No announcement yet.

The Saadfather Part II - The 2017-2018 NHL Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• false - they have players teams wanted but the league forced them to be made available. Choosing to not protect someone does not mean they were not wanted. The NHL set it up so that teams could not protect everyone they wanted and the result is VGK having 4 lines filled with 2nd and 3rd line guys which makes for a very balanced, cost-controlled team. They deserve props for executing their plan and exceeding expectations. Any time you make it to a Stanley Cup final it is an incredible achievement but lets not pretend this is a team of misfits.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• I would like to see the Capitals and Ovechkin win tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
        false - they have players teams wanted but the league forced them to be made available. Choosing to not protect someone does not mean they were not wanted. The NHL set it up so that teams could not protect everyone they wanted and the result is VGK having 4 lines filled with 2nd and 3rd line guys which makes for a very balanced, cost-controlled team. They deserve props for executing their plan and exceeding expectations. Any time you make it to a Stanley Cup final it is an incredible achievement but lets not pretend this is a team of misfits.
        If this was such common knowledge, why weren't people taking those 200-1 odds before the season started? Btw, the worst odds for any given NFL team to make the next Super Bowl is 100-1.
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
          If this was such common knowledge, why weren't people taking those 200-1 odds before the season started? Btw, the worst odds for any given NFL team to make the next Super Bowl is 100-1.
          I wasn't thinking about betting at the time. I would have put the odds at like 50-1. I don't know how common the knowledge was but I was certainly having these conversations last summer and i wasn't the only one. I don't follow NHL lines nor do I typically bet the NHL but man I should have.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
            I would like to see the Capitals and Ovechkin win tonight.
            Me too! Up 2-0, now down 3-2, so many media in DC declaring the series over after the two road wins in Tampa...it's like they don't know the teams they cover or something.
            "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
              false - they have players teams wanted but the league forced them to be made available. Choosing to not protect someone does not mean they were not wanted. The NHL set it up so that teams could not protect everyone they wanted and the result is VGK having 4 lines filled with 2nd and 3rd line guys which makes for a very balanced, cost-controlled team. They deserve props for executing their plan and exceeding expectations. Any time you make it to a Stanley Cup final it is an incredible achievement but lets not pretend this is a team of misfits.
              This is just one guy's opinion, but he didn't exactly agree. This was from before the season started. Same guy that wrote the bit I posted earlier (although that was from this morning).

There are two schools of thought when compiling an expansion team. One is to go get the very best players available, believing that the best way to build a foundation for a team and a fanbase is to be as competitive as you can and give fans a reason to get and stay invested. Another is to be as awful as you possibly can. The Vegas Golden Knights correctly subscribe to the latter.

With the obvious caveat that the roster is going to change between now and opening night—and the subcaveat that it’ll be the decent players who are most likely to be traded, making the roster even weaker—that is a bad, bad team.

Some forwards are going to have OK numbers only because someone has to score goals, but this team isn’t going to have more than a dozen regulation wins.

The first line—likely Perron and Neal centered by KHL signee Vadim Shipachyov—is fine. After that you get two lines of guys who would be third- or fourth-liners on better teams. The blueline pairings, currently led by Methot and Emelin, are a little better, but this is still a bunch of fourth defensemen, and they’re going to get torn up by the league’s better forwards. (Grimly, Methot and Emelin are expected to be among the first Golden Knights to be flipped in trades as soon as today.) Fleury is a good, capable starter, but it’s going to be a long year.

Which is fine! This team’s not built to win. GM George McPhee isn’t an idiot. He could have maybe assembled a borderline playoff team if he had taken the best available players, but expensive mediocrity is not a sustainable strategy. Much better to do what McPhee did, and accept picks in exchange for agreeing not to take actual useful players. That’s how the Golden Knights have three top-15 picks in this weekend’s entry draft, and obtained 10 picks over the next four drafts in addition to their own (which should be high). No wonder a rival GM said “I feel like I was just held hostage for the last two weeks.”
              https://deadspin.com/wow-the-golden-...bad-1796327043
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                This is just one guy's opinion, but he didn't exactly agree. This was from before the season started. Same guy that wrote the bit I posted earlier (although that was from this morning).

https://deadspin.com/wow-the-golden-...bad-1796327043
                I didn't see this back then but I definitely disagree.

Comment

• Quite a performance by the Caps tonight. Game 7...here we go.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

• All apologies to DNF, but go Lightning. What happened to our Lightning fan who posts here?

It still sucks that Hossa is unofficially retired from hockey. Long live the Demi-God.
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                      All apologies to DNF, but go Lightning. What happened to our Lightning fan who posts here?

It still sucks that Hossa is unofficially retired from hockey. Long live the Demi-God.
                      I forgive you (not really). Look, the 'Ning have had their chances the last several years...time to move aside and let the Caps finally break through.

Comment

• Nah. I win the hockey pool I am in if the Lightning win...caps need to continue to fall short. Sorry man. Should be fun to watch either way though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                          I forgive you (not really). Look, the 'Ning have had their chances the last several years...time to move aside and let the Caps finally break through.
                          There you go. Should be a good finals.
                          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• DNF it is time for Ovechkin to win the cup.
                            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                              DNF it is time for Ovechkin to win the cup.
                              Home ice for the Knights.
                              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• lol at the nhl. an expansion team in the finals? what a joke of a league
                                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Working...
                                X