shit
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  19. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    I am amazed by how much some of you know about guns.
    I read two articles in USA Today and WaPo this morning, I'm an expert even though I've never owned a gun.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  20. #50
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,933

    Default

    Byron and GM have convinced me, the main stream media really should be focused today on the Moutain Meadow Massacre and other evils committed in the 1800s by Mormons rather than this Las Vegas shooting.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  21. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    Crap, you got me. I'm obviously wrong, because I was trying to make the point that this would have gone down exactly as it did if the shooter didn't have a gun, and that his only option would be to attack from a hotel window. I should have know better than to try to match wits with someone as brilliant as you, who understands that CCW people all carry .38's with only 4 rounds. Are you Sicilian, by chance?
    you are a knucklehead.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  22. #52
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    you're right, this guy also could have thrown knives out of the hotel window and killed 50/wounded 500+.
    Excellent point, as Timothy mcveigh taught us.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  23. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Excellent point, as Timothy mcveigh taught us.
    mcveigh blew people up, full auto guns for everyone!
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  24. #54
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    mcveigh blew people up, full auto guns for everyone!
    It makes about as much sense as your first argument.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  25. #55
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Byron and GM have convinced me, the main stream media really should be focused today on the Moutain Meadow Massacre and other evils committed in the 1800s by Mormons rather than this Las Vegas shooting.
    Oh brother.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  26. #56
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Possibly the dumbest, most worthless argument to possibly have, especially in a thread like this.
    I really am sorry. I know this impacts you and the other CSers with strong Vegas ties in a more significant way. If there’s anything I can do for you guys, let me know.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  27. #57
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Oh brother.
    You two did a cute song and dance about it. Now you don’t want it to be the focus?
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  28. #58
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    27,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I really am sorry. I know this impacts you and the other CSers with strong Vegas ties in a more significant way. If there’s anything I can do for you guys, let me know.
    Thanks
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  29. #59
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    You two did a cute song and dance about it. Now you don’t want it to be the focus?
    Take it easy on them. They are coming off their semi-annual self-loathing recovery procedures after realizing that Dallin H. Oaks isn't going to be viewed as cool in their echo chambers!
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  30. #60

    Default

    The news is this guy had true fully automatic weapons, including some AK 47s. Obviously illegal.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •