LDS General Conference, October 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Up to my eyeballs in a work project. Not sure I will watch any sessions. Probably a first for me.
    I'm also working this weekend - EOY processing. I'll have the opportunity to watch the morning sessions, but then it is off to work I go

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

If you think church is nothing more than a group of people sitting around trying to project their best image, maybe you aren't the best one to comment on snark!
      First rule of CS, I'm never the best one to comment on anything. To be clear, I'm not advocating a change in LDS sacrament meetings, as fun as the above examples have been. I'm saying I've wondered for years if actually attending an AA style meeting might be, FOR ME, a more spiritual experience for the reasons listed. The guy who runs them in our stake is a fascinating guy who really embodies sincerity.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
        First rule of CS, I'm never the best one to comment on anything. To be clear, I'm not advocating a change in LDS sacrament meetings, as fun as the above examples have been. I'm saying I've wondered for years if actually attending an AA style meeting might be, FOR ME, a more spiritual experience for the reasons listed. The guy who runs them in our stake is a fascinating guy who really embodies sincerity.
        My daughter went to a lot of addiction recovery meetings as a missionary to work with members and investigators who were struggling. She enjoyed and it really opened her eyes. One of the benefits of missionary service. Gets you out of your bubble and makes you more empathetic.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
          I'm also working this weekend - EOY processing. I'll have the opportunity to watch the morning sessions, but then it is off to work I go
          I notice that you didn't say whether you would actually take the opportunity to watch.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
            My parents were facilitators for the church’s addiction recovery program for 5 years. My dad said the most spiritual experiences of his life were in some of those meetings.

Comment

If you think church is nothing more than a group of people sitting around trying to project their best image, maybe you aren't the best one to comment on snark!
              Seems like a pretty accurate description to me.
              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                Seems like a pretty accurate description to me.
                Stage 5 cynicism. Sad!
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Up to my eyeballs in a work project. Not sure I will watch any sessions. Probably a first for me.
                  Someone’s going to need to text me PHood updates then.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                    Someone’s going to need to text me PHood updates then.
                    To me too!

Comment

I rarely watch any of it. In the spring I'm busy calving and in the fall I'm trying to get cattle out of the high country. I can usually catch a session on the radio, and often make the Priesthood session, so I guess I do watch some of it. This year has been especially hectic, so I probably won't even make it tonight. Good luck.
                      sigpic
                      "Outlined against a blue, gray
                      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Elder Holland killed it.
                        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                          Elder Holland killed it.
                          Agreed.

Copelius, you're sounding good!

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                            Elder Holland killed it.
                            I agree. I didn't care for Elder Oak's talk.

The sister that spoke after Elder Utchdorf gave a fantastic talk as well.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                              I agree. I didn't care for Elder Oak's talk.

The sister that spoke after Elder Utchdorf gave a fantastic talk as well.
                              Somebody should let elder Oaks know. I bet he would have gone with a different topic had he known how unpopular his talk would be.
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                                Somebody should let elder Oaks know. I bet he would have gone with a different topic had he known how unpopular his talk would be.
                                He at least talked about both gay marriage and children born out of wedlock. The former isn't a problem, AFAIC. The latter is a huge problem and should be the entire focus of the discussion around the proclamation on the family. Unwed mothers is one of the biggest indicators of poverty and something needs to be done about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X