Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 68

Thread: Beef. It's what's for dinner.

  1. #31
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    First a new Accord, and now leftovers? I didn't realize things were so tough in the Moliere household.
    Dude, that's a new model Kitchenaid spatula. Not the kind you can get a Marshall's yet.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  2. #32
    Board Bookworm happyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Davis County
    Posts
    4,548

    Default

    I still have a hard time accepting that a round roast is less expensive than a chuck roast.

    (old man talking) when I was younger 7 bone chuck roast was half the price of a rump/round roast.

    Also I miss the bones in chuck roasts and round steaks for that matter

    I may be small, but I'm slow.

    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

  3. #33

    Default

    those looked burned af
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  4. #34
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Dude, that's a new model Kitchenaid spatula. Not the kind you can get a Marshall's yet.
    So that's where all the money went.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  5. #35
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    those looked burned af
    Well, apparently they were cooked twice so yeah, pretty much between done and well done.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  6. #36
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    First a new Accord, and now leftovers? I didn't realize things were so tough in the Moliere household.
    We are barley scrimping by


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  7. #37
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    We are barley scrimping by

    How expensive is it to heat a pool?
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  8. #38
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,915

    Default

    Going to bake some beans and make some cheesesteaks for the super bowl. Anyone have a good cheesesteak recipe?
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  9. #39

    Default

    we use this one with something other than beef tenderloin

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...recipe-1945264
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  10. #40
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,239
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  11. #41
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    9,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    we use this one with something other than beef tenderloin

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...recipe-1945264
    Just going to leave us hanging as to what you use in lieu of beef tenderloin?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  12. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Just going to leave us hanging as to what you use in lieu of beef tenderloin?
    tilapia
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  13. #43

    Default

    Question for you pros. I’m hosting a neighborhood party today and we have about 150 that have sent in their RSVP. The menu is just burgers and dogs. To make things quick, easy and tasty, my thought was to smoke up the patties this afternoon and then put them in a hotel pan and just grab them as people come up and throw it on the grill and add cheese. I don’t want to produce a dry or unsafe burger for anyone, but I also don’t want to be fighting two extremely hot grills trying to get that many people fed quickly. Any thoughts or ideas?
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

  14. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    Question for you pros. I’m hosting a neighborhood party today and we have about 150 that have sent in their RSVP. The menu is just burgers and dogs. To make things quick, easy and tasty, my thought was to smoke up the patties this afternoon and then put them in a hotel pan and just grab them as people come up and throw it on the grill and add cheese. I don’t want to produce a dry or unsafe burger for anyone, but I also don’t want to be fighting two extremely hot grills trying to get that many people fed quickly. Any thoughts or ideas?
    This is gonna sound nuts, but I baste with a touch of garlic butter or olive oil and put them in the pan on a rack above a touch of water to keep them warm. Safety won't be an issue if you're putting them back on the grill, but you don't want them to get below 120 degrees as they sit and you don't want them to dry out.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  15. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    This is gonna sound nuts, but I baste with a touch of garlic butter or olive oil and put them in the pan on a rack above a touch of water to keep them warm. Safety won't be an issue if you're putting them back on the grill, but you don't want them to get below 120 degrees as they sit and you don't want them to dry out.
    That actually sounds really good. I can’t use garlic, (we have a few who are allergic. I didn’t even know that was possible) but maybe a little salt, pepper and onion butter. That sounds great. Thanks for the suggestion.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

  16. #46

    Default

    This is the best way to prepare a steak. The thicker the steak, the better you can sear it without getting it overdone. For a 1.5" thick steak, I sear each side 3 minutes and keep warm in an oven that is under around 100 degrees. With a 4" filet, I'll finish in the oven for 3-4 minutes at 400.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  17. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    This is the best way to prepare a steak. The thicker the steak, the better you can sear it without getting it overdone. For a 1.5" thick steak, I sear each side 3 minutes and keep warm in an oven that is under around 100 degrees. With a 4" filet, I'll finish in the oven for 3-4 minutes at 400.
    Those look like pretty average cuts of beef. And that dude’s tongs skills are awful.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  18. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    This is the best way to prepare a steak. The thicker the steak, the better you can sear it without getting it overdone. For a 1.5" thick steak, I sear each side 3 minutes and keep warm in an oven that is under around 100 degrees. With a 4" filet, I'll finish in the oven for 3-4 minutes at 400.
    the butters burning dog!!!!
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  19. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    the butters burning dog!!!!
    May be, but it turned out well. I can sear over medium heat with butter or oil, which is really convenient. Less smoke, no char stuck to the pan, and no burnt smell. You can use olive oil if you prefer, but I like butter.

    For the health conscious, protein is not fat soluble, so the the butter isn't absorbed into the steak. There is, however, plenty of buttery goodness on the surface.

    An added benefit is that the layer of oil on the top of the steak when you turn it will help retain moisture.

    And yes, DH, it is an 'off' cut. It's called the Denver, comes from the chuck roll, and it's one of the most tender muscles on the carcass. Also, I'd guess the guy filming has some nerve damage in his pinky and ring fingers that make tongs difficult to control. Just a hunch, I could be wrong.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  20. #50
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    May be, but it turned out well. I can sear over medium heat with butter or oil, which is really convenient. Less smoke, no char stuck to the pan, and no burnt smell. You can use olive oil if you prefer, but I like butter.

    For the health conscious, protein is not fat soluble, so the the butter isn't absorbed into the steak. There is, however, plenty of buttery goodness on the surface.

    An added benefit is that the layer of oil on the top of the steak when you turn it will help retain moisture.

    And yes, DH, it is an 'off' cut. It's called the Denver, comes from the chuck roll, and it's one of the most tender muscles on the carcass. Also, I'd guess the guy filming has some nerve damage in his pinky and ring fingers that make tongs difficult to control. Just a hunch, I could be wrong.
    Stop apologizing for butter.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  21. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Stop apologizing for butter.
    You are right.

    All you butter haters can suck it.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  22. #52

    Default

    JL, what's the contraption you use for searing, it's the Japanese or Korean small little grill. I have in back of my mind for a while to pick one up.

  23. #53
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    JL, what's the contraption you use for searing, it's the Japanese or Korean small little grill. I have in back of my mind for a while to pick one up.
    Iwatani. This little baby will change your life.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  24. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Iwatani. This little baby will change your life.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thanks! Does it get hotter than a stovetop? Or is the appeal just that you can take it outside to avoid the smoke in the house? In my younger years, that alone would have made it worth it. But at this point, enduring a couple minutes of getting yelled at is nbd.

  25. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Thanks! Does it get hotter than a stovetop? Or is the appeal just that you can take it outside to avoid the smoke in the house? In my younger years, that alone would have made it worth it. But at this point, enduring a couple minutes of getting yelled at is nbd.
    jl's wife doesn't yell at him. he does it to get the sex be kind.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  26. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    You are right.

    All you butter haters can suck it.
    bro if you call me a butter hater again we’re gonna have issues
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  27. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Stop apologizing for butter.
    No one should be apologizing for butter. No one.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  28. #58

    Default

    Prefer bison.

  29. #59

    Default

    ftr, my butter approach is to put a fat slice of high quality butter on it immediately after searing while it rests. softens the crust a little, but the tradeoff is worth it in my humble opinion.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  30. #60
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Prefer bison.
    Not me. Butter spreads much more easily and tastes better on toast.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •