Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Saadfather Part II - The 2017-2018 NHL Season Thread

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Or you could watch some highlights of the game.
    Why would I do that when you know-it-alls could discern the good from the bad?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    I continue to be confused about why the Lightning can't put it all together in the Stanley Cup playoffs. After the 2015 finals, I was pretty confident that was the team to beat in the NHL for several years to come. It got even worse when that asshole Red Wing GM got team friendly deals from Stamkos and Hedman.
    Weird that they can't win at home but won on the road.

More importantly are you a convert to the Golden Knights fan club?

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Invisible Swordsman DrumNFeather's Avatar

The Caps dominated games 1-2 in Tampa and are now 7-1 on the road in these playoffs. They outworked Tampa in every phase of the game the first two games. In game 3 last night, that was not the case. The Caps essentially laid an egg after many in the media in DC declared the series over...apparently they've forgotten what the last 20 years of DC sports have looked like. Here's hoping they can get back on track in game 4.
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Weird that they can't win at home but won on the road.

More importantly are you a convert to the Golden Knights fan club?
    As long as falafel is a part of the Golden Knights fan club, I will not be participating as part of that club.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Hockey 101 with Snoop Dogg, well worth watching.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.

Pre-Historic Man

As long as falafel is a part of the Golden Knights fan club, I will not be participating as part of that club.
    Falafel is a good dude; he just doesn't like to play nice on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Falafel is a good dude; he just doesn't like to play nice on tv.
    C'mon funk, I'll let you hometeach me while you watch the game at my house.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Good thing the GK's have Fleury, I haven't seen the Jets play much this year but they are really good. With Laine and Scheifele they will be a solid team for a long time.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Good thing the GK's have Fleury, I haven't seen the Jets play much this year but they are really good. With Laine and Scheifele they will be a solid team for a long time.
    I thought the Predators were great and the Jets took care of them. The first game impressed me and I have been happy how the Knights have played thus far. I enjoy their frenetic energy.

the Preds won the Presidents cup...only 5 times in the last 20 years have the winners of the President's cup won the Stanley cup and only twice since 2006 (the beginning of the salary cap era) have the presidents cup winners won the Stanley cup. The Preds have an awesome team but something about having the best regular season does not translate into post season success.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    the Preds won the Presidents cup...only 5 times in the last 20 years have the winners of the President's cup won the Stanley cup and only twice since 2006 (the beginning of the salary cap era) have the presidents cup winners won the Stanley cup. The Preds have an awesome team but something about having the best regular season does not translate into post season success.
    I seem to remember the last time the President's Trophy winner won Lord Stanley's Cup

--SeattleUte

I seem to remember the last time the President's Trophy winner won Lord Stanley's Cup

You see me working. I don’t know if I even believe in the curse but it gives me a chance to remember 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pre-Historic Man

Four more wins to go. Go Knights!

Who cares about the Knights? The Las Vegas Aces started playing today.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Ho-hum. Looking forward to another 12 or 13 Stanley Cup finals in the next 13 or 14 years.

No fluke this. The Winnipeg Jets were reckoned the best team left alive, after besting in seven games the league’s other best team, and they ran into a buzzsaw. After losing Game 1, Vegas never trailed again in this series, 240 straight minutes. The fearsome Winnipeg offense was silenced, scoring only 10 goals in five games—just six in their final four. The Golden Knights were fresher, faster, stouter, and are 12-3 in the postseason. Not bad for a bunch of players nobody wanted a year ago—not even, necessarily, Vegas GM George McPhee.
    https://deadspin.com/holy-crap-the-g...hts-1826189286
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

false - they have players teams wanted but the league forced them to be made available. Choosing to not protect someone does not mean they were not wanted. The NHL set it up so that teams could not protect everyone they wanted and the result is VGK having 4 lines filled with 2nd and 3rd line guys which makes for a very balanced, cost-controlled team. They deserve props for executing their plan and exceeding expectations. Any time you make it to a Stanley Cup final it is an incredible achievement but lets not pretend this is a team of misfits.

