No announcement yet.

Anthem Mania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love how Jerry Jones and the Cowboys ("America's Team") are making Sean Hannity's and Newt Gingrich's heads explode... Of course, the Cowboys, being the kind of good hearted people they are, did stand up during the national anthem.

I would love to see what would happen if NASCAR drivers start taking a knee.

BTW, it seems that God still smiles down upon His team even after they all took a knee.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      A president with genuine intelligence and a real understanding of the issue (and without question, Trump has neither) would be able to defuse this stupid issue and do much to unite the country. But in Trump's twisted, demagogic mind that would work against his number one goal--adoration from his base.

I like Eric Reid's explanation of why he and Kap did what they did:

It's weird that kneeling and bowing one's head is thought by Trumpians to be the worst form of disrespect.
      I really appreciated that article. It was well-written and heartfelt.

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
      It would be hypocritical of me to condemn the players.

I never stand for Rise and Shout. I am protesting the HC.
      Booooo! Booooo!
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

A president with genuine intelligence and a real understanding of the issue (and without question, Trump has neither) would be able to defuse this stupid issue and do much to unite the country. But in Trump's twisted, demagogic mind that would work against his number one goal--adoration from his base.

I like Eric Reid's explanation of why he and Kap did what they did:

Well, that is one way to characterize Kap. You can also characterize him (based on his tweets, public statements, etc.) as someone with poor judgment, a poor grasp of basic logic, and a questionable understanding of social issues. But he seems to be sincere. I will give him that.

It's weird that kneeling and bowing one's head is thought by Trumpians to be the worst form of disrespect.
        Really? You are surprised that people would be upset at a protest of the national anthem? I would be shocked if people weren't triggered by that.

Kap should have been ignored. Trump is an idiot.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Well, that is one way to characterize Kap. You can also characterize him (based on his tweets, public statements, etc.) as someone with poor judgment, a poor grasp of basic logic, and a questionable understanding of social issues. But he seems to be sincere. I will give him that.

Really? You are surprised that people would be upset at a protest of the national anthem? I would be shocked if people weren't triggered by that.

Kap should have been ignored. Trump is an idiot.
          Yes, yes, and yes. Kap is not the perfect spokesperson for social change, far from it. But even though we can criticize him or the exact impetus, he has started something positive. Some of the recent heartfelt interviews with players that are more 'acceptable' to the public at large resonated with me. I hope that whatever the circus surrounding the protests devolves into, that the awareness of social injustice increases amongst the citizens.

And yes, Trump is an idiot.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

http://www.dailywire.com/news/21561/...ck-ben-shapiro

Politics has become the art of forcing people into false binaries. It’s about suggesting that my political opponents are utterly unpalatable, and therefore no matter what I say, you must support me. This was the essence of 2016: both candidates made the same case along those lines.

But what happens when choices simply aren’t binary? What if we reduce American unity to a binary split for political gain?

That’s what we’re watching right now.
            These false choices make the country worse. They prevent us from reaching consensus. They prevent us from even discussing the issues. Instead of addressing issues one-by-one, we pick a hot button action and then interpret it through the lens of our own choosing. We don’t debate a la 12 Angry Men; we insist on our own points of view, a la Rashomon.

But that’s not the recipe for a successful republic. If we can’t agree on basic principles – the flag is worth standing for, and so is the First Amendment – then we won’t have a republic much longer.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Not surprised, just that it's weird. They're not spitting/stomping/peeing on the flag. They're not trying to drown out the anthem. One could fashion an argument that bowing one's head and kneeling is the ultimate sign of respect (not saying that's the protestors' intent, either).

Comment

Not surprised, just that it's weird. They're not spitting/stomping/peeing on the flag. They're not trying to drown out the anthem. One could fashion an argument that bowing one's head and kneeling is the ultimate sign of respect (not saying that's the protestors' intent, either).
                One could make that argument, but it's not very effective, particularly in this context. I've never heard of kneeling with one's head down as a way to address the flag during the playing of the national anthem (until Kaepernik changed his tune a bit). It is still a protest. Traditionally we stand in respect.
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                  One could make that argument, but it's not very effective, particularly in this context. I've never heard of kneeling with one's head down as a way to address the flag during the playing of the national anthem (until Kaepernik changed his tune a bit). It is still a protest. Traditionally we stand in respect.
                  I don't think it's a good argument. Stand, face the flag, and put your right hand over your heart. That's how you respect the flag and honor the vets who fought for it. I used to get pissed off when I'd watch athletes stand there with their hands at their side looking at anything but the flag, oftentimes their shoes. Kneeling was never a way to show honor in this respect.

