Beef. It's what's for dinner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beef. It's what's for dinner.

Grilling steaks and potato wedges over my relatively newly-built fire pit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

hope that grate is hot enough bro
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
      hope that grate is hot enough bro
      Turned out ok. Should have flipped them a little earlier than I did - got more charring than intended on parts of the steaks in the middle.

Also should have cooked the potato wedges longer and/or hotter. The pineapple wedges turned out well.

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

not a fan of grilled steaks. cast iron.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          not a fan of grilled steaks. cast iron.
          Sorry. Didn't mean to assault your sensibilities by cooking with fire.

- Goatnapper'96

Comment

Steak is reason enough alone for me to never become a vegetarian even if that would prolong my life.

Anyone have a tried and true method for steak and eggs?

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              Grilling steaks and potato wedges over my relatively newly-built fire pit.
              Hamburger is also made of 100% beef. You can also find all-beef hot dogs at the market. Use those for your open-fire grill. But don't throw raw steaks on that thing; it's an abomination and one of the end-of-days signs predicted in the BoM. Instead, follow the prophets... prep your steaks sous-vide and finish them on the grill (if the coals and the grill are sufficiently hot... as OG notes).

YWIA.
              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

I smoked a bunch of meat for lunches this week at a fairly low temp (225). I threw a tri-tip in for dinner and left it on the smoke a little too long. To my surprise, it was well done, but also really tender, moist, and delicious.
                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

I love this thread already. Pelado, you're awesome.
                  sigpic
                  "Outlined against a blue, gray
                  October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                  Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                    I love this thread already. Pelado, you're awesome.
                    I appreciate your sustaining vote.

- Goatnapper'96

Comment

I tried a new experimental beef recipe last night that turned out really well. My goal was to make spicy Mexican-style pulled beef that I could use in tacos or as a topping on things like nachos or serve on a bun.

I pulled a nice sirloin roast out of the freezer and cubed it into inch and a half to 2" squares. I threw the cubes into a cast iron roasting pan and then covered them with the sauce and cooked at 275 for about 3 1/2 hours. For the sauce, I took some jalepenos, vinegar, cumin, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper, onion, and a couple cups of water with bullion cubes and threw it in a blender. After blending I poured it over the meat before I put the meat in to cook. Once the beef got tender enough to pull, I took it out and shredded it, then put it back in the roasting pan to cook for another half hour so that it would soak up the sauce.

It was fantastic, but my kids thought it was too spicy by itself. Once you turned it into tacos or nachos, it still had some heat, but was mild enough for even the young kids to eat. The leftovers I mixed with some Mexican rice and put it in individual serving size ziploc bags for lunches.

All in all it was one of my best cooking creations in quite some time. I'll definitely make it again. Next time I'll either smoke the jalepenos ahead of time or maybe use some chipotles from a can. I think the added smoke flavor would add some depth to the meat. I didn't think to take photos since I don't have a habit of instagramming my food. If I do it again, I'll document with photos for those interested.

Comment

I'm doing 4 top rounds in the sous vide. Standard 24 hour cook time @ 128°. 1 for dinner, 3 for sliced sandwich meat.

20171012_153035.jpg
                        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                          I'm doing 4 top rounds in the sous vide. Standard 24 hour cook time @ 128°. 1 for dinner, 3 for sliced sandwich meat.
                          And wash it all down with diet Mtn Dew.
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                            Do you sear those when they're done in the sous vide, or is that only for steak?
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              Do you sear those when they're done in the sous vide, or is that only for steak?
                              always sear after sous vide

Comment

Working...
                              X