Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 236

Thread: The Saadfather Part II - The 2017-2018 NHL Season Thread

  1. #61

    Default

    I am only rooting for the Kings because Vegas fans don't yet understand how difficult winning a Stanley Cup actually is. Can you imagine how spoiled and annoying they will become if they win the Cup in their first season!? Right now their new-found fandom and learning of the rules is kinda cute, but cute will become insufferable if they actually win it.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

  2. #62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    I am only rooting for the Kings because Vegas fans don't yet understand how difficult winning a Stanley Cup actually is. Can you imagine how spoiled and annoying they will become if they win the Cup in their first season!? Right now their new-found fandom and learning of the rules is kinda cute, but cute will become insufferable if they actually win it.
    falafel is already an insufferable asshole. I can't imagine how much worse he would get if the Golden Knights won.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  3. #63
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    falafel is already an insufferable asshole. I can't imagine how much worse he would get if the Golden Knights won.
    Probably insufferably insufferable. But only to you and GM (unrelated to hockey).
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  4. #64
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    I am only rooting for the Kings because Vegas fans don't yet understand how difficult winning a Stanley Cup actually is. Can you imagine how spoiled and annoying they will become if they win the Cup in their first season!? Right now their new-found fandom and learning of the rules is kinda cute, but cute will become insufferable if they actually win it.
    Not any harder than any other sport, right? I'm a Jazz fan, so I know what its like to be close by never reach the promised land.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  5. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    I am only rooting for the Kings because Vegas fans don't yet understand how difficult winning a Stanley Cup actually is. Can you imagine how spoiled and annoying they will become if they win the Cup in their first season!? Right now their new-found fandom and learning of the rules is kinda cute, but cute will become insufferable if they actually win it.
    I will say there is one minor advantage that we shouldn't ignore if the Golden Knights did win one. Just think how aggravating it would be to the Blues fans if the Golden Knights won Lord Stanley's Cup?
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  6. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Not any harder than any other sport, right? I'm a Jazz fan, so I know what its like to be close by never reach the promised land.
    Yes it is harder than other sports. Thanks for proving that you don't understand hockey and are not deserving of enjoying your team winning Lord Stanley's Cup.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  7. #67
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Yes it is harder than other sports. Thanks for proving that you don't understand hockey and are not deserving of enjoying your team winning Lord Stanley's Cup.
    Oh, right. Its harder because its so slippery out there. I keep forgetting that part about hockle.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  8. #68

    Default The Saadfather Part II - The 2017-2018 NHL Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Not any harder than any other sport, right? I'm a Jazz fan, so I know what its like to be close by never reach the promised land.
    There are several reasons why a Stanley Cup is more difficult. It’s not to say that winning a championship game in any league isn’t incredibly challenging, but Hockey has some factors that give it special weight in my opinion.

    1. Physicality combined with length of season and playoff run. Winning the SC is often a battle of attrition.

    2. Hard cap on salaries (no luxury tax allowed) you can’t buy your championship.

    3. Combine a hard cap with a requirement for depth (aside from goalie your best players will play 30-40% of the game unless you are named Duncan Kieth) and building a team with the necessary depth of a playoff run becomes incredibly difficult.

    4. Playoff hockey can be incredibly physically taxing. There are no shoot outs in overtime and all 5 skaters remain on the ice. 2 and 3 overtimes in the playoffs are not uncommon. There is nothing like overtime playoff Hockey. It’s taken years off my life but they are years happily given.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

  9. #69
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    There are several reasons why a Stanley Cup is more difficult. It’s not to say that winning a championship game in any league isn’t incredibly challenging, but Hockey has some factors that give it special weight in my opinion.

    1. Physicality combined with length of season and playoff run. Winning the SC is often a battle of attrition.

    2. Hard cap on salaries (no luxury tax allowed) you can’t buy your championship.

    3. Combine a hard cap with a requirement for depth (aside from goalie your best players will play 30-40% of the game unless you are named Duncan Kieth) and building a team with the necessary depth of a playoff run becomes incredibly difficult.

    4. Playoff hockey can be incredibly physically taxing. There are no shoot outs in overtime and all 5 skaters remain on the ice. 2 and 3 overtimes in the playoffs are not uncommon. There is nothing like overtime playoff Hockey. It’s taken years off my life but they are years happily given.
    I understand that hockey is a very physical sport with a long season. I understand that there are some unique (but maybe not that unique) roster and salary cap constraints. But those things apply to every team in the league. So relatively speaking, its not any more difficult for one team to win than it is for another.

    When I disputed Funk's claim that Knights fans would think winning a Stanley Cup is easy if Vegas won this year, my point was that its not easy to win a championship in any major American sport. I'm not convinced its "easier" to win a Super Bowl than a Stanley Cup. I'm not convinced its "easier" to win the World Series than to win the Stanley Cup. If your point is that it takes a special combination of strength, toughness and endurance to be a professional hockey player, I guess I can see your argument. But each sport has its own combination of unique physical requirements to play that sport at a high level.
    Last edited by falafel; 04-10-2018 at 07:23 PM.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  10. #70

    Default

    Ok yeah I guess it depends on what you believe makes winning most difficult for the people that are trying to do it. You can’t buy a championship in the NHL like you can in baseball or basketball to a lesser extent. You play way more playoff games than football to win it. You only have to win 4 playoff games to win it in football. The only comparable argument is basketball and then it comes down to whether you think it is easier to acquire superstars or build a team that is 20 players deep with a hard cap.

    It’s a matter of opinion at that point. Mix in the physicality and the player attrition due to injuries and my personal belief is that the Stanley Cup is the most difficult.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

  11. #71
    Board eye candy beefytee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lehi
    Posts
    4,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    Ok yeah I guess it depends on what you believe makes winning most difficult for the people that are trying to do it. You can’t buy a championship in the NHL like you can in baseball or basketball to a lesser extent. You play way more playoff games than football to win it. You only have to win 4 playoff games to win it in football. The only comparable argument is basketball and then it comes down to whether you think it is easier to acquire superstars or build a team that is 20 players deep with a hard cap.

    It’s a matter of opinion at that point. Mix in the physicality and the player attrition due to injuries and my personal belief is that the Stanley Cup is the most difficult.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's so many things that come to chance in hockey. In basketball, with so many possessions and points a game, it is very likely that the better team will win. One screw up isn't likely to lose the game like it will in hockey.

    I don't think there is much doubt that going into the playoffs, hockey is the most unpredictable of the major sports.

  12. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Yes it is harder than other sports. Thanks for proving that you don't understand hockey and are not deserving of enjoying your team winning Lord Stanley's Cup.
    This is a load of shit. Winning an NBA Championship is significantly more difficult than winning a Stanley Cup. See if 35 of the past 38 Stanley Cup finals involved one or more of only six players -- like Magic, Jordan, Hakeem, Duncan, Kobe and LeBron dominated the NBA since the 1980 Finals. They have 26 of the last 38 rings. Bird, Isaiah Thomas, Dwyane Wade, Steph Curry, Kevin Garnett, Moses Malone and Dirk Nowitzki have 11 more. There is literally one champion team from the last 38 that didn't have a top 30 player of all time, the 2004 Pistons.

    And many of those teams had two top 30 players, Kareem, Shaq, Wade with Lebron, Durant with Curry, Pippen with Jordan, Dr. J with Malone.

    In contrast, some marginal franchise, like Nashville last year, barely makes the playoffs, gets hot, and almost wins the Stanley Cup. That basically almost never happens in the NBA.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  13. #73
    Board eye candy beefytee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lehi
    Posts
    4,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    This is a load of shit. Winning an NBA Championship is significantly more difficult than winning a Stanley Cup. See if 35 of the past 38 Stanley Cup finals involved one or more of only six players -- like Magic, Jordan, Hakeem, Duncan, Kobe and LeBron dominated the NBA since the 1980 Finals. They have 26 of the last 38 rings. Bird, Isaiah Thomas, Dwyane Wade, Steph Curry, Kevin Garnett, Moses Malone and Dirk Nowitzki have 11 more. There is literally one champion team from the last 38 that didn't have a top 30 player of all time, the 2004 Pistons.

    And many of those teams had two top 30 players, Kareem, Shaq, Wade with Lebron, Durant with Curry, Pippen with Jordan, Dr. J with Malone.

    In contrast, some marginal franchise, like Nashville last year, barely makes the playoffs, gets hot, and almost wins the Stanley Cup. That basically almost never happens in the NBA.
    You say it is harder because you need that one (maybe 2) all star player. Totally makes sense.

  14. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    This is a load of shit. Winning an NBA Championship is significantly more difficult than winning a Stanley Cup. See if 35 of the past 38 Stanley Cup finals involved one or more of only six players -- like Magic, Jordan, Hakeem, Duncan, Kobe and LeBron dominated the NBA since the 1980 Finals. They have 26 of the last 38 rings. Bird, Isaiah Thomas, Dwyane Wade, Steph Curry, Kevin Garnett, Moses Malone and Dirk Nowitzki have 11 more. There is literally one champion team from the last 38 that didn't have a top 30 player of all time, the 2004 Pistons.

    And many of those teams had two top 30 players, Kareem, Shaq, Wade with Lebron, Durant with Curry, Pippen with Jordan, Dr. J with Malone.

    In contrast, some marginal franchise, like Nashville last year, barely makes the playoffs, gets hot, and almost wins the Stanley Cup. That basically almost never happens in the NBA.
    If you think the Preds last year was a marginal team that just got hot, you have proven you don't know hockey. That Preds team was stacked and just underachieved in the regular season.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  15. #75
    Major disappointment The_Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,501

    Default

    That sucked.

    Can't say I didn't see that coming though. I was surprised by the sweep, but not shocked.

    I'll be rooting for LV. Feel good story.

  16. #76
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    8,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    That sucked.

    Can't say I didn't see that coming though. I was surprised by the sweep, but not shocked.

