No announcement yet.

The Saadfather Part II - The 2017-2018 NHL Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am only rooting for the Kings because Vegas fans don't yet understand how difficult winning a Stanley Cup actually is. Can you imagine how spoiled and annoying they will become if they win the Cup in their first season!? Right now their new-found fandom and learning of the rules is kinda cute, but cute will become insufferable if they actually win it.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
      I am only rooting for the Kings because Vegas fans don't yet understand how difficult winning a Stanley Cup actually is. Can you imagine how spoiled and annoying they will become if they win the Cup in their first season!? Right now their new-found fandom and learning of the rules is kinda cute, but cute will become insufferable if they actually win it.
      falafel is already an insufferable asshole. I can't imagine how much worse he would get if the Golden Knights won.
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
        falafel is already an insufferable asshole. I can't imagine how much worse he would get if the Golden Knights won.
        Probably insufferably insufferable. But only to you and GM (unrelated to hockey).
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Not any harder than any other sport, right? I'm a Jazz fan, so I know what its like to be close by never reach the promised land.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I will say there is one minor advantage that we shouldn't ignore if the Golden Knights did win one. Just think how aggravating it would be to the Blues fans if the Golden Knights won Lord Stanley's Cup?
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
              Not any harder than any other sport, right? I'm a Jazz fan, so I know what its like to be close by never reach the promised land.
              Yes it is harder than other sports. Thanks for proving that you don't understand hockey and are not deserving of enjoying your team winning Lord Stanley's Cup.
              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Yes it is harder than other sports. Thanks for proving that you don't understand hockey and are not deserving of enjoying your team winning Lord Stanley's Cup.
                Oh, right. Its harder because its so slippery out there. I keep forgetting that part about hockle.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The Saadfather Part II - The 2017-2018 NHL Season Thread

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  There are several reasons why a Stanley Cup is more difficult. It’s not to say that winning a championship game in any league isn’t incredibly challenging, but Hockey has some factors that give it special weight in my opinion.

1. Physicality combined with length of season and playoff run. Winning the SC is often a battle of attrition.

2. Hard cap on salaries (no luxury tax allowed) you can’t buy your championship.

3. Combine a hard cap with a requirement for depth (aside from goalie your best players will play 30-40% of the game unless you are named Duncan Kieth) and building a team with the necessary depth of a playoff run becomes incredibly difficult.

4. Playoff hockey can be incredibly physically taxing. There are no shoot outs in overtime and all 5 skaters remain on the ice. 2 and 3 overtimes in the playoffs are not uncommon. There is nothing like overtime playoff Hockey. It’s taken years off my life but they are years happily given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are several reasons why a Stanley Cup is more difficult. It’s not to say that winning a championship game in any league isn’t incredibly challenging, but Hockey has some factors that give it special weight in my opinion.

1. Physicality combined with length of season and playoff run. Winning the SC is often a battle of attrition.

2. Hard cap on salaries (no luxury tax allowed) you can’t buy your championship.

3. Combine a hard cap with a requirement for depth (aside from goalie your best players will play 30-40% of the game unless you are named Duncan Kieth) and building a team with the necessary depth of a playoff run becomes incredibly difficult.

4. Playoff hockey can be incredibly physically taxing. There are no shoot outs in overtime and all 5 skaters remain on the ice. 2 and 3 overtimes in the playoffs are not uncommon. There is nothing like overtime playoff Hockey. It’s taken years off my life but they are years happily given.
                    I understand that hockey is a very physical sport with a long season. I understand that there are some unique (but maybe not that unique) roster and salary cap constraints. But those things apply to every team in the league. So relatively speaking, its not any more difficult for one team to win than it is for another.

