No announcement yet.

Las Vegas Strip - Deadliest Mass Shooting in US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are close to a quarter of a million public schools in the USA. Metal detectors, closed campuses, police on duty. People talk like that, but then they won't pony up the taxes. That's a colossal misallocation of resources. If you only spend...ONLY....$40,000 per school per year on security, you're talking $10 billion a year.

NO!

That's about as smart as the War on Drugs for misallocation of resources and further militarization of our society and police force in the name of safety.

Locking down campuses is unwise.

I have a fever and I'm emotional about all of this. I'm going to bow out until I'm not sick of body, and I'm not upset about kids being gunned down.
    Last edited by wuapinmon; 02-15-2018, 10:28 AM.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      There are close to a quarter of a million public schools in the USA. Metal detectors, closed campuses, police on duty. People talk like that, but then they won't pony up the taxes. That's a colossal misallocation of resources. If you only spend...ONLY....$40,000 per school per year on security, you're talking $10 billion a year.

NO!

That's about as smart as the War on Drugs for misallocation of resources and further militarization of our society and police force in the name of safety.

Locking down campuses is fucking stupid.
      Agree... Don't listen to Moli. I am surprised he didn't see the costs like you did, given that he claims to be good with numbers and such.

Yeah, VR schools is a much better idea... Kids can just "plug in" in the safety of their home or the public library or something. Given that students show up in the VR school with the privacy of an anonymous avatar it should cut down on the bullying, etc. problem as well. The VR world OS can manage all of that. Sure it doesn't stop killing going on in the VR world but the students have endless VR "lives".
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        Agree... Don't listen to Moli. I am surprised he didn't see the costs like you did, given that he claims to be good with numbers and such.

Yeah, VR schools is a much better idea... Kids can just "plug in" in the safety of their home or the public library or something. Given that students show up in the VR school with the privacy of an anonymous avatar it should cut down on the bullying, etc. problem as well. The VR world OS can manage all of that. Sure it doesn't stop killing going on in the VR world but the students have endless VR "lives".
        Not if it's like the matrix.

Comment

And I haven't even mentioned the Marines yet. Good God! The Marines could take on all the other branches combined and whoop them.

Don't kid yourself. My daughter went on a date with a marine, and when he got a flat, he had no idea what to do so she changed it while he sat in the car. She could have easily whooped him, no doubt.

Comment

• We need an algorithm to monitor social media and find bad actors for further attention by law enforcement.
            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

There are close to a quarter of a million public schools in the USA. Metal detectors, closed campuses, police on duty. People talk like that, but then they won't pony up the taxes. That's a colossal misallocation of resources. If you only spend...ONLY....$40,000 per school per year on security, you're talking $10 billion a year.

NO!

Locking down campuses is unwise.

I have a fever and I'm emotional about all of this. I'm going to bow out until I'm not sick of body, and I'm not upset about kids being gunned down.
              So $33 per citizen it too much? (I’m using your figured, which I have no idea if they are even remotely correct)

The real way to fix the issue is to amend the constitution and make owning guns illegal. That will never happen. A lot of Houston ISD schools are already closed campus and have metal detectors. Doesn’t seem to be a huge cost burden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                Limit is already 5 in California. But again...only affects the folks that obey the laws.
                It's 10, not 5, and for an AR-15 it has to be modified so that you need a special tool to get the magazine out.

My sister lives a few miles from this school in Florida and knows at least one person whose daughter was shot (but not killed). Although I think an AR-15 is kind of cool, I don't see why anybody really needs to own one of those. I'm in favor of stricter controls on guns.

Comment

• Here's some stats that argue for an assault weapons ban:

Compared with the 10-year period before the ban, the number of gun massacres during the ban period fell by 37 percent, and the number of people dying from gun massacres fell by 43 percent. But after the ban lapsed in 2004, the numbers shot up again — an astonishing 183 percent increase in massacres and a 239 percent increase in massacre deaths.
                  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.0199c99a6d8a

That's just a start, but a needed one. By the way, what happened to all the talk restricting bump stocks?
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                    It's 10, not 5, and for an AR-15 it has to be modified so that you need a special tool to get the magazine out.

My sister lives a few miles from this school in Florida and knows at least one person whose daughter was shot (but not killed). Although I think an AR-15 is kind of cool, I don't see why anybody really needs to own one of those. I'm in favor of stricter controls on guns.
                    A right is not based on need, a right exists in the face of government wishing to restrict it.

AR-15's are low powered rifles that look scary. The are still semi-auto, useful for vermin hunting, target shooting and general recreational target practice. They're kinda expensive for what you get.

Now the kits used to modify these weapons should be illegal. However, I suspect that's not practical.
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post

You have never hunted wild hogs in Texas, have you? Sometimes when you shoot them in the head it just pisses them off and they start to charge you. My friend's son was treed by one that he pissed off once because he was out of ammo. He had to wait for about an hour for the hog to finally succumb to its headshot and fall over. Now he carries a 1911 for backup. An AR-15 with a suppressor, however, is the primary weapon of choice for hog hunting for a lot of reasons.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                        A right is not based on need, a right exists in the face of government wishing to restrict it.

AR-15's are low powered rifles that look scary. The are still semi-auto, useful for vermin hunting, target shooting and general recreational target practice. They're kinda expensive for what you get.

Now the kits used to modify these weapons should be illegal. However, I suspect that's not practical.
                        Good luck trying to regulate gun parts... folks will just get robots make them:

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Hey folks, we already had a multi-year ban on both assault rifles and high-capacity magazines. Made zero difference. Stop kidding yourselves.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Hey folks, we already had a multi-year ban on both assault rifles and high-capacity magazines. Made zero difference. Stop kidding yourselves.
                            Ahem:

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=1#post1357903
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• lol at Huckadope, father of a liar

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Hey folks, we already had a multi-year ban on both assault rifles and high-capacity magazines. Made zero difference. Stop kidding yourselves.
                                Yeah, you dummies... listen to JL.

Besides, after reading Ready Player One I am convinced that VR schools are the way to go.

(Hat tip to Walter for recommending that book to me.)
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X