    I'll be rooting for LV. Feel good story.
    Kings need to find more scoring for next year. Terrible offensive output for a series.

  17. #77
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    I am only rooting for the Kings because Vegas fans don't yet understand how difficult winning a Stanley Cup actually is. Can you imagine how spoiled and annoying they will become if they win the Cup in their first season!? Right now their new-found fandom and learning of the rules is kinda cute, but cute will become insufferable if they actually win it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Yes it is harder than other sports. Thanks for proving that you don't understand hockey and are not deserving of enjoying your team winning Lord Stanley's Cup.
    Hmm, seems pretty easy so far.
    Last edited by falafel; 04-18-2018 at 03:31 PM.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  18. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Hmm, seems pretty easy so far.
    haha....
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

  19. #79
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,058

    Default

    OK now the GK's have to win it... this thread is going to be solid gold, I can tell already!
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  20. #80
    Invisible Swordsman DrumNFeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knee Deep in the Hoopla
    Posts
    8,846

    Default

    Caps fight back from down 0-2 to take the series from Columbus in 6. Now the Caps square off against the Penguins, where they've won all but nine of the previous ten series against the Pens...so optimism is real high right now.

    As an aside, I can't believe the BlackHawks traded Artemi Panarin, that kid can play.
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  21. #81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Caps fight back from down 0-2 to take the series from Columbus in 6. Now the Caps square off against the Penguins, where they've won all but nine of the previous ten series against the Pens...so optimism is real high right now.

    As an aside, I can't believe the BlackHawks traded Artemi Panarin, that kid can play.
    yeah I like Saad and all, but that was a mistake.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

  22. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    yeah I like Saad and all, but that was a mistake.
    It was a mistake, but I'm not sure how the Blackhawks would have kept him. He is going to get paid. I'm think his next contract will be a minimum of 8 million AAV. That damn Seabrook contact. Seriously, that damn contract.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  23. #83
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Hmm, seems pretty easy so far.
    Bump.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  24. #84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Bump.
    ha yeah. Its certainly easy when the biggest choking team in the history of the NHL gives you roughly 30 penalty minutes...are you watching? The games (with the exception of last night) have been incredibly entertaining. You guys have something special going, but I wonder if you even realize it
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

  25. #85
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    ha yeah. Its certainly easy when the biggest choking team in the history of the NHL gives you roughly 30 penalty minutes...are you watching? The games (with the exception of last night) have been incredibly entertaining. You guys have something special going, but I wonder if you even realize it
    I am watching some, but not all. I still haven't figured out the local TV situation. I seem to be getting blacked out on some games. I didn't watch last night because I was working late.

    You are right that I don't know how good the team is, really. Other than stats and numbers, I don't have much to compare the team's performance against. But there are a lot of serious hockey fans here, and the city has totally jumped in with both feet. T-Mobile is a really fun place to watch a game.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  26. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I am watching some, but not all. I still haven't figured out the local TV situation. I seem to be getting blacked out on some games. I didn't watch last night because I was working late.

    You are right that I don't know how good the team is, really. Other than stats and numbers, I don't have much to compare the team's performance against. But there are a lot of serious hockey fans here, and the city has totally jumped in with both feet. T-Mobile is a really fun place to watch a game.
    Blackouts applied in the first round for everyone who doesn’t have the ATT Comcast channel. Last night’s game on NBC Sports was not blacked out.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  27. #87
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Blackouts applied in the first round for everyone who doesn’t have the ATT Comcast channel. Last night’s game on NBC Sports was not blacked out.
    I've got YouTube TV as my primary tv option. I just click "Vegas Golden Knights" and it records all the games that I have access to. Hopefully I get the rest of the games.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  28. #88
    Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,050

    Default The Saadfather Part II - The 2017-2018 NHL Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Blackouts applied in the first round for everyone who doesn’t have the ATT Comcast channel. Last night’s game on NBC Sports was not blacked out.
    Why the blackout? The game is obviously sold out. I would assume it is one of the more expensive tickets for a sporting event -that wasn’t a title fight - in Vegas history

  29. #89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I am watching some, but not all. I still haven't figured out the local TV situation. I seem to be getting blacked out on some games. I didn't watch last night because I was working late.

    You are right that I don't know how good the team is, really. Other than stats and numbers, I don't have much to compare the team's performance against. But there are a lot of serious hockey fans here, and the city has totally jumped in with both feet. T-Mobile is a really fun place to watch a game.
    You don't deserve to enjoy watching a team win the Stanley Cup. You really really don't deserve it.

    The real test for the Golden Knights is going to come with the Predators. That team is damn good. The Golden Knights will get past the Sharks and it might be easy. The Predators are going to be really tough.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  30. #90
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    You don't deserve to enjoy watching a team win the Stanley Cup. You really really don't deserve it.

    The real test for the Golden Knights is going to come with the Predators. That team is damn good. The Golden Knights will get past the Sharks and it might be easy. The Predators are going to be really tough.
    When the VGK win Lord Stanley's Cup, I will buy whatever your most very favorite craft beer in the whole world is and then pour it down the drain.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •