No announcement yet.

Beef. It's what's for dinner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the best way to prepare a steak. The thicker the steak, the better you can sear it without getting it overdone. For a 1.5" thick steak, I sear each side 3 minutes and keep warm in an oven that is under around 100 degrees. With a 4" filet, I'll finish in the oven for 3-4 minutes at 400.
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
      This is the best way to prepare a steak. The thicker the steak, the better you can sear it without getting it overdone. For a 1.5" thick steak, I sear each side 3 minutes and keep warm in an oven that is under around 100 degrees. With a 4" filet, I'll finish in the oven for 3-4 minutes at 400.
      Those look like pretty average cuts of beef. And that dude’s tongs skills are awful.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

the butters burning dog!!!!
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          the butters burning dog!!!!
          May be, but it turned out well. I can sear over medium heat with butter or oil, which is really convenient. Less smoke, no char stuck to the pan, and no burnt smell. You can use olive oil if you prefer, but I like butter.

For the health conscious, protein is not fat soluble, so the the butter isn't absorbed into the steak. There is, however, plenty of buttery goodness on the surface.

An added benefit is that the layer of oil on the top of the steak when you turn it will help retain moisture.

And yes, DH, it is an 'off' cut. It's called the Denver, comes from the chuck roll, and it's one of the most tender muscles on the carcass. Also, I'd guess the guy filming has some nerve damage in his pinky and ring fingers that make tongs difficult to control. Just a hunch, I could be wrong.
          sigpic
          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

May be, but it turned out well. I can sear over medium heat with butter or oil, which is really convenient. Less smoke, no char stuck to the pan, and no burnt smell. You can use olive oil if you prefer, but I like butter.

For the health conscious, protein is not fat soluble, so the the butter isn't absorbed into the steak. There is, however, plenty of buttery goodness on the surface.

An added benefit is that the layer of oil on the top of the steak when you turn it will help retain moisture.

And yes, DH, it is an 'off' cut. It's called the Denver, comes from the chuck roll, and it's one of the most tender muscles on the carcass. Also, I'd guess the guy filming has some nerve damage in his pinky and ring fingers that make tongs difficult to control. Just a hunch, I could be wrong.
            Stop apologizing for butter.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              You are right.

All you butter haters can suck it.
              sigpic
              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

JL, what's the contraption you use for searing, it's the Japanese or Korean small little grill. I have in back of my mind for a while to pick one up.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                  JL, what's the contraption you use for searing, it's the Japanese or Korean small little grill. I have in back of my mind for a while to pick one up.
                  Iwatani. This little baby will change your life.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Iwatani. This little baby will change your life.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                    Thanks! Does it get hotter than a stovetop? Or is the appeal just that you can take it outside to avoid the smoke in the house? In my younger years, that alone would have made it worth it. But at this point, enduring a couple minutes of getting yelled at is nbd.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      Thanks! Does it get hotter than a stovetop? Or is the appeal just that you can take it outside to avoid the smoke in the house? In my younger years, that alone would have made it worth it. But at this point, enduring a couple minutes of getting yelled at is nbd.
                      jl's wife doesn't yell at him. he does it to get the sex be kind.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

You are right.

All you butter haters can suck it.
                        bro if you call me a butter hater again we’re gonna have issues

Comment

No one should be apologizing for butter. No one.
                          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Prefer bison.

Comment

ftr, my butter approach is to put a fat slice of high quality butter on it immediately after searing while it rests. softens the crust a little, but the tradeoff is worth it in my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                                Prefer bison.
                                Not me. Butter spreads much more easily and tastes better on toast.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X