When I disputed Funk's claim that Knights fans would think winning a Stanley Cup is easy if Vegas won this year, my point was that its not easy to win a championship in any major American sport. I'm not convinced its "easier" to win a Super Bowl than a Stanley Cup. I'm not convinced its "easier" to win the World Series than to win the Stanley Cup. If your point is that it takes a special combination of strength, toughness and endurance to be a professional hockey player, I guess I can see your argument. But each sport has its own combination of unique physical requirements to play that sport at a high level.
                    Last edited by falafel; 04-10-2018, 07:23 PM.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Ok yeah I guess it depends on what you believe makes winning most difficult for the people that are trying to do it. You can’t buy a championship in the NHL like you can in baseball or basketball to a lesser extent. You play way more playoff games than football to win it. You only have to win 4 playoff games to win it in football. The only comparable argument is basketball and then it comes down to whether you think it is easier to acquire superstars or build a team that is 20 players deep with a hard cap.

It’s a matter of opinion at that point. Mix in the physicality and the player attrition due to injuries and my personal belief is that the Stanley Cup is the most difficult.

Comment

Ok yeah I guess it depends on what you believe makes winning most difficult for the people that are trying to do it. You can’t buy a championship in the NHL like you can in baseball or basketball to a lesser extent. You play way more playoff games than football to win it. You only have to win 4 playoff games to win it in football. The only comparable argument is basketball and then it comes down to whether you think it is easier to acquire superstars or build a team that is 20 players deep with a hard cap.

It’s a matter of opinion at that point. Mix in the physicality and the player attrition due to injuries and my personal belief is that the Stanley Cup is the most difficult.

There's so many things that come to chance in hockey. In basketball, with so many possessions and points a game, it is very likely that the better team will win. One screw up isn't likely to lose the game like it will in hockey.

I don't think there is much doubt that going into the playoffs, hockey is the most unpredictable of the major sports.

Comment

This is a load of shit. Winning an NBA Championship is significantly more difficult than winning a Stanley Cup. See if 35 of the past 38 Stanley Cup finals involved one or more of only six players -- like Magic, Jordan, Hakeem, Duncan, Kobe and LeBron dominated the NBA since the 1980 Finals. They have 26 of the last 38 rings. Bird, Isaiah Thomas, Dwyane Wade, Steph Curry, Kevin Garnett, Moses Malone and Dirk Nowitzki have 11 more. There is literally one champion team from the last 38 that didn't have a top 30 player of all time, the 2004 Pistons.

And many of those teams had two top 30 players, Kareem, Shaq, Wade with Lebron, Durant with Curry, Pippen with Jordan, Dr. J with Malone.

In contrast, some marginal franchise, like Nashville last year, barely makes the playoffs, gets hot, and almost wins the Stanley Cup. That basically almost never happens in the NBA.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                            This is a load of shit. Winning an NBA Championship is significantly more difficult than winning a Stanley Cup. See if 35 of the past 38 Stanley Cup finals involved one or more of only six players -- like Magic, Jordan, Hakeem, Duncan, Kobe and LeBron dominated the NBA since the 1980 Finals. They have 26 of the last 38 rings. Bird, Isaiah Thomas, Dwyane Wade, Steph Curry, Kevin Garnett, Moses Malone and Dirk Nowitzki have 11 more. There is literally one champion team from the last 38 that didn't have a top 30 player of all time, the 2004 Pistons.

And many of those teams had two top 30 players, Kareem, Shaq, Wade with Lebron, Durant with Curry, Pippen with Jordan, Dr. J with Malone.

In contrast, some marginal franchise, like Nashville last year, barely makes the playoffs, gets hot, and almost wins the Stanley Cup. That basically almost never happens in the NBA.
                            You say it is harder because you need that one (maybe 2) all star player. Totally makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post

If you think the Preds last year was a marginal team that just got hot, you have proven you don't know hockey. That Preds team was stacked and just underachieved in the regular season.
                              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

That sucked.

Can't say I didn't see that coming though. I was surprised by the sweep, but not shocked.

I'll be rooting for LV. Feel good story.

Comment

Working...
                                X