Anthem Mania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
    I don't think it's a good argument. Stand, face the flag, and put your right hand over your heart. That's how you respect the flag and honor the vets who fought for it. I used to get pissed off when I'd watch athletes stand there with their hands at their side looking at anything but the flag, oftentimes their shoes. Kneeling was never a way to show honor in this respect.

There are worse ways to dishonor the flag such as burning and taking a dump on it. There are probably a few others. However, I have zero problem with those who take offense. There are other ways to effect social change rather than substituting social outrage for an act that honors those who fought and died for their country.
    triggered, snowflake!
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
      triggered, snowflake!
      Duh

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        What I don't get is what is their protest? What do they expect to see happen because of the protest? Socio-economic injustice? Racial profiling? What? Are they going to kneel until racism is wiped off the land? The protest is different than other pros tests that had specific goals (eliminate segregation, allow blacks to vote, etc). It's disjointed much like Occupy Wall Street and will end just as unsatisfactorily for all involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        If you truly don't know what their protest is, you haven't been paying attention. I agree that the effectiveness of it remains to be seen.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          Understood. I just don't have a problem with those who protest in a relatively benign way. And it's interesting to me that what really bugs people is, I presume, the fact they're protesting at all, not the manner in which they're doing so. For example, years ago I, along with several guys in dirty clothes, unwashed hair and smudged faces, burned the American flag. The OUTRAGE!, right? But the event occurred at the end of a long Acorn-training camping trip and we were retiring the colors after it had become threadbare from years of respectful use, with the ashes to be placed in a container with ashes of flags from around the country. OK, then that's just fine. But what if while it was burning I was thinking, Death to America!?

So are we condemning the act of kneeling, or what we believe they're thinking while they're doing so?
          Conservatives are feigning outrage because is helps them broadcast their signal that they love the country more than liberals. They signal that through their weird fascination with flags, the military and war. Of course, they seem to hate the idea of free speech when it's speech they don't agree with.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
            If you truly don't know what their protest is, you haven't been paying attention. I agree that the effectiveness of it remains to be seen.
            What are they protesting?

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

There have been 8 unarmed black men shot by police this year. The protest is a bunch of nonsense.
              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

What are they protesting?

Srsly?!?

Read the NYT article PAC posted above.

If you still aren't quite sure:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+are+nfl+players+protesting%3F
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                  There have been 8 unarmed black men shot by police this year. The protest is a bunch of nonsense.
                  Read this article:

http://www.tampabay.com/projects/201...ice-shootings/

~800 police shootings in Tampa Bay between 2009 and 2014, blacks shot outnumbered whites 340 to 330 (even though whites outnumber blacks 3 to 1 in that area). And the kicker, only one shooting cop was charged with a crime, which was later thrown out of court.

Argue the effectiveness of the protest all you want. But the impetus behind it is most certainly not nonsense.
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

Conservatives ... Of course, they seem to hate the idea of free speech when it's speech they don't agree with.
                    What are you talking about?

Comment

Srsly?!?

Read the NYT article PAC posted above.

If you still aren't quite sure:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+are+nfl+players+protesting%3F
                      Sorry, I'm not really following this story and from a disinterested persons vantage point the protest it makes no sense. Sit ins at segregated lunch counters make sense when you want desegregation. Same with sitting in a whites only section of a bus. Marching from Selma to Montgomery makes sense when protesting the right to vote (or lack of) since Montgomery is the state capital.

Kneeling during the national anthem draws attention, but it has no connection to police brutality. It's like me crapping on my boss's desk because someone was mean to my kid at school when they found out he was Mormon.

Comment

Originally posted by Crockett View Post
                        What are you talking about?
                        Exhibit A, from facebook today:

The lines are becoming clear: either you're on Team America, or you're not. If you still choose to watch NFL games after witnessing the vile anti-cop, anti-American, anti-Soldier protests these NFL players continue to display, then you’re just as anti-American as they are, and have no grounds to open your trap and complain about their protests.
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                          And therein lies the problem. I think a very substantial number of white people agree with you. Do you reject Eric Reid's statement that there is "systemic oppression against people of color, police brutality and [inequity in] the criminal justice system"? I'm not arguing one side or the other here, but it's fair to say that the country is widely spilt on whether the problems Reid cites are real and significant.

Comment

Sorry, I'm not really following this story and from a disinterested persons vantage point the protest it makes no sense. Sit ins at segregated lunch counters make sense when you want desegregation. Same with sitting in a whites only section of a bus. Marching from Selma to Montgomery makes sense when protesting the right to vote (or lack of) since Montgomery is the state capital.

Kneeling during the national anthem draws attention, but it has no connection to police brutality. It's like me crapping on my boss's desk because someone was mean to my kid at school when they found out he was Mormon.

Again, I am not arguing the effectiveness of the protest. But the reason behind it has been clear from the beginning, notwithstanding the talking heads dishonestly framing the argument as rich privileged players who hate America.
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

Again, I am not arguing the effectiveness of the protest. But the reason behind it has been clear from the beginning, notwithstanding the talking heads dishonestly framing the argument as rich privileged players who hate America.
                              My initial reaction to Kaepernick was negative, mainly because he was proving to be a bust for the Niners and it seemed wrong for a guy of color pulling down $11 Million a year as a benchwarmer to be complaining about social injustice.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                Understood. I just don't have a problem with those who protest in a relatively benign way. And it's interesting to me that what really bugs people is, I presume, the fact they're protesting at all, not the manner in which they're doing so. For example, years ago I, along with several guys in dirty clothes, unwashed hair and smudged faces, burned the American flag. The OUTRAGE!, right? But the event occurred at the end of a long Acorn-training camping trip and we were retiring the colors after it had become threadbare from years of respectful use, with the ashes to be placed in a container with ashes of flags from around the country. OK, then that's just fine. But what if while it was burning I was thinking, Death to America!?

So are we condemning the act of kneeling, or what we believe they're thinking while they're doing so?
                                Would this really be that much different if they were burning the US flag in protest? I don't think so. Same message, symbol, and intent, just a different scale. I would 100% support their right to burn the flag but it would be similarly divisive and similarly dumb.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X