Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Saadfather Part II - The 2017-2018 NHL Season Thread

Default The Saadfather Part II - The 2017-2018 NHL Season Thread

I don't care if it is the preseason, it always nice to kick the asses of the Detroit Red Wings. May those mother fuckers never see the playoffs again.

Saad with a hat trick against the Red Wings.

20131211_1512151.jpg
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

In retrospect, I wonder if I should have gone with the "The Saadfather Part II. The 2017-2018 NHL Season Thread."

Either way, Saad is awesome.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    In retrospect, I wonder if I should have gone with the "The Saadfather Part II. The 2017-2018 NHL Season Thread."

Either way, Saad is awesome.
    Let me know, I can change it.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Let me know, I can change it.
    Thank you. I will leave the decision in the capable hands of Flystripper when he finally shows up here.
    --SeattleUte

NHL rules that Hossa is eligible for LTIR. If would have killed the franchise if this approval had not been given. I'm curious if StanBo will use the cap space immediately, or if he will wait to assess the needs of the franchise midseason.

No matter what though, we are not going to be able to use the space to get a player of Hossa's caliber. The NHL just isn't the same with the DemiGod.
    --SeattleUte

"The Saadfather Part II. The 2017-2018 NHL Season Thread." wins
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

NHL rules that Hossa is eligible for LTIR. If would have killed the franchise if this approval had not been given. I'm curious if StanBo will use the cap space immediately, or if he will wait to assess the needs of the franchise midseason.

No matter what though, we are not going to be able to use the space to get a player of Hossa's caliber. The NHL just isn't the same with the DemiGod.
    Love having Saad back, but I am very concerned about the team this season. I think there will be a step backwards unless StanBo can work some magic with the LTIR. While its fun having Saad and Sharp back, losing Panerin, Hossa, Hammer and TVR is a MAJOR problem. Our hopes ride on Hartman and Schmatlz forgetting about their post-season slump and picking up where they left off last year in the regular season. We can't afford them to stand pat let alone regress a bit. The blue line has the potential to be a fucking disaster. How long can we rely on Keith to log the minutes that he logs and if there is an injury....forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    "The Saadfather Part II. The 2017-2018 NHL Season Thread." wins
    Dude, make the change.
    --SeattleUte

Love having Saad back, but I am very concerned about the team this season. I think there will be a step backwards unless StanBo can work some magic with the LTIR. While its fun having Saad and Sharp back, losing Panerin, Hossa, Hammer and TVR is a MAJOR problem. Our hopes ride on Hartman and Schmatlz forgetting about their post-season slump and picking up where they left off last year in the regular season. We can't afford them to stand pat let alone regress a bit. The blue line has the potential to be a fucking disaster. How long can we rely on Keith to log the minutes that he logs and if there is an injury....forget about it.
    I'm not optimistic about this season. I think we are basically in the Penguins from a couple years ago model right now. We need to let the cap rise to allow depth to be built around our 2 large contracts. As long as Kane/Toews are taking such a huge percentage of the cap, we are going to have problems. The cap needs another 5-10 million on it before I think we can contend again.

I like bringing in Cody Franson on a cheap deal. I also like bringing in Bickell for a 1-day contract to let him retire as a Blackhawk.
    --SeattleUte

Dude, make the change.
    Done!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Invisible Swordsman DrumNFeather's Avatar

I fully expect the Caps to once again rip through the regular season. After that, we'll see.
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I fully expect the Caps to once again rip through the regular season. After that, we'll see.
    I fully expect the Islanders to limp along and barely make or barely miss the playoffs. After that, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I fully expect the Islanders to limp along and barely make or barely miss the playoffs. After that, we'll see.
    I fully expect to not watch a single NHL game this season, but still read most every post in this thread for some inexplicable reason. After that, we'll see.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Go Kings Go!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    Go Kings Go!
    Go Kopitar yourself
    --SeattleUte

Alright, time to actually dig into the Blackhawks roster and lines. It isn't nearly as pretty as years past, but I think this is still a playoff team. It would take some miracles form Hartman, Schmaltz, and DeBrincat to win the cup.

Saad-Toews-Panik. The top line is pretty much set. I don't think the Blackhawks brought Saad back for anything other than pair him with Toews. It is a lot to ask Panik to play on the top line again, but there isn't any real choice without consolidating talent too much. I do expect there to be times where the Q-Stache employs the nuclear option and puts Kane on this line.

DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Kane. I think you have to roll the dice with DeBrincat playing on a line with Kane. He has the most potential to recreate what happened with Panarin, not that I expect anything Panarin-like from DeBrincat. You also have a big question of the center. Ansimov is definitely better, but Schmaltz has the greater potential. I like the idea of pairing Kane with the two young players and seeing what happens. It is pretty concerning to see this many young players in the top 6. What will concern me is if we end up with a Sharp-Ansimov-Kane line

Sharp-Ansimov-Hartman. Love Sharp back on the team on the 3rd line, hate it if he ends up playing on the top 2 lines

4th line. Who the fuck knows at this point. Depth is a serious problem

I'm not going to get into the defense, too depressing right now.
    --SeattleUte

Alright, time to actually dig into the Blackhawks roster and lines. It isn't nearly as pretty as years past, but I think this is still a playoff team. It would take some miracles form Hartman, Schmaltz, and DeBrincat to win the cup.

Saad-Toews-Panik. The top line is pretty much set. I don't think the Blackhawks brought Saad back for anything other than pair him with Toews. It is a lot to ask Panik to play on the top line again, but there isn't any real choice without consolidating talent too much. I do expect there to be times where the Q-Stache employs the nuclear option and puts Kane on this line.

DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Kane. I think you have to roll the dice with DeBrincat playing on a line with Kane. He has the most potential to recreate what happened with Panarin, not that I expect anything Panarin-like from DeBrincat. You also have a big question of the center. Ansimov is definitely better, but Schmaltz has the greater potential. I like the idea of pairing Kane with the two young players and seeing what happens. It is pretty concerning to see this many young players in the top 6. What will concern me is if we end up with a Sharp-Ansimov-Kane line

Sharp-Ansimov-Hartman. Love Sharp back on the team on the 3rd line, hate it if he ends up playing on the top 2 lines

4th line. Who the fuck knows at this point. Depth is a serious problem

I'm not going to get into the defense, too depressing right now.
    seems about right.

Kings home opener tonight!

Also...Conner McDavid is good. Man that was a great game last night.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    Kings home opener tonight!

Also...Conner McDavid is good. Man that was a great game last night.
    better than good. we are witnessing the next all-time great

better than good. we are witnessing the next all-time great
    There is a reason he got a 12.5 million dollar per year contract.
    --SeattleUte

Yeah. Good good.

The Edmonton AHL team is in Bakersfield, so they have become my 2nd team as we get to see quite a bit of their farm system roll through here.

The Saadfather with a Hat trick opening night. If only they could all be that easy.
    Last edited by Flystripper; 10-05-2017 at 09:56 PM.

The Saadfather with a Hat trick opening night. If only they could all be that easy.
    I'd even take a few 5-1 easy beat downs. They don't all have to be 10-1 destroying of the other team.

What a great way to start the season, beating those Penguin assholes like that.

Kane's first 2 assists in that game were unreal.

8 points for Hartman and Schmaltz. If we get production from those 2 players we may just have the depth to do some damage this year.
    --SeattleUte

Blackhawks win again. 5-1. So far so good. I know it is early but wow. they are dominant so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackhawks win again. 5-1. So far so good. I know it is early but wow. they are dominant so far.

Going to get to see them up close in a week or so when they play the Golden Knights.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I'm trying not to get too excited about only 2 games into the season. The Pens and Blue Jackets are both very good teams, but we got a favor getting both coming off back-to-back games and having backup goalies in net.

It is still encouraging to see some life out of the offense that shit the bed against the Predators last year in the playoffs.

I'm really worried about the Leafs tonight and the test that they are going to give our defense.
    --SeattleUte

So far so good!

ESAD, Blackhawks.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

I went to my first NHL game last Saturday. Traveling Blackhawks fans made it an effing home game for Chicago. They won 4-2 and groups of them were out chanting here we go blackhawks, etc after the game. I made it a point to make some of the groups mad by interrupting their chant with a sudden jarring coyote howl (the trademark cheer for the Phoenix Coyotes). Some of em got legit mad. These assholes are serious about hockey.
    Last edited by Commando; 10-25-2017 at 08:47 AM.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    I went to my first NHL game last Saturday. Traveling Blackhawks fans made it an effing home game for Chicago. They won 4-2 and groups of them were out chanting here we go blackhawks, etc after the game. I made it a point to make some of the groups mad by interrupting their chant with a sudden jarring coyote howl (the trademark cheer for the Phoenix Coyotes). Some of em got legit mad. These assholes are serious about hockey.
    I'm still mad about that Hjammer trade. You guys get one of the most consistently underrated defensiveman in the league and we have some guy who keeps being a healthy scratch.
    --SeattleUte