Beef. It's what's for dinner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    Do you sear those when they're done in the sous vide, or is that only for steak?
    Will sear the one we eat. The three destined for sandwich meat will go straight into the fridge and be sliced up after they have chilled.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
      always sear after sous vide
      Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
      Will sear the one we eat. The three destined for sandwich meat will go straight into the fridge and be sliced up after they have chilled.
      Now I'm confused.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        Now I'm confused.
        i would still sear it because the grey color is gross.
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          i would still sear it because the grey color is gross.
          Will post a pic of the stack of sliced sous-vide beef tomorrow (maybe); trust me, you can't tell if the beef is seared or not after you slice it that thin (so thin you can't even see it!). But first I need to even up my wife's high heels.
          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Lately Costco has been selling USDA prime loins for $9.99/lb with $25 off per package. For a 15 lb. package that works out to around $8.33/lb which is a ridiculous price for prime grade. I bought a package yesterday and cut into NY strip steaks.

It is legit prime grade. Made 15 steaks. 3 are going in the sous vide today and the rest are vacuum sealed and are going in the freezer.

Cowboy, why are NY strip steaks so cheap lately?

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Shhhh!!! Don't spoil it. We've been getting nice thick steaks lately that cook up so tasty.

Comment

That looks delicious.
                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

That would make an awesome stir fry!
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                    That would make an awesome stir fry!
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

A couple of things are going on. First, cheap feed and lower prices are encouraging feeders to feed cattle longer and heavier. Heavier cattle are more likely to grade choice and prime, so there is more meat on the market, and more choice and prime meat proportionally.

Second, this is seasonally a time when middle meats (Ribeye and Loin) decline in value because the grilling season is over, as a rule, after Labor Day. Loins are particularly hard hit because Ribs are a dual purpose primal that is popular as a prime rib roast as well as a ribeye steak. This is evident in the cutout (wholesale beef price) that has dropped around 32 cents since June. By primal, though, the chuck and round, which are ground in the summer and sold as pot roasts and stew meat in the fall and winter, have declined only 10 cents and the value of the rib and loin have decreased by 40 cents and 70 cents respectively.

Finally, retailers are making more on beef than they ever have, so there is room to run on features for particular cuts. The wholesale value of beef is around $1.95/lb, while the weighted average retail value is $5.78. The cutout shows that packers are pricing loins to move - the average wholesale price for a loin is $2.40, which makes prime loins around $3-$3.50/lb wholesale. Retailers and probably buying the hell out of them at that price, taking a normal or slightly less than normal margin, and then featuring them as a sale. Retailers still make money, and consumers feel like they're getting a great deal because margins are so high on the other cuts.
                      sigpic
                      "Outlined against a blue, gray
                      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                        A couple of things are going on. First, cheap feed and lower prices are encouraging feeders to feed cattle longer and heavier. Heavier cattle are more likely to grade choice and prime, so there is more meat on the market, and more choice and prime meat proportionally.

Second, this is seasonally a time when middle meats (Ribeye and Loin) decline in value because the grilling season is over, as a rule, after Labor Day. Loins are particularly hard hit because Ribs are a dual purpose primal that is popular as a prime rib roast as well as a ribeye steak. This is evident in the cutout (wholesale beef price) that has dropped around 32 cents since June. By primal, though, the chuck and round, which are ground in the summer and sold as pot roasts and stew meat in the fall and winter, have declined only 10 cents and the value of the rib and loin have decreased by 40 cents and 70 cents respectively.

Finally, retailers are making more on beef than they ever have, so there is room to run on features for particular cuts. The wholesale value of beef is around $1.95/lb, while the weighted average retail value is $5.78. The cutout shows that packers are pricing loins to move - the average wholesale price for a loin is $2.40, which makes prime loins around $3-$3.50/lb wholesale. Retailers and probably buying the hell out of them at that price, taking a normal or slightly less than normal margin, and then featuring them as a sale. Retailers still make money, and consumers feel like they're getting a great deal because margins are so high on the other cuts.
                        Wow. Very interesting. Thanks.

Comment

Lately Costco has been selling USDA prime loins for $9.99/lb with $25 off per package. For a 15 lb. package that works out to around $8.33/lb which is a ridiculous price for prime grade. I bought a package yesterday and cut into NY strip steaks.

It is legit prime grade. Made 15 steaks. 3 are going in the sous vide today and the rest are vacuum sealed and are going in the freezer.

After cutting the steaks, I had a big chunk at the end of the loin so I vacuum sealed it and froze it in one big piece. Today we made it into a pot roast. It was incredible. So a USDA prime loin pot roast. High five to Katy Lied!

Comment

I bought four chuck rolls at Sam's Club for the Day of the Dead event tomorrow, and I got them for $3.37/lb. Beef is cheap right now. I was gonna just do half-assed al pastor, but with beef that cheap, we're gonna have some carne mechada legítima mañana.
                            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Shout out to KatyLied. MJ made fajitas out of prime steaks we got from Costco. To be fair, we grilled the steaks on Sunday so they are leftover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Shout out to KatyLied. MJ made fajitas out of prime steaks we got from Costco. To be fair, we grilled the steaks on Sunday so they are leftover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                First a new Accord, and now leftovers? I didn't realize things were so tough in the Moliere household.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X