Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beef. It's what's for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    ftr, my butter approach is to put a fat slice of high quality butter on it immediately after searing while it rests. softens the crust a little, but the tradeoff is worth it in my humble opinion.
    Exactly how I do my toast!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Exactly how I do my toast!
    You sear your toast? Respect.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Anyone following this story?

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/07/heal...are-costs.html

Hundreds of billions of dollars could be put toward health-care costs every year if a tax was applied to red and processed meat, Oxford University researchers said Wednesday.

A new study from the U.K. university said introducing a health tax on such products would offset health-care costs and prevent more than 220,000 deaths a year globally.
    Nutritionists are arguing that it is a dumb idea.

However, Carrie Ruxton, a public health nutritionist and dietitian, argued that meat consumption had already seen a significant decline in the U.K., adding that red meat provided valuable nutrients to diets.

"A tax on red meat would be a retrograde step, both for overall diet quality in women and girls and for health inequalities," she said in a statement emailed to CNBC.

"There is no high-quality evidence linking red and processed meat with heart disease, stroke or diabetes, and a risk of bowel cancer only applies when weekly intakes exceed 700g. As few people in the U.K. are at this level of consumption, a general meat tax would be like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut."
    I read elsewhere that the main author of the study/proposal is a vegan.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

i'm guessing cowboy would be opposed to such a tax.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

If one were inclined to tax foods that are bad for you, one should focus on corn syrup, fructose, and other sugars. Don't touch my meat!

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    If one were inclined to tax foods that are bad for you, one should focus on corn syrup, fructose, and other sugars. Don't touch my meat!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

[My beverage is unsweetened iced green tea]

And btw, I read The Obesity Code at your recommendation a couple of months ago. I haven't implemented the fasting schedule, but I've reduced my intake of ice cream, candy, chocolate chip cookie <sniff> and other processed carbs by around 75% (which over my lifetime I've consumed in grossly excessive amounts), while maintaining the same caloric intake and exercise regimen. I've lost around 6-8 pounds, getting close to my ideal weight

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    [My beverage is unsweetened iced green tea]

And btw, I read The Obesity Code at your recommendation a couple of months ago. I haven't implemented the fasting schedule, but I've reduced my intake of ice cream, candy, chocolate chip cookie <sniff> and other processed carbs by around 75% (which over my lifetime I've consumed in grossly excessive amounts), while maintaining the same caloric intake and exercise regimen. I've lost around 6-8 pounds, getting close to my ideal weight
    That is awesome!

I am lower than I have been in at least 15 years. My weight loss has slowed substantially, but still creeping down. Having to buy a new wardrobe, which is a lot of fun.