FBI Arrests Assistant Coaches at Arizona, Auburn, OK State and USC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI Arrests Assistant Coaches at Arizona, Auburn, OK State and USC

Big corruption scandal regarding schools paying for recruits is breaking today in college basketball. The FBI made arrests of several assistant coaches at Arizona, Auburn, Oklahoma State and USC, with more arrests rumored for Louisville and South Carolina. Adidas is also involved and allegedly gives kickbacks to coaches to steer players to sign with them when they graduate.

The federal government dropped a bomb on college basketball Tuesday, indicting 10 men in a wide-spread fraud and bribery scheme involving top recruits, college programs, agents, financial planners and the shoe and apparel company Adidas.

It’s thorough. It’s ugly. It’s unprecedented.

“Fraud and corruption in the world of college basketball,” Joon H. Kim, Acting U.S. Attorney said at a news conference in Manhattan on Tuesday.

Assistant coaches at Arizona, Auburn, Oklahoma State and USC were all arrested and their programs are almost certainly in dire straights with both the Department of Justice (DOJ) and NCAA. The evidence here is based on an undercover FBI agent, wiretapped phones, recordings, written communication and financial transaction data. The feds win nearly every case for a reason. And the indicted haven’t even started flipping yet.

Also in the crossfire is so-called “University 2,” which in the complaints is described in a way that resembles the University of South Carolina and only the University of South Carolina – “a public research university located in South Carolina … with over 30,000 students …”

Then there is “University 6” which is described in a way that resembles the University of Louisville and only the University of Louisville, linking it to a $100,000 payout for one recruit and a potential $150,000 payout for another, all while on probation for a scandal involving using prostitutes to lure other recruits. “University 6” doesn’t appear to be in any legal trouble, yet, but the NCAA is another story.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/fbi-brings-...184524346.html
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

https://sports.yahoo.com/fbi-probe-u...144631716.html

Among the named defendants include former NBA star Chuck Person, an assistant at Auburn, as well as assistants Lamont Evans of Oklahoma State, Emanuel “Book” Richardson of Arizona and Tony Bland of USC. Adidas executive Jim Gatto is also named, as well as agents and financial planners.
    One case among many in the three complaints, which total nearly 200 pages, states Adidas’ Gatto, financial planner Munish Sood and agent Christian Dawkins “conspired to illicitly funnel approximately $100,000 from company-1 to the family of Player-10, an All-American high school basketball player; to assist one or more coaches at University-6, a school sponsored by Company-1, and to further ensure that Player-6 ultimately retained the services of Dawkins and Sood and signed with Company-1 upon entering the NBA.

“The bribe money was structured in a manner so to conceal it from the NCAA and officials at University-6 by among other things having Company-1 wire money to a third party consultants who them facilitated cash payments to Player-10s family.”
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

These are obviously NCAA violations - in what way are they illegal? Is there a law against a shoe company contracting with coaches and such to pay referral fees? Mavbe I should just read the article(s).
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Pat Forde calling for Louisville hoops to get the death penalty: https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-needs-...181930063.html

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          These are obviously NCAA violations - in what way are they illegal? Is there a law against a shoe company contracting with coaches and such to pay referral fees? Mavbe I should just read the article(s).
          Referral fees? I like the way you think, Baldy. You might make a good lawyer one day.

Each of the coaches is charged with bribery conspiracy, solicitation of bribes, honest services fraud conspiracy, honest service fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud and Travel Act conspiracy. The U.S. Department of Justice said each of the coaches faces a maximum sentence of 80 years in prison.
          In the second set of allegations, authorities say that James Gatto, on behalf of an unnamed "sportswear company," funneled "six-figure payments" to three players, who, in exchange, committed to play for particular college programs affiliated with the company. Gatto is the director of global sports marketing for Adidas.

This set of charges includes a reference to a "public research university located in Kentucky." University of Louisville interim president Gregory Postel confirmed in a statement it is the school mentioned.
          http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...-investigation

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            EDIT: Dang, I was a hack, partly.

The Feds can pretty much turn anything into a crime given the ubiquitous use of mail, phones, internet, and any form of communication other than carrier pigeon (unless the pigeon crosses state lines, in which case the Feds can nail your ass for a bunch of stuff).
            Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 09-26-2017, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
              Pat Forde calling for Louisville hoops to get the death penalty: https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-needs-...181930063.html
              Man, Louisville is going to get creamed.

But the U.S. Attorney’s release includes several pages that unmistakably paint a picture of Louisville as heavily involved in the scheme. As Joon H. Kim, the acting United States attorney for the Southern District of New York, said in a news conference Tuesday, “Google is an amazing thing.” In other words, you can use it to learn that the school described by the U.S. Attorney’s office as being a public research university in Kentucky with approximately 22,640 students is clearly Louisville. And Louisville, according to the feds, was the beneficiary of a $100,000 agreement to bring a star recruit into the program.

Connect the dots on that and the star player is Brian Bowen, a five-star prospect whose recruitment was unusual, meandering and much-delayed before he suddenly committed to Louisville on June 3.

The financial agreement to deliver Bowen to Louisville was reached “in or around May of 2017,” according to the release. It states: “At the request of at least one coach from [Louisville] … the defendants, and others agreed to funnel $100,000 [payable in four installments] from [Adidas] to the family of [Bowen].”

Furthermore, the feds allege that in a July 27 meeting in a Las Vegas hotel, a Louisville assistant was part of a discussion to pay a player from the class of 2019 to commit to the Cardinals. Part of the discussion was to note that the involved school “was already on probation with the NCAA” and that “they would have to be particularly careful with how they passed money” to the player.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I understand ESPN is predicting BYU will make the sweet sixteen because only twelve teams will be eligible after this inquest is done.
                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Top recruit last year Brian Bowen got $100,000 from Louisville. Think of all the players BYU could’ve got for that manuscript money!
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                    I understand ESPN is predicting BYU will make the sweet sixteen because only twelve teams will be eligible after this inquest is done.
                    LOL.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      Top recruit last year Brian Bowen got $100,000 from Louisville. Think of all the players BYU could’ve got for that manuscript money!
                      What, you think $35M is all we've got? Our relationship with Mammon is very cozy.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        What, you think $35M is all we've got? Our relationship with Mammon is very cozy.
                        I wish we would use some of that mammon to pay some custodians to clean the church buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                          I wish we would use some of that mammon to pay some custodians to clean the church buildings.
                          LOL. And take away an opportunity for members to serve? Stop it.

Comment

Looks like Pitino is about to lose his job

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...pects-lose-job

Really sad since he was completely shocked about these allegations. He was just as surprised as you and I.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                              Looks like Pitino is about to lose his job

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...pects-lose-job

Really sad since he was completely shocked about these allegations. He was just as surprised as you and I.
                              Pitino and AD Jurich "placed on administrative leave." Rumors are that Jurich was told to fire Pitino and he refused, so Jurich was let go as well. Pitino's contract states that he has to be given 10 days notice before being fired as well as the opportunity to present evidence on his behalf. Looks like that notice has been given.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...rich-put-leave

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X