Beef. It's what's for dinner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
    ftr, my butter approach is to put a fat slice of high quality butter on it immediately after searing while it rests. softens the crust a little, but the tradeoff is worth it in my humble opinion.
    Exactly how I do my toast!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Exactly how I do my toast!
      You sear your toast? Respect.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Anyone following this story?

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/07/heal...are-costs.html

Hundreds of billions of dollars could be put toward health-care costs every year if a tax was applied to red and processed meat, Oxford University researchers said Wednesday.

A new study from the U.K. university said introducing a health tax on such products would offset health-care costs and prevent more than 220,000 deaths a year globally.
        Nutritionists are arguing that it is a dumb idea.

However, Carrie Ruxton, a public health nutritionist and dietitian, argued that meat consumption had already seen a significant decline in the U.K., adding that red meat provided valuable nutrients to diets.

"A tax on red meat would be a retrograde step, both for overall diet quality in women and girls and for health inequalities," she said in a statement emailed to CNBC.

"There is no high-quality evidence linking red and processed meat with heart disease, stroke or diabetes, and a risk of bowel cancer only applies when weekly intakes exceed 700g. As few people in the U.K. are at this level of consumption, a general meat tax would be like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut."
        I read elsewhere that the main author of the study/proposal is a vegan.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

i'm guessing cowboy would be opposed to such a tax.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

If one were inclined to tax foods that are bad for you, one should focus on corn syrup, fructose, and other sugars. Don't touch my meat!

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              If one were inclined to tax foods that are bad for you, one should focus on corn syrup, fructose, and other sugars. Don't touch my meat!

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

[My beverage is unsweetened iced green tea]

And btw, I read The Obesity Code at your recommendation a couple of months ago. I haven't implemented the fasting schedule, but I've reduced my intake of ice cream, candy, chocolate chip cookie <sniff> and other processed carbs by around 75% (which over my lifetime I've consumed in grossly excessive amounts), while maintaining the same caloric intake and exercise regimen. I've lost around 6-8 pounds, getting close to my ideal weight

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  [My beverage is unsweetened iced green tea]

And btw, I read The Obesity Code at your recommendation a couple of months ago. I haven't implemented the fasting schedule, but I've reduced my intake of ice cream, candy, chocolate chip cookie <sniff> and other processed carbs by around 75% (which over my lifetime I've consumed in grossly excessive amounts), while maintaining the same caloric intake and exercise regimen. I've lost around 6-8 pounds, getting close to my ideal weight
                  That is awesome!

I am lower than I have been in at least 15 years. My weight loss has slowed substantially, but still creeping down. Having to buy a new wardrobe, which is a lot of fun.

Comment

Last time I was headed to Costco, my wife requested a beef roast. Her plan was to do a crockpot meal and then use leftovers to make pot pie.

While at the Costco, I saw that the price per pound for chuck roast was nearly the same as for whole beef loin. I recollected reading here that someone buys that and cuts it into strip steaks. So I tried it. While I was getting ready to cut the steaks, my wife saw the price of the meat and was apprehensive. After dinner, my wife seemed pretty pleased with the results.

Thanks, CS.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      That is awesome!

I am lower than I have been in at least 15 years. My weight loss has slowed substantially, but still creeping down. Having to buy a new wardrobe, which is a lot of fun.
                      It's been a while since this post - how have you been doing? I've gained 5 pounds since lock down.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                        It's been a while since this post - how have you been doing? I've gained 5 pounds since lock down.
                        Up and down a few pounds but still wearing the same clothes! Thanks for asking.

A little worried about my quarantine eating.

Comment

I'd been using the sous vide for our beef entrees except for tri-tip which the smoker does superbly. But for our ribeye steaks this evening I went with the smoker and followed a slightly different procedure: I smoked them (lowest temp) for >30 minutes using oak pellets. Then pulled them off the grill and stoked the Traeger up to nearly 450 (about as high as it'll go), then put them back on for about 8-9 minutes a side. I had used a Montreal steak rub, and added a hefty slab of butter to top things off near the end of the sear (if we're throwing caloric caution to the wind, why not?). I wish I'd taken them off a little sooner (temps had hit 138), but they were still very moist, tender, and delish. Mrs. PAC was unusually effusive in her praise.

Sorry, no pics, but this really happened.

Comment

I bought a (loin?) roast from Costco the other day and put it in the freezer, planning to pull it out after two or three hours to cut it into NY strip steaks, package them into FoodSaver freezer bags, and freeze them for later consumption. Except I just left the roast in the freezer until yesterday when I transferred it to the refrigerator.

After splitting it into steaks, carving off the excess fat, and packaging them for freezing, I'm not sure it was worth the fuss. I might just go with the NY strip steaks next time instead.

My Victorinox Fibrox chef's knife did alright. Any other blade that does better at cutting up mostly frozen roasts?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              I bought a (loin?) roast from Costco the other day and put it in the freezer, planning to pull it out after two or three hours to cut it into NY strip steaks, package them into FoodSaver freezer bags, and freeze them for later consumption. Except I just left the roast in the freezer until yesterday when I transferred it to the refrigerator.

After splitting it into steaks, carving off the excess fat, and packaging them for freezing, I'm not sure it was worth the fuss. I might just go with the NY strip steaks next time instead.

My Victorinox Fibrox chef's knife did alright. Any other blade that does better at cutting up mostly frozen roasts?

bandsaw
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                bandsaw
                                Hmmm. That's probably true.

- Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X