FBI Arrests Assistant Coaches at Arizona, Auburn, OK State and USC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
    The case against Chuck Person is a good example. He needed money and got hooked up with a "financial planner (i.e. fraudster)" that paid him to connect him with a player. Person then tells the player that this is the guy that you need to take care of your money and the kid says "I trust you 100%." Person then lies to the kid's mother that this guy is a guy that managed his and Charles Barkley's money when he was in the NBA. Person does not inquire as to whether the adviser has qualifications, abilities or can deliver any of the promised benefits ( he has been involved in schemes defrauding people for years, and he is an FBI informant).

That is the fraudulent element. If it were just NCAA stuff no biggie. These coaches are alleged to have used their positions to manipulate players and families to take actions with only their own bottom lines at heart.
    Cardiac see nothing wrong with this.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The case against Chuck Person is a good example. He needed money and got hooked up with a "financial planner (i.e. fraudster)" that paid him to connect him with a player. Person then tells the player that this is the guy that you need to take care of your money and the kid says "I trust you 100%." Person then lies to the kid's mother that this guy is a guy that managed his and Charles Barkley's money when he was in the NBA. Person does not inquire as to whether the adviser has qualifications, abilities or can deliver any of the promised benefits ( he has been involved in schemes defrauding people for years, and he is an FBI informant).

That is the fraudulent element. If it were just NCAA stuff no biggie. These coaches are alleged to have used their positions to manipulate players and families to take actions with only their own bottom lines at heart.
      I just read part of the ESPN article. That's definitely bad mojo.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
        I just read part of the ESPN article. That's definitely bad mojo.
        So this is nothing earth shattering, but looks like Nike is referenced as doing the same things Adidas was caught doing.

After the Louisville assistant left the hotel room, Dawkins and the others discussed the payment plan to the first recruit's family. He said that even though Adidas had agreed to pay him $100,000, a rival athletic apparel company was "coming with a higher number," and he needed to get more money from Adidas to secure the player's commitment to Louisville. Dawkins said he'd spoken to the second unnamed Louisville coach and told him, "I need you to call Jim Gatto, who's the head of everything" at Adidas' basketball program.
        http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...rds-corruption
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
          So this is nothing earth shattering, but looks like Nike is referenced as doing the same things Adidas was caught doing.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...rds-corruption
          I have no idea if Nike does or doesn't engage in this, I would suspect they do. However, I'd have a hard time arguing that your quoted part means Nike. Could be UA, could be Nike, could be a lie to negotiate more money or quicker payment.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            I have no idea if Nike does or doesn't engage in this, I would suspect they do. However, I'd have a hard time arguing that your quoted part means Nike. Could be UA, could be Nike, could be a lie to negotiate more money or quicker payment.
            Yeah, it's speculation on my part. But I do think Nike is the most logical assumption.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

My understanding is that this "financial planner" Marty Blazer, as part of his cooperation with the FBI, goes to Chuck Person wearing a wire and offers him $50K and then rolls from there.

Of course I totally agree that Chuck Person is a scumbag but this crime was created by the FBI and is entrapment it seems to me, not something that existed until the FBI sent Marty Blazer to Chuck Person with a wire. Is that incorrect?

I wonder what percentage of people in this country would turn down $50K for doing their recruiting job really well and passing along a little money from a shoe company. Still not a fan of this type of entrapment and prosecution. Sorry.

Comment

Jay Bilas gets it. Pay the players!

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...blems-continue

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                  My understanding is that this "financial planner" Marty Blazer, as part of his cooperation with the FBI, goes to Chuck Person wearing a wire and offers him $50K and then rolls from there.

Of course I totally agree that Chuck Person is a scumbag but this crime was created by the FBI and is entrapment it seems to me, not something that existed until the FBI sent Marty Blazer to Chuck Person with a wire. Is that incorrect?

I wonder what percentage of people in this country would turn down $50K for doing their recruiting job really well and passing along a little money from a shoe company. Still not a fan of this type of entrapment and prosecution. Sorry.
                  I'm no fan of entrapment, but what is alleged is that the clothier, Michel brought Blazer and Person together because Person needed money. Then Person used his influence to enrich himself with no diligence on behalf of an innocent kid to ensure that this person he was pushing was legit.

Comment

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Anyone care to predict which schools get dinged with the next round of arrests. The winner gets a prize to be determined by BYUMizzou. Prizes currently under consideration include $1 million, a round trip all-expenses paid trip to Fiji, or a virtual high five from BYUMizzou.

Comment

Originally posted by BYUMizzou View Post
                        Anyone care to predict which schools get dinged with the next round of arrests. The winner gets a prize to be determined by BYUMizzou. Prizes currently under consideration include $1 million, a round trip all-expenses paid trip to Fiji, or a virtual high five from BYUMizzou.
                        If there is a God in heaven, it will be Utah.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          For certain. Utah's coach has been filthy about buying athletes. Some of this will stick to them.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                            For certain. Utah's coach has been filthy about buying athletes. Some of this will stick to them.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                              Coach K’s main complaint was that he lost recruits to other schools who could pay more.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                You can't beat us so you try and tarnish our reputation. Sad.

Comment

Working...
                                X