I would like to see the Capitals and Ovechkin win tonight.

false - they have players teams wanted but the league forced them to be made available. Choosing to not protect someone does not mean they were not wanted. The NHL set it up so that teams could not protect everyone they wanted and the result is VGK having 4 lines filled with 2nd and 3rd line guys which makes for a very balanced, cost-controlled team. They deserve props for executing their plan and exceeding expectations. Any time you make it to a Stanley Cup final it is an incredible achievement but lets not pretend this is a team of misfits.
    If this was such common knowledge, why weren't people taking those 200-1 odds before the season started? Btw, the worst odds for any given NFL team to make the next Super Bowl is 100-1.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    If this was such common knowledge, why weren't people taking those 200-1 odds before the season started? Btw, the worst odds for any given NFL team to make the next Super Bowl is 100-1.
    I wasn't thinking about betting at the time. I would have put the odds at like 50-1. I don't know how common the knowledge was but I was certainly having these conversations last summer and i wasn't the only one. I don't follow NHL lines nor do I typically bet the NHL but man I should have.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    I would like to see the Capitals and Ovechkin win tonight.
    Me too! Up 2-0, now down 3-2, so many media in DC declaring the series over after the two road wins in Tampa...it's like they don't know the teams they cover or something.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

This is just one guy's opinion, but he didn't exactly agree. This was from before the season started. Same guy that wrote the bit I posted earlier (although that was from this morning).

There are two schools of thought when compiling an expansion team. One is to go get the very best players available, believing that the best way to build a foundation for a team and a fanbase is to be as competitive as you can and give fans a reason to get and stay invested. Another is to be as awful as you possibly can. The Vegas Golden Knights correctly subscribe to the latter.

With the obvious caveat that the roster is going to change between now and opening night—and the subcaveat that it’ll be the decent players who are most likely to be traded, making the roster even weaker—that is a bad, bad team.

Some forwards are going to have OK numbers only because someone has to score goals, but this team isn’t going to have more than a dozen regulation wins.

The first line—likely Perron and Neal centered by KHL signee Vadim Shipachyov—is fine. After that you get two lines of guys who would be third- or fourth-liners on better teams. The blueline pairings, currently led by Methot and Emelin, are a little better, but this is still a bunch of fourth defensemen, and they’re going to get torn up by the league’s better forwards. (Grimly, Methot and Emelin are expected to be among the first Golden Knights to be flipped in trades as soon as today.) Fleury is a good, capable starter, but it’s going to be a long year.

Which is fine! This team’s not built to win. GM George McPhee isn’t an idiot. He could have maybe assembled a borderline playoff team if he had taken the best available players, but expensive mediocrity is not a sustainable strategy. Much better to do what McPhee did, and accept picks in exchange for agreeing not to take actual useful players. That’s how the Golden Knights have three top-15 picks in this weekend’s entry draft, and obtained 10 picks over the next four drafts in addition to their own (which should be high). No wonder a rival GM said “I feel like I was just held hostage for the last two weeks.”
    https://deadspin.com/wow-the-golden-...bad-1796327043

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    This is just one guy's opinion, but he didn't exactly agree. This was from before the season started. Same guy that wrote the bit I posted earlier (although that was from this morning).

https://deadspin.com/wow-the-golden-...bad-1796327043
    I didn't see this back then but I definitely disagree.

Quite a performance by the Caps tonight. Game 7...here we go.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

All apologies to DNF, but go Lightning. What happened to our Lightning fan who posts here?

It still sucks that Hossa is unofficially retired from hockey. Long live the Demi-God.
    --SeattleUte

All apologies to DNF, but go Lightning. What happened to our Lightning fan who posts here?

It still sucks that Hossa is unofficially retired from hockey. Long live the Demi-God.
    I forgive you (not really). Look, the 'Ning have had their chances the last several years...time to move aside and let the Caps finally break through.

Nah. I win the hockey pool I am in if the Lightning win...caps need to continue to fall short. Sorry man. Should be fun to watch either way though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I forgive you (not really). Look, the 'Ning have had their chances the last several years...time to move aside and let the Caps finally break through.
    There you go. Should be a good finals.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

DNF it is time for Ovechkin to win the cup.
    --SeattleUte

Pre-Historic Man

DNF it is time for Ovechkin to win the cup.
    Home ice for the Knights.

lol at the nhl. an expansion team in the finals? what a joke of a league
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.