There are worse ways to dishonor the flag such as burning and taking a dump on it. There are probably a few others. However, I have zero problem with those who take offense. There are other ways to effect social change rather than substituting social outrage for an act that honors those who fought and died for their country.

Comment

Yeah, if I was a Colts fan I would maybe burn my season tickets as well... but for other reasons:

Their win over cleveland was a fluke. Of course, they might beat seattle, however.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The Sunday night game ratings was the lowest NBC has had since Week 3 in 2006. And the matchup wasn't that bad (although the game wasn't particularly close by the 4th quarter), I was kind of intrigued by it. It also featured teams from the #6 and #7 largest media markets. Why the NFL is allowing this is baffling, I assume they don't fully understand the effect it's having. But if this continues, the NFL will deal with it. Look at what happens to these players every time the owners lock them out -- the owners get everything they want.
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                        The Sunday night game ratings was the lowest NBC has had since Week 3 in 2006. And the matchup wasn't that bad (although the game wasn't particularly close by the 4th quarter), I was kind of intrigued by it. It also featured teams from the #6 and #7 largest media markets. Why the NFL is allowing this is baffling, I assume they don't fully understand the effect it's having. But if this continues, the NFL will deal with it. Look at what happens to these players every time the owners lock them out -- the owners get everything they want.
                        The Cowboys can still pull them in... http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...up-for-week-3/

Cowboys-Cardinals got a 9.3 overnight rating for ESPN, easily the highest-rated Monday night game of the year. That came despite some talk that the controversy surrounding players kneeling during the national anthem would depress NFL ratings.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Last night I watched the first half of MNF. I turned it on right as they kicked off so I don't know what any of the teams did for the anthem and I frankly don't care (I'm an entitled middle aged white guy after all )

What I don't get is what is their protest? What do they expect to see happen because of the protest? Socio-economic injustice? Racial profiling? What? Are they going to kneel until racism is wiped off the land? The protest is different than other pros tests that had specific goals (eliminate segregation, allow blacks to vote, etc). It's disjointed much like Occupy Wall Street and will end just as unsatisfactorily for all involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            The Cowboys can still pull them in... http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...up-for-week-3/
                            The Week 3 Monday night game last year went up against the presidential debate. But if the networks had their say, they'd have the Cowboys on in primetime every week.
                            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              Last night I watched the first half of MNF. I turned it on right as they kicked off so I don't know what any of the teams did for the anthem and I frankly don't care (I'm an entitled middle aged white guy after all )

What I don't get is what is their protest? What do they expect to see happen because of the protest? Socio-economic injustice? Racial profiling? What? Are they going to kneel until racism is wiped off the land? The protest is different than other pros tests that had specific goals (eliminate segregation, allow blacks to vote, etc). It's disjointed much like Occupy Wall Street and will end just as unsatisfactorily for all involved.
                              I thought it was about getting the cheerleaders the same pay as the players get. I am all for that as long as it does raise the ticket prices.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                                Understood. I just don't have a problem with those who protest in a relatively benign way. And it's interesting to me that what really bugs people is, I presume, the fact they're protesting at all, not the manner in which they're doing so. For example, years ago I, along with several guys in dirty clothes, unwashed hair and smudged faces, burned the American flag. The OUTRAGE!, right? But the event occurred at the end of a long Acorn-training camping trip and we were retiring the colors after it had become threadbare from years of respectful use, with the ashes to be placed in a container with ashes of flags from around the country. OK, then that's just fine. But what if while it was burning I was thinking, Death to America!?

So are we condemning the act of kneeling, or what we believe they're thinking while they're doing so?

Comment

Working...